Single Action Revolvers

mikegideon

I have had a hankering lately for a single action revolver, specifically a replica of the Colt Single Action Army. I have done some reading, and am leaning toward the Uberti Cattleman line. It needs to be chambered in 45 Colt. I plan to reload the caliber.

The girlfriend has decided to get me one (with my help) for Christmas. Since she'll be springing for it, I'm going to be more concerned about price than my normal gun purchases. I may even get one transferred if I can't find one locally.

I've seen some six guns in some of the local shops, but have always ignored them. Frankly, this thing will be a toy. I plan to shoot it some, maybe even a lot. I still won't have any practical use for it.

So... who in the Nashville area has a decent stock of six shooters? What are your comments on buying one? Other brands? Any other guidance?

BTW... I'm not interested in a Blackhawk, and only have limited interest in a Vaquero.
Mike: Find some of our buddies that are SASS shooters. I'm sure there are some in the Nashville area. They could probably point ya to someone who handles the ubertis. While i on the subject; i love the ubertis, especially the Cimmarons. We have several cap and ball revolvers. The fit and finish is good. The action may need tinkering with; but that aint a big deal.

leroy
About a month ago I was seriously jonesing for a Ruger Vaquero. They are beautiful handguns. Decided to focus on a .357 model so as to not deal with another caliber. Still haven't found one at a price I can live with.

I would recommend getting one of those.

[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354414587' post='853628']
About a month ago I was seriously jonesing for a Ruger Vaquero. They are beautiful handguns. Decided to focus on a .357 model so as to not deal with another caliber. Still haven't found one at a price I can live with.

I would recommend getting one of those.
[/quote]

I wrestled with it quite a bit. The Vaquero is an option, but not a true SAA clone. If I was gonna improve the SAA, I would probably just get a Glock :). Haven't ruled it out completely... just leaning the other way.

[quote name='Murgatroy' timestamp='1354415522' post='853642']
I think the Hombre model is still available from Academy. I don't know if it is available in .45LC, but I know that the .357 variant is priced less than three bills.
[/quote]

Yep. It's available at Bass Pro too. Kinda has a ratty finish. I'll probably go with something sexier. The girlfriend has upped the budget. It's not a US Firearms budget, but there's enough money to get a decent finish.

I have a Colt Single Action Peacemaker .22, that I love! It will be my son's one of these days. When go to the range, that's the one he wants to shoot. I also have a Pietta 1858 Remington .44 BP revolver. And tomorrow, I am purchasing a Ruger Blackhawk conversion in .357/9mm. I've been wanting one for years and a buddy is finally selling it. He texted me this afternoon and told me it was mine. Can't wait to get it!!! :)

Edited by Moped

[quote name='Moped' timestamp='1354415821' post='853644']
.... And tomorrow, I am purchasing a Ruger Blackhawk conversion in .357/9mm. I've been wanting one for years and a buddy is finally selling it. He texted me this afternoon and told me it was mine. Can't wait to get it!!! :)
[/quote]

You'll love it. Nothing like shooting 9mm and it feeling like .22mag. :)

- OS

• Like 2
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1354416100' post='853647']
[img]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt209/gregintenn/IMG_0735.jpg[/img]
Nothing wrong with single actions!!!
[/quote]

I figured you had some. That Colt looks like a sweetheart. I wish I could afford to play.
The blue/casehardened one is a second gen 45 Colt, and the nickel is a 22/22 mag Frontier scout. To be honest, I'm not sure you are getting much more except the name when you buy Colt over Uberti, Cimmaron, etc. for shooting. My father has an 357 mag SAA clone made in Italy. I'm not sure of the brand, but it is a tack driver.
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1354387068' post='853416']
What are your comments on buying one?
[/quote]
I would love to have a cowboy gun for nothing more than a range toy. My problem is that I want my copy of a SAA to be DA. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
Unfortunately the only manufacturers that do that are foreign; so not an option for me. I keep hoping Ruger will do the Vaquero in DA, but I’m not holding my breath because I’m sure they would take a lot of heat. Edited by DaveTN

[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1354464839' post='853787']
I would love to have a cowboy gun for nothing more than a range toy. My problem is that I want my copy of a SAA to be DA. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
Unfortunately the only manufacturers that do that are foreign; so not an option for me. I keep hoping Ruger will do the Vaquero in DA, but I’m not holding my breath because I’m sure they would take a lot of heat.
[/quote]

I don't know what to say. Maybe this doofus will make you one. Might need a fat wallet :)

[url="http://www.gunsmokeguns.com/home.html"]http://www.gunsmokeguns.com/home.html[/url]

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1354467108' post='853795']
I don't know what to say. Maybe this doofus will make you one. Might need a fat wallet :)

[url="http://www.gunsmokeguns.com/home.html"]http://www.gunsmokeguns.com/home.html[/url]
[/quote]

And he can do it with an original 1873 SAA.

[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354467267' post='853797']
And he can do it with an original 1873 SAA.
[/quote]

... for 28 grand :) Of course, he'll rig an exploding target for you the first time you shoot it. I would insist on a plastic midget full of Tannerite.

Edited by mikegideon
[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1354464839' post='853787']
Unfortunately the only manufacturers that do that are foreign; so not an option for me. I keep hoping Ruger will do the Vaquero in DA, but I’m not holding my breath because I’m sure they would take a lot of heat.
[/quote]

Original Colt Thunderers and Lightnings can still be found at not too astromonical prices.
The case harden Ruger New Vaquero looks and feels like original Colt, but has coiled springs. I used two in cowboy shoots in 45 Colt. I would go with the New Vaquero in 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel in 45 Colt. These are fixed sight revolvers. The Ruger Blackhawk has adjustable rear sights.
[quote name='lshel' timestamp='1354475353' post='853842']
The case harden Ruger New Vaquero looks and feels like original Colt, but has coiled springs. I used two in cowboy shoots in 45 Colt. I would go with the New Vaquero in 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel in 45 Colt. These are fixed sight revolvers. The Ruger Blackhawk has adjustable rear sights.
[/quote]

If I was going to shoot matches, I would most likely get a New Vaquero. I'm just gonna be range piddlin'.