I need a brother, a friend, someone...

Guest HillyKarma

Guest HillyKarma

My girlfriend of 2 years makes me happier than anything else in this world (yes, even moreso than the satisfying pop of a .45!)

She always makes me smile,and she's always been nothing but great to me, but there is one thing that scares me more than anything else...

She has cancer.

She is a wonderful and sweet girl, but she is only 18 years old.

It really hurts me to see her in this pain, and she always smiles and tries to make it seem like she's getting better, but her health is deteriorating rapidly, and she can't hide that.

I just need someone who can maybe help guide me through this, or maybe someone who has had a similar situation in their own life.

Thank you for reading, and thank you even more for your support.

God bless.

Sorry to hear about this...I'll keep you guys in my prayers. The only true comfort I have found in tough times is to pray to God and know that He is listening - He wants you to bring this to Him - and mean everything you say to Him from the bottom of your heart. Pray specifically for her doctors also. Then turn it over to Him. Again, I will be praying for you and your girlfriend.

Best Wishes, B

• Like 1

God Bless you and your girlfriend. You are a good person as you are worried about HER, thinking about HER, wanting to do something for HER.

Talk to your pastor. Your pastor is the one you talk to, even if you pick a church at random and walk in. Just knock on the door. There are so many things that happen to us that have never happened to us before and we don't know what to do, what to say, what to think about. A pastor does. You and your girlfriend have no experience in this life situation, but your pastor, any pastor, does. Spiritual help, and practical help, is a conversation away.

I notice that you are in Smyrna. I recommend Father Jacob at St. Luke's, on Old Nashville Highway. I don't know if you are Catholic, it kind of doesn't matter all that much. That's who I talk to. He's a good man, and he's backed up with a good team that knows the territory. Others could point you to other pastors who are equally capable.

Edited by QuietDan
Guest HillyKarma

Thanks to all of you. Your prayers are greatly appreciated.

Thoughts and Prays are all I can offier, Do yall belong to a church?

God Bless you and your girlfriend. You are a good person as you are worried about HER, thinking about HER, wanting to do something for HER.

Talk to your pastor. Your pastor is the one you talk to, even if you pick a church at random and walk in. Just knock on the door. There are so many things that happen to us that have never happened to us before and we don't know what to do, what to say, what to think about. A pastor does. You and your girlfriend have no experience in this life situation, but your pastor, any pastor, does. Spiritual help, and practical help, is a conversation away.

I notice that you are in Smyrna. I recommend Father Jacob at St. Luke's, on Old Nashville Highway. I don't know if you are Catholic, it kind of doesn't matter all that much. That's who I talk to. He's a good man, and he's backed up with a good team that knows the territory. Others could point you to other pastors who are equally capable.

And yes, I actually am Catholic, a recent convert though.

Guest 6.8 AR

You love her. Keep her spirits up and encourage her. However things end up, knowing you are loved means everything.

And take QuietDan's and others' advice. My prayers go to both of you.

A guy that I went to high school with was diagnosed with lukemia about 8 months ago. They gave him a very bad report only gave him a couple weeks to live with or without treatment. He has a wife and young children so he chose to take treatments and he beat it. A couple weeks ago, he preached his first message in months. God can heal. If its through the doctors and treatment its no less of a miracle in my opinion.

Hang in there and PRAY! You are a good man!

I'm going through a tough time too. I just lost my fiance and best friend of 20+ years over emotional problems she wouldn't get help for. This is my first weekend alone and it is very difficult. I have done A LOT of praying.

I’m a cancer survivor. Fear of the unknown can as bad as the disease itself. Because you are not a family member you may not have been present when the Doctors presented this to your girlfriend and her family. If you weren’t ask her to take you with her to talk to the Doctor. Make a list before you go and get your questions answered. Have the prognosis explained to you in detail.

Prayers always help.

My had had cervical and uterine cancer. It can be a tough road. Not just dealing with the medical part but with the emotional and pschological aspects as well.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Take care of her but remember to take care of yourself as well do not let your self get run down or sick from worrying.

My wife is cancer free and has been for 10 years.

I agree with those above who recommended a pastor and a church.

It is pretty incredible to watch a loving church family rally around and support someone going through difficult times.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your girl friend.

Hilly, I'm very sorry to hear about the troubles you both are facing. A very similar thing happened to me as welll when I was about your age, a girl I had known all my life was diagnosed with leukemia and unfortunately passed within weeks of the news. I hope your situation has a much happier resolution for you two.

I would like to say I commend you on being a fine young man and sticking through this with your girl, I think a lot of young people your age would be looking for a tactful way to cut and run to escape the drama. Good on you, stay by your girl and cherish whatever time you are given.

It sounds like she has the fighting spirit and that can make all the difference in the world, she hasn't given up hope so don't fall into despair, for her sake as well as your own.

Although I am no longer a church going man I echo the thoughts of those who are, seek comfort in your faith and parish.

I'll be rooting for you guys.

Nick

P.S. Brother if you ever need to get it all out and talk to someone who's walked a mile in those shoes, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Sorry to hear this. All I can add is do not let appearances fool you or get you down ---- the treatments are rough and often are a bigger part of the symptoms. Her Dr will know how she is really doing, rather than gnaw on yourself at how she *seems* to be doing to *you* take him aside and get the truth (this can take some insisting on your part). Knowing is better than guessing and worrying.

If you need to talk, pm away.

Got a response back

there are some Stephen Ministries in Murfreesboro, contacts as follows:

Murfreesboro Seventh Day Adventist James Goodman 615-896-5925

Trinity United Methodist Nan deAndrade 615-896-0413

Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Mary Sue Dillon 615-893-1843

St. Paul's Episcopal Ralph Smith 615-893-3780

St. Mark's United Methodist Dr. Fred Hembree 615-893-3455

Also, check with First UMC of Smyrna, they may also have a Stephen Ministry.

Here is a description of the interdenominational Stephen Ministry - http://www.stephenministries.org/stephenministry/default.cfm/917

Bert

Guest HillyKarma

Thanks Bert :)

And good news guys, we went this morning to get some bloodwork results and she had a Chemo session, and they said that the cancer cell count is down to about 40 percent of the original count :)

Thanks Bert :)

And good news guys, we went this morning to get some bloodwork results and she had a Chemo session, and they said that the cancer cell count is down to about 40 percent of the original count :)

This sounds pretty good. Willpower and a positive attitude really matters. The brain lights up differently when you know someone loves you.