Southpaw only poll

gregintenn

Southpaws only Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever owned a left handed firearm?

• I have owned, or do own at least one.
    • Never felt the need. I can use right hand guns just fine.

National southpaw day was a few days back, so in late honor of that, I wondered how many of you lefties use specifically left handed guns, guns that pretty much work either way, or have adapted to the standard right handed actions.

I fall somewhere in between the last two catergories. I shoot a lot of bolt rifles that are all right handed, but I prefer shotguns such as over/unders, side by sides, or Model 37 Ithacas that don't really matter.

I also have a fondness for lever rifles. They are pretty much ambidextrous as well.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I answerd "Never felt the need. I can use right hand guns just fine."

I am a bit both hands, shoot pistol with both (better left, left eyed), Rifle left, bow right(rember left eyed) I am NO GOOD at the bow.

My Saiga 12 and 308 are made for the correct handed shooter.

Edited by RED333

I am left eye dominant(right eye blind) so I shoot long guns southpaw.I have never owned a left hand long gun.Really the only long guns I can think of that would require a specific left hand action would be a bolt gun and I have never been into those anyway.It really amuses me the marketing of these left hand ARs nowdays.Unless you have an older Colt model all AR recievers have a brass deflector and you can manipulate the fire control levers just as easily with the left hand firing the gun as the right.Reloading a mag is about the same amount of effort from either side as the mag and slide releases are on opposite sides anyway.

I am left eye dominant(right eye blind) so I shoot long guns southpaw.I have never owned a left hand long gun.Really the only long guns I can think of that would require a specific left hand action would be a bolt gun and I have never been into those anyway.It really amuses me the marketing of these left hand ARs nowdays.Unless you have an older Colt model all AR recievers have a brass deflector and you can manipulate the fire control levers just as easily with the left hand firing the gun as the right.Reloading a mag is about the same amount of effort from either side as the mag and slide releases are on opposite sides anyway.

Well, some people object to brass being ejected right in front of their face. It never really bothered me.

Guest 6.8 AR

I'm a lefty, but have always shot right handed. It's an eye thing. If I did shoot lefty, I would think ambi pistol controls would be more important than anything on a long gun.

I put them on my 1911's, but that's only because I wanted to see how much I could change on one. I don't

really use them, just look at them. Must be that Glock mentality creeping through. :D

They could'nt beat the demons out of yall?

The Nuns tried, but it did not stick.

My lefty is a Savage MkII bolt rifle. But IMHO a righty bolt rifle is more comfortable to shoot. Bought it from Gander some years ago. Saw it and had to have it. No sorry at all about this impulse purchase at any rate.

I grew up shooting right handed long guns left handed. When I got into handguns and learned about eye dominance, I switched and started shooting right handed. Took a bit of adjustment, but works fine. I'm probably much more comfortable shooting weak hand/side than a typical right handed shooter.

Edited by peejman

All my guns would be left handed if possible. Far, far too many cannot be fixed. A pistol has to have the mag release, slide release, and safety release all on the left. Only a very, very few can do this --- my nano works because it has no safety or slide release and the mag drop is swappable.

I am a lefty, but right eye dominant. I carry lefty, but shoot everything else right-handed.

This is me. Draw from left side, trigger pull with left hand, right eye dominant. Long guns I shoot right handed.

Edited by blewbayou

In 1970, in Army basic training, when issued my M-16A1, my drill instructor didn't take kindly when I asked, "do you have this in left hand"? I was serious too!

Nothing like having to do a bunch of push up's for a serious inquiry.

So, everything I own is right handed except for my Browning A-bolt 30-.06. So many years having to adapt and over come, it's awkward using anything left handed anymore.

In 1970, in Army basic training, when issued my M-16A1, my drill instructor didn't take kindly when I asked, "do you have this in left hand"? I was serious too!

Nothing like having to do a bunch of push up's for a serious inquiry.

So, everything I own is right handed except for my Browning A-bolt 30-.06. So many years having to adapt and over come, it's awkward using anything left handed anymore.

I cannot use a LH rifle either, too many years of right handed junk. But I really like a LH pistol.

Guest rebeldrummer

I a,m right handed and left eye do dominant.

I shoot pistols either handed and prefer to shoot rifles left handed.

Had to get used to shooting RH bolts.....but manage just fine.

I have a LH Stag so AR shooting is all southpaw!

I also shoot a bow left handed.....

Right eye dominant, shoot handguns left-handed and long guns right-handed. Kick, dribble, drive nails, brush teeth, bat, golf, swing tennis rackets and ping pong paddles left-handed, but throw, write, and eat right handed. Early bait-casting fishing reels seemed to be invented by a southpaw. On semi-auto handguns, I've always wondered why the mag release is always on the left side of the gun--I've always thought it made things easier for lefties and harder for right-handed shooters. Some right-handed slide stops can be a pain to reach, though.