Ready to buy a Glock 19...Give me a thumbs up or your reason not to

Guest BPM

I wasnt a huge glock fan until I shot a Gen 4 and was pleasantly surprised. I swear it felt like a totally different gun compared to the earlier ones. I just wanna hear if anybody has any better ideas as to what to get for under $600 out the door. I really like the SR9c but its no Glock. I havent shot one though. I've also thought about a CZ 75, likely the P-07 but again I havent shot one. Just looking for some feedback from others. Thanks!

Like Hickok45 said, "You can't go wrong with a Glock 19" The Gen4 Glock 19 was my first firearm purchase ever, and it's still one of my favorites... I've now dedicated it as my competition gun, and put Truglo sights on it, and upgraded the trigger to a ZEV. I know it's not the best choice for competition, but it's served me well.

G17/19 are among the iconic handguns ever made.

The finger grooves don't groove with me though; and never could find a Gen2 when I first got back "into" guns, wound up with 3 different XD 9s. Love 'em.

Revised to say "if that's what you decide you like" nobody here in their right mind will try to talk you out of a Glock, especially a 19.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I wasnt a huge glock fan until I shot a Gen 4 and was pleasantly surprised. I swear it felt like a totally different gun compared to the earlier ones. I just wanna hear if anybody has any better ideas as to what to get for under $600 out the door. I really like the SR9c but its no Glock. I havent shot one though. I've also thought about a CZ 75, likely the P-07 but again I havent shot one. Just looking for some feedback from others. Thanks!

an SR9C is every bit as good as a glock or better and to just blatently say "Its no Glock" off the cuff liek that when your experience as a gun owner is

in its beginner stage I find most puzziling ,also PO7 is also on par with any Glock ,its a matter of which style trigger you prefer

Edited by SonnyCrockett

The Glock 19 is the best value pistol that company produce IMMV I like it, but I've also been impressed with the Ruger SR9 and the SR9c is great. You will find far more after market product's avalable for the Glock and it is mor muzzle heavy with a thicker slide which will reduce muzzle flip. It will also make the G-19 easier to rack the slide back for some shooters, simple trade off's but more noticable to a smaller group of shooters.

I've owned several G19s and they have been totally reliable. Grip angle can be a turn off for some folks, especially if you switch back and forth to guns with "normal" grip angle. Having to pull the trigger to disassemble can be a negative; it's a training issue really. Take at look at S&W M&P or FN FNS series also.

I won't talk a man out of a Glock if that is what he wants. I suggest them more often than not.

I have and carry a Gen 3 Glock 19. I have had it and abused it for years. I go months and sometimes years without cleaning it. It eats anything I feed it, including cheap steel case and +P+ loads. It is light, comfortable and completely trustworthy.

However, you show interest in other guns that you have no experience with. The Glock trigger is a Glock trigger. It is what it is. Once you understand it, you are find with it. But it doesn't translate at all to a Single Action trigger, or a Double Action trigger, and most definitely not a DA/SA trigger such as the CZ.

I am not as up on CZs as I could be, especially since I own a CZ clone. I think the P07 is the polymer variant? If so that is a trade off you have to decide if you want in a carry gun. A steel gun is heavier, and absorbs recoil better. A lighter gun carries better. Both have their benefits, but in a carry often, shoot rarely scenario, a polymer gun wins. Hell, anything in 9mm wins.

I have an IMI/Magnum Research Jericho/Baby Eagle. It is a CZ clone. Mine is the compact version. It is heavy, it is accurate. It has a DA/SA trigger that is very different from a Glock. I am very fond of it. I shoot as well with it as I do my Glock and I have only had it for several months. No complaints there.

What I suggest is to head to a range and try a few different guns out. See what suits your fancy.

However, if you have already made your mind up and you go buy a Glock, there is nothing wrong there and it is a fine choice that will serve anyone well, unless they just hate it.
  • Administrator
I have a Gen 3 and it's one of my favorites. However my M&P 9 has eclipsed it in terms of firearms that I prefer to use, carry, shoot. Picking a firearm is a subjective exercise, much like choosing what car you want to buy, what church you want to join, etc. My recommendation is to try a few.

If you [u]like[/u] the Glock 19, enjoy shooting it, are accurate with it and will carry it, then you should buy it. Perhaps the most important thing being whether you will carry it. If you won't carry it, then there's no sense owning it. Behind that is the matter of whether you are accurate with it, but that's a problem that can be corrected if you're not.
You just can't go wrong with a G19. I love Ruger firearms but the SR9 has no where near the selling points of a G19. The SR9 has more, complicated parts and a handful of aftermarket accessories. The aftermarket and for that matter Glock factory parts for Glocks is endless. The first SR9 I ever heald me and the gun store clerk took it apart and got the slide stuck trying to put it back together so I was turned off from the start. The SR9 generally is a better buy than Glock19 unless you can get blue label Glocks for $400.
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1351845186' post='837628']
G17/19 are among[i] the[/i] iconic handguns ever made.

The finger grooves don't groove with me though; and never could find a Gen2 when I first got back "into" guns, wound up with 3 different XD 9s. Love 'em.

