Ideas for chasing off dogs?

vaiger

I live on several acres and have chickens, turkeys, horses, etc. Several dogs roam the neighborhood but have typically been well behaved. My neighbor has a new dog and boy has that changed the dynamics. The dogs are starting to run more like a pack. They have killed two chickens and now they have moved on to terrorizing the horses. My most gentle horse is an absolute basket case now and half of its tail is gone.

We talked with my neighbors and they are working on a containment option at their house. I am guessing it will be a month before they get their fence in.

I have tasked my boys with lighting them up with airsoft guns. That will send them home but they come back, normally several times a day.

Any thoughts on something that might scare them off until my neighbor gets his fence installed?

[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1355111521' post='857628'][img]http://images.wikia.com/pka/images/e/e9/Dual-AA-12-Shotguns-FPSRussia.jpg[/img]

:x: Hope I see some dogs today!?!?[/quote]

If your dual wielding aa12's you might be a bada$$

Edited by sL1k
If I had roaming dogs attacking my livestock, I would already be well past airsoft on the force continuum. Obviously they are not learning their lesson if they keep coming back. I would recommend some extremely harsh pepper spray (bear spray) at the very least. Are the dogs (aside from the one owned by your neighbor) wild, or do they have owners? If they have owners, I would speak with them first. Edited by TNcitizen22
If the neighbors can't tie him up and stop the harassment, they would bury that dog. I won't take a dog terriozing my stock. The owners get one warning. They should have consderied the containment issue before getting him.
The neighbor dog has made him self the "pack leader"! Contain him, and the other dogs will probably return to doing what they were doing before he came! Edited by CCI
My ex wife,hang a lost dog, reward offered sign up, and shell catch em and run with em back to the owner for the reward.make sure they have to be returned to a non existent address in juarez mexico,the owners name is Dee Yay
thanks
ps if you need me to supply dogs,pictures or anything to help let me know.
Actually it is legal to use deadly force on a dog in TN to protect livestock. I would first contact owner and sheriff and say I don't want to have to shoot your dog but if I keep losing livestock I must. I am the dog lover from hell when it comes to shooting dogs(see other posts) but livestock and personal protection is the exception to the rule. I would definately speak with owner dog stays loose, then contact sheriff and speak with owner with sheriff present, then next time dog attacks livestock humanely shoot dog.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 1
Guest Mad4rcn
[quote name='Spots' timestamp='1355113681' post='857643']
If the neighbors can't tie him up and stop the harassment, they would bury that dog. I won't take a dog terriozing my stock. The owners get one warning. They should have consderied the containment issue before getting him.
[/quote]

^^^ YEP !!
jtmaze has it right.

I would give one more warning with LE present. Then when the dogs come back call LE and notify them you are shooting some dogs that are harrassing your livestock. They will tell you to do what you need to to protect your livestock. Then hang up the phone, step outside and shoot every single dog on your property. Then go back in and call LE. Tell them you have shot the dogs harassing your livestock and that you need an officer to come out. Then both of you go to the neighbors and have them remove their dead dog from your property.

People who let their dogs roam free and harrass or kill others animals should be held accountable.

I have shot at dogs that harrassed and killed our animals. I will do it again to protect what is mine.

Dolomite
  • Like 3
[quote name='nightrunner' timestamp='1355112418' post='857635']
Take a .410 shotgun shell and replace the shot with rock salt. Fire it through a shotgun not a judge. It burns and they dont forget it and it wont kill them from a reasonable range.
[/quote]

Nightrunner has an excellent solution here if ya dont want to kill the dogs. I'd try to shoot em at about 30 or so yards out. Closer might kill em.

Good luck.
leroy
Suggest to the owners putting in an underground fence. For a few hundred bucks it will save their dogs' lives. I'd be real hesitant to shoot my neighbor's dogs without making it clear that the onus is on them to prevent their dogs from killing your livestock. Underground fences work very well, and after a few weeks they won't even have to wear the collar anymore.
What Dolomite said. You're way more patient than me. If the dogs come back, get video.

[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1355148956' post='857745']
Suggest to the owners putting in an underground fence. For a few hundred bucks it will save their dogs' lives. I'd be real hesitant to shoot my neighbor's dogs without making it clear that the onus is on them to prevent their dogs from killing your livestock. Underground fences work very well, and after a few weeks they won't even have to wear the collar anymore.
[/quote]

Works on some dogs, but not all. I have one and it works great on my dog. Our neighbors tried it with their dog and the dog just ran through it, so they built a real fence.
Speak with your neighbor about the situation. Likely, he'll put his dogs up. If not, eliminate them while they are on your property.

A polite, face to face conversation is a powerful tool that many of us have, for some reason, abandoned. Edited by gregintenn
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1355152162' post='857777']
Works on some dogs, but not all. I have one and it works great on my dog. Our neighbors tried it with their dog and the dog just ran through it, so they built a real fence.[/quote]

If it doesn't work you can pair it with a good e-collar to drive the point home, it just requires more work. Any way to avoid killing a dog over a human mistake.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Aces&8s
Get a donkey

^ This.  I had a little mule that absolutely hated dogs and coyotes, and would kill any that got inside the fence.  You never forget the first time you see a jack or mule run down a dog and stomp it into a puddle of goo right before your eyes.  Neither will your neighbor...

^ This.  I had a little mule that absolutely hated dogs and coyotes, and would kill any that got inside the fence.  You never forget the first time you see a jack or mule run down a dog and stomp it into a puddle of goo right before your eyes.  Neither will your neighbor...

I agree. I would still talk to the owner with LE present so when donkey does his job owner doesn't accuse you of shooting dog. A donkey might or might not kill the dogs but will definately keep then run off.

Thanks for all of the input. It has been much better. Owner has agreed to put them up until he gets his underground fence in. They have only been back 2-3 times and we quickly chased them off. His fence is almost finished so hopefully that will fix it. I had considered the .410 and rock salt but hopefully won't have to go there now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2