Anyone else grow a beard?

Spots

Guest Old goat

Grew it once, bout 35yrs ago, have had it ever since. Keep it pretty short the last several yrs but at one time was probably 7to 8 inches.

I've honestly never tried, but I'd like to sometime. It's just that transition when you go from a clean face through the dirty-hillbilly-too-lazy-to-shave-and-your-unshaven-face-looks-like-ass phase before you get to the full on man beard that stops me.

That's funny right there!!!

Dave

I guess I got blessed with good "beard genes" Ive been able to grow a full beard since I was sixteen. And Dave sometimes you just gotta man up. I have heard a lot of people make that complaint though.

I can't get past the itching stage. How you can wear a full beard in this heat is beyond me! I guess I'll try again for your "Fall" meet. My "Back Fourty" boss don't mind facial hair too much. My "Front Fourty" boss doesn't like facial hair. She won't even let me wear my earring, even though all the girls I work with think I'm hotter than sizzling dynamite!

I suppose we shall see. I guess I will "man up"...even if it causes me to scratch bald spots on my face!

Dave

Guest nysos

I maintain a "chin strap" beard all the time. I keep it pretty neatly trimmed as after my facial hair grows to a certain length it starts to curl back under and itches like the devil. I can't really grow a good looking full beard, I have a small amount of cherokee blood in me and have some spotchy areas where hair doesn't grow on my face. My grandfather has significantly more cherokee that myself cant grow a beard worth a damn. He tried growing one not too long ago and it looked like someone that had a normal beard got drunk and tried to trim it with a pair of clippers with no guard on it.

I have worn a beard since before I could grow one.

Until I was somewhere in my mid twenties it grew patchy and looked bad. I still wore it.

I wear a beard more because I hate to shave. Or at least that is how it started. Now, after wearing a beard for as long as I have, well, I can't imagine life without it.

I am also one of those cats that has brown hair and a red beard. My family is of Irish Descent, so I guess that makes sense. My mother and brother are both bright redheads. My daughter has red/brown hair that is getting darker as she gets older.

I keep mine trimmed, although I have been known to let it grow out.

This picture is a couple of years old, but it shows the red clear as day for me and my daughter:

working.jpg

I might also add, that the beard has a calming effect on my daughter, to the point that she will not go near a man without a beard.

That one took us a few years to figure out. I have a friend who the first time he meets the family, my daughter will talk to him. After a year or two, she has no problems with him, ever. My brother on the other hand, whom she has seen weekly her entire life, she still gets shy around.

Finally one day my buddy leaves and I come back in the house and she asks "Where did Matt go, with the beard?"

It all clicked after that.

I had a really long beard for about 15 years, but after moving down here to TN I had to trim it up because of the heat, I have also been told that I look 20 years younger without all of the facial hair, which unfortunately is pretty grey at this point.

The last time I was beardless was 1994 when the company I worked for dropped their no beards policy. I can't grow something quite as impressive as some of you guys, but I do like it. I keep mine trimmed short with an adjustable beard trimmer and scissors.

I didn't shave for a year out of laziness, I looked like a 14 yr old puerto rican. Nobody in the family can grow a beard but I don't have much leg/arm hair either. I can't do long head hair its waay too nappy, thick & hot. Buzzcut every 4 weeks for 10 yrs. When I was in my teens I wanted nothing so much as the lorenzo lamas ponytail lol. I dont admit that often either wow

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Guest Lester Weevils

When young had the ponytail and ZZ top beard for some years, then walked it back to about 1 or 2 inch hair and beard barely long enough to grab. I'd run the beard with the electric dog clippers every week, with a quarter-inch cutting guard, to keep it fairly consistent length with minimal maintenance.

Main reason I went from big beard to short beard, then later to no beard was vanity as much as anything else. I like beard because it is low maintenance compared to shaving and I'm not incredibly vain. OTOH when I got a little north of age 30 and enough white got in the long beard that cute gals at the drive thru were trying to give me the senior citizen discount, vanity would not tolerate the long beard any more.

It took another decade or so for the short beard to turn completely white. But a good part of the income was still playing music, and when negotiating with club managers many years younger, and they start calling you gramps, then it could affect getting and keeping music gigs. So thats when I started shaving.

About the same time started shaving, it got too much trouble to go to the barber every month, so just got in the habit of every couple of weeks, cut the hair down to the scalp with the dog clippers with no cutting guard on em. Right after a cut there is fuzz but you can't pinch a grip on it, and then when it gets more than a quarter inch, time to do it again. I'm not against shaving the head except that is too high-maintenance, Only takes 5 minutes once or twice a month with the dog clippers to maintain a buzz cut.

I work at home and only shave once or twice a week when I have to go somewhere. The rest of the time have 1 to 5 days beard and probably look like a wino or derelict, but doesn't matter unless going out where people see me.

A friend had the kewlest beard. I'd try that one but my beard hair won't behave. He had a massive king tut goatee. Several inches long, perfectly square on all four sides and a square bottom. Dunno how he managed that, but it was great.

I'm an Injun' (granny was half Indian) Norwegian, Scott hybrid apparently.

I have bald spots, super duper blond (I'm talking colorless almost!) and red facial hair. Currently sporting a 4 inch'ish goatee and 1/2 inch'ish cheeks. I buzz it about once a week. I'm too lazy for maintenance.

Edited by strickj

I'm an Injun' (granny was half Indian) Norwegian, Scott hybrid apparently.

Most of Us in this country have more mix the wood pile than you can shake a stick at.

We are all Mutts.

Guest boatme99

In my yute I had hair and a beard. I've kept the beard.

I've done it all. Gone from the full blown Z.Z. navel scratcher and belt length ponytail to cutting off the topsides with a #1 sheepshear and keeping the old white chin strap high and tight. Makes it easier to massage my chins.

I have no desire to look like some 40 year old Kalifornia cool guy with the shaved pate and grey waxed ponytail.

I have a mirror. I know I'm bald.