Nobody here in their right mind will try to talk you out of a Glock, especially a 19.

- OS
[/quote]

i am the same way on the finger grooves but just overlooked it because i love glocks, but i just recently found a Gen 2 after searching for a long time. People DO NOT wanna give up there Gen 2 19's.
Top choice for a Glock is a G19 4th gen. They do everything very well except look pretty. Personally I think my P01 outperforms it on accuracy and ergonomics, and it is arguably as reliable as the G19. Being an alloy framed pistol it is almost as light as polymer, and comes in at about 600 bucks. My big turnoff for the sr9c was the huge red flag that appears on top of the slide with a loaded chamber. I prefer to G19 to the xd's as well.
[quote name='Patton' timestamp='1351865458' post='837723']You just can't go wrong with a G19. I love Ruger firearms but the SR9 has no where near the selling points of a G19. The SR9 has more, complicated parts and a handful of aftermarket accessories. The aftermarket and for that matter Glock factory parts for Glocks is endless. The first SR9 I ever heald me and the gun store clerk took it apart and got the slide stuck trying to put it back together so I was turned off from the start. The SR9 generally is a better buy than Glock19 unless you can get blue label Glocks for $400.[/quote]curious as to how you got the slide stuck. I wanted a glock 19 but for the money I ended up with the sr9c absolutely love the trigger, and on a carry gun I dont like to modify it.

Sent from Behind a Set of Crosshairs

My first pistol was a gen 2 Glock 19. I carried it for years. It was a great gun that functioned flawlessly the entire time I owned it. Unfortunately, I sold it, and bought a gen 4 19 when they came out. Since then, I've been plagued with consistent stove pipes, and a lot of brass hitting me in the face. I've spent the last few years switching out ejectors, extractors, and springs. None of it has helped.
I would recommend searching for an earlier gen Glock, or a used gen 4 that has a few thousand rounds through it, as not all gen 4's are having issues. As far as the grip, the finger grooves are easy to get rid of with a Dremel.
You might also look at the S&W M&P series. They are another highly regarded pistol, that a LGS has advertised for $398, and there's also a $50 rebate if you're LE or .mil. Edited by SlapChopDonkey
there is nothing "wrong" with a glock except personal preference. The same can be said of *most* guns in the same price range, though.

The stuff I like about a glock:
accurate, reliable, rugged, simple, good sights, decent controls.

the stuff I dislike about a glock:
fat, funky grip angle, annoying trigger "safety" device, long spongy trigger pull, springs are a little strong (easy to fix), cannot change the grips.

As you can see, every single one of my dislikes are just personal taste.

The only thing I will say in conclusion is this:
do not get a glock just because a billionty other people have them and tell you to get a glock. If you like them, then by all means get one, but if you have not fired one, its the single most popular brand and should be NO problem to borrow one to try. Shoot one before you buy it, and then if you like it, go for it. If you do not like it, tell us why and we can point to something else that counters your dislike. For example if you mostly like it but that grip angle is all wrong, XD is pretty close to a glock but fixes that issue.

edit: failed @ reading, I thought it said you had not shot one, but you have. in that case, if you liked it.... that is all you need to know, is whether YOU liked it or not. Its not going to break and will be tough to wear out, its probably not going to malfunciton often (any gun can, if dirty enough or wrong ammo or bad grip, stuff happens). Its all about what YOU like. Edited by Jonnin
Sounds like you don't need much convincing after shooting it. Before I bought my Gen 3 G19 I tried to handle and shoot as many guns I was interested in as possible (M&P, SR9, G19). I shot a friend's SR9c and liked it, fondled and dry fired the M&P and Gen 3 and 4 G19s. The gen 3 felt the best in my hand, and it's a Glock. Love it and recommend it for others to try...but like I said, sounds like you don't need much convincing.

G&L in Hendersonville is who I got mine from, paid in cash so they gave me a little discount, and have since bought other firearms from them.
TWO Thumbs up on the Glock 19. Don't listen to the whiners. Get the Glock 19. It is a truly great side arm. It will shoot where you aim it and it will never fail you.

"Waaaaa! The grip angle isn't right"
"Waaaaaa! The trigger is weird!"
"Waaaa! The sights are funny"
"Waaaa! It's plastic!"
"Waahaaahaaaa! It's not made in America!" Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
[quote name='ANDERSON MEDIC' timestamp='1351866303' post='837739']
Top choice for a Glock is a G19 4th gen.
[/quote]

My top pick for a G19 would be the 3rd gen simply because the 4th gen [i]has[/i] suffered some freshman year problems with the extractor and the funky dual-recoil spring assembly. If I had a G4 I'd shoot the hell out of it before deciding to carry it.
  • Administrator
[quote name='Will Carry' timestamp='1351868857' post='837761']
TWO Thumbs up on the Glock 19. Don't listen to the whiners. Get the Glock 19. It is a truly great side arm. It will shoot where you aim it and it will never fail you.

"Waaaaa! The grip angle isn't right"
"Waaaaaa! The trigger is weird!"
"Waaaa! The sights are funny"
"Waaaa! It's plastic!"
"Waahaaahaaaa! It's not made in America!"
[/quote]

Persuasive.
  • Like 1