Would my SKS make a reasonable hunting weapon?

Pilipo

I posted this question with the nervous expectation of hearing that SK / AK is a military gun with no place in hunting game (which is something I have heard before...). This response has been down right educational. Thanks for the valuable input. I will post pics when I blast one. (assuming I blast one)

Caster, Thanks for the offer! PM sent.

bucnbal, VERY helpful info.

gregintenn, I am will remind any snickering nay sayers that I have a loaded SKS and that they are morons. Thanks

BPE, I will blast at least two for your one. :cool:

And if you want to try different weights of cast bullets I will make the same offer as caster. I have 150, 160, 180 and 240 grain 308 bullet molds. The 240's should stabilize in the 9.5 twist barrel but I would verify. And if they fly stabile I guarantee they will tumble in a deer.

And if you want I can cast them out of much softer lead as well to help them mushroom.

What reloading equipment do you have?

If you want to load on the cheap you can buy cheap steel cases ammo and tear it down. Then load the with good powder and bullets. That is what I did for reloading x39 cheaply. There is nothing wrong with the primers in Tula. And no need to worry about collecting the brass to reload.

Dolomite

Nothing wrong with the SKS for hunting deer or pigs. Like already said, use some good ammo. I've done what Dolomite suggested, pulling bullets from steel cases and using the cases for a good load.

As far as what other hunters think, yes, there are plenty of ignorant Fudds out there. They are only worthy of being ignored. There are also plenty of hunters using an SKS. If you enjoy your hunt and decide to keep doing it and using the SKS, you may want to find a lightweight stock. You can really trim the weight by changing the stock and taking off the bayonet if it's still attached.

Will

I have met deer hunters that think they need a 7mm Ultra Mag, 300 Win Mag and even a 458 Win Mag to deer hunt in East Tennessee.

I also know a guy who has hunted with a 22 Hornet and been very successful.

You just need to know your limitations and be able to accurately determine distances.

Dolomite

THe only adverse comments about using an SKS from is, don't pimp it out. If it didn't come that way, throw it away. If it says Tapco, it's Crapco.

One thing other hunters will go cross eyed over is if you get a good cast load that shoots well, developed; They will be at a loss for words when the pigs hit the ground. Also, smooth = fast as we all know so learn to use the stripper clips the right way and you'll be laying waste to pigs faster than anyone else. As far as deer. THe bullets I offered are 168g. Put that in the engine room and the deer will hit the ground, shut it's eyes and be off to the next life.

THe only adverse comments about using an SKS from is, don't pimp it out. If it didn't come that way, throw it away. If it says Tapco, it's Crapco.

Hogwash. My Russian SKS is pimped and has superb accuracy with whatever I feed it. Not only does it look fantastic, it shoots VERY tight groups at 100 and 150 with iron sights. In fact, I TEASE hunters with high power scopes and call them "amateurs". :cool:

:hiding:

I posted this question with the nervous expectation of hearing that SK / AK is a military gun with no place in hunting game (which is something I have heard before...). This response has been down right educational. Thanks for the valuable input. I will post pics when I blast one. (assuming I blast one)

Caster, Thanks for the offer! PM sent.

bucnbal, VERY helpful info.

gregintenn, I am will remind any snickering nay sayers that I have a loaded SKS and that they are morons. Thanks

BPE, I will blast at least two for your one. :cool:

My mauser is a military gun by any standard that your SK is a military gun. And only a fool would say the mauser is not one of the best deer rifles ever made, if a bit heavy --- the good Lord knows that fools butchered enough of them into "deer rifles" (somehow cutting up the barrel and the stock = improved).

There are only 2 concerns when you are hunting after you have made sure to follow any extra requirements put in place by the law: 1) can the round kill the animal in one clean hit and 2) can the firearm deliver the round accurately enough to kill the animal in one clean hit.

Think about it this way: there are many deer anchored with bows each season. Which do you have more faith in? Your SKS, or a stick and string?

I will add, there are probably more deer taken with crusty old 30/30's than all the fancy super short over compensating belted humpety what the heck magnums combined.

Only a man's deep freezer is proof of his success. Not his rifle.

I will admit that I am a deer hunting noob.

But isn't 4" a bit small for the vitals on a deer? I mean 4" at 100 yards is a pretty good feat with a SKS and iron sights and 4" at 150 yards would amaze me.

I think paperplate size would be a more appropriate size for a deer's vital zone.

Dolomite

I'm a deer hunting noob as well, but I work with lots of avid hunters. The vast majority of them have never shot at a deer more than 100 yds away in TN (the guys that go to Ohio excepted). Between the hills and trees, most shots are within 50 yds.

• Like 1

I'm a deer hunting noob as well, but I work with lots of avid hunters. The vast majority of them have never shot at a deer more than 100 yds away in TN (the guys that go to Ohio excepted). Between the hills and trees, most shots are within 50 yds.

This is what my family and friends generally say as well.

4" at 100 yds is not necessary. Im not a deer hunting noob, but minute of paper plate will be just fine with a good expandable ammo.

I've shot deer high in the vital zone, low, thru the shoulder in the neck, behind and in front if the shoulder, all died within a short jaunt.

Here is a good illustration. Anything in the pink circle is deadly. Thru the heart is usually DRT

1C6138B3-BA9D-4BD0-82B4-9D77EFFA6B31-29467-0000230345EB24B3.jpg

Like said above most shots will be inside 75 yds.

Like many have said, the gun will do the job. Just make sure you have good hunting ammo. One other thing to remember is if you do not load your own, fmj's are illegal to hunt with in Tennessee. As long as it will put venison in the freezer, I say hunt with what you got.

I posted this question with the nervous expectation of hearing that SK / AK is a military gun with no place in hunting game (which is something I have heard before...)

Heck, if that is what is bothering you then you should know that you can get a plastic 'Monte Carlo' style stock for your SKS to give it the 'hunting' look rather than the 'military' look. Totally unnecessary, of course, but it is an option. I currently have one on my SKS just because it was given to me (free), the length and style make it easier for me to shoulder and get a good cheek weld and it doesn't require modifying the rifle so it is 100% reversible (I kept the original stock.)

http://www.sksstocks.com/ATI-SKS-Monte-Carlo-Stock-p/ati-sks0300-.htm

Come to think of it, I got the rifle free, too, some years back. My mom bought it for herself and ended up not liking it so she gave it to me. That was back when they could still be had for $200 or less pretty much anywhere.

I honestly haven't shot mine a whole lot but would like to either get one of the Wilson front sights for it

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WU&prodID=WU60214&prodTitle=Williams%20SKS%20Rifle%20Fire%20Sight%20Bead

or maybe just one of the high visibility replacement front pins.