Connecticut school shooting

JayC,

I totally agree with you that any law abiding person should be able to carry in a school in Tennessee.  I think as of now, with what we can work with, our best bet is to get some teachers to volunteer to be reserve deputies.

Guest 983mauser

I would gladley give up all my semi-auto weapons. If NO one in this country had to experience such a loss and trajedy ever again. But that would not fix the problem. Crazy is Crazy and can kill kids with lots of other things. This is so sad. I hold parents somewhat responsible.

I would gladley give up all my semi-auto weapons. If NO one in this country had to experience such a loss and trajedy ever again. But that would not fix the problem. Crazy is Crazy and can kill kids with lots of other things. This is so sad. I hold parents somewhat responsible.

I wouldn't, because I know that the nutjobs and criminals wouldn't give theirs up.

• Like 2
Domestic terrorist if i have ever seen them. We are actually very fortunate they haven't wised up to IED's. I won't go into it but take the Oklahoma City bombing and how easy it would be to simulate it. I heard about two years ago that schools would be the next great terrorist target, I'm sure they are sitting on their couch saying "wow".
Domestic terrorist if i have ever seen them. We are actually very fortunate they haven't wised up to IED's. I won't go into it but take the Oklahoma City bombing and how easy it would be to simulate it. I heard about two years ago that schools would be the next great terrorist target, I'm sure they are sitting on their couch saying "wow".

The only reason I figure schools haven't been targeted is because they know the backlash would be so severe. It would be like 9/11 rolled into the CT shooting. Even the libs would be screaming for blood, and they would get it.
The only reason I figure schools haven't been targeted is because they know the backlash would be so severe. It would be like 9/11 rolled into the CT shooting. Even the libs would be screaming for blood, and they would get it.

Suicide bombers don't get a backlash. Hard to even identify them.

But I know what you mean, if an org would be afraid to claim responsibility,  takes away some of the incentive for doing it.

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 11 months later...
Amazing what transpired 1 year ago today, and the wake of the gun/ammo scare the new solve nothing laws that followed. I still feel for the parents though. But what really changed in our culture since then? I believe more polarized if any! It did cause me to buy many guns and related products that I would probably not have bought that quickly.

I said another prayer for all the families of those that lost loved ones a year ago The loss of a child never goes away and yea it does ease slightly but never goes away. We move on with our lives with our lost loved ones still in our hearts. Today will be a trip to the cemetery to decorate my sons grave as I have done every year since 1990. The only thing that has changed is now I decorate my sons grave and my wife's grave also since 1997. Lost but never forgotten.

• Like 3

I said another prayer for all the families of those that lost loved ones a year ago The loss of a child never goes away and yea it does ease slightly but never goes away. We move on with our lives with our lost loved ones still in our hearts. Today will be a trip to the cemetery to decorate my sons grave as I have done every year since 1990. The only thing that has changed is now I decorate my sons grave and my wife's grave also since 1997. Lost but never forgotten.

My sincere condolences. I am truly sorry for your loss.

A year later, and yet another school shooting and in Colorado to boot. Nothing has changed since Sandyhook  to protect our children!

Dave

Well, for some reason they had an armed deputy at the Colorado school, who was able to confront the shooter in less than two minutes. That brought about a quick resolution.

Don't know if they had armed deputies as resource officers in Colorado prior to sandy Hook, but it sure goes to support a good guy with a gun on hand to oppose a bad guy with a gun as THE answer.

• Like 4

Well, for some reason they had an armed deputy at the Colorado school, who was able to confront the shooter in less than two minutes. That brought about a quick resolution.

Don't know if they had armed deputies as resource officers in Colorado prior to sandy Hook, but it sure goes to support a good guy with a gun on hand to oppose a bad guy with a gun as THE answer.

With a two minute response, about the only other thing we could do is
put bars on the doors and windows. Pretty fast response.

Not sure if anyone in this thread has noted this yet, but... The shooter passed the new expanded background check. New gun control law failed just like we said it would. A 7 day waiting period would have also failed becused he would have been able to pick it up on Friday if there was a waiting period. Fail.

The rampage might have resulted in many more casualties had it not been for the quick response of a deputy sheriff who was working as a school resource officer at the school, Robinson said.

He praised the deputy's response as "a critical element to the shooter's decision" to kill himself, and lauded his response to hearing gunshots. "He went to the thunder," he said. "He heard the noise of gunshot and, when many would run away from it, he ran toward it to make other people safe."

This shows that guns need to be in schools.
The only thing that will stop an active shooter is another active shooter. This deputy being there and reacting the way he did saved lives.

The shooter's weapons had been purchased legally on December 6 at a local outlet, Robinson said.

So a background check had nothing to do with this.
Not that it would stop them from getting a gun anyway, but have any of these shooters been people that would have been refused a purchase?

I am sure glad that resource officer was at that school the other day and reacted as he should have and it did possibly and most likely prevent more carnage than was already done. I think resource officers should be in every school and depending on the school size should depend on how many officers are in the school. I am still for making schools and all other gun free zones have that label removed. Take away all the shooters soft targets and you may discourage all this carnage. Remove all gun free zones and post signs in everyone of them stating "Armed personnel on site, You guess how many and who they are."  I think that would end a lot of this, not all but a lot more than a gun free zone sign does. Now with that said,  If our government really and honestly wanted to stop the killing of people in large numbers they could do so without even trying any type of gun control. First make it mandatory that all gun free zones public and private be removed. That would mean all legally armed trained civilians could be in any one of that at any given time. Then if they really wanted to protect our children in our schools, right now there are 1000's of trained retired and veteran young military personnel unemployed that the government could give grants to all school systems that would permit them to employ these well trained people to protect our children. Many of these people have degrees from colleges and they could be hired on as counselors, teachers, custodians and just plain clothed security. A trained soldier knows the sound of gunfire in any surrounding and could respond almost instantly to it. Soldiers won't run from gun fire but to it. I would be willing to bet that the children which our elected officials attend have armed security in every one of them private schools and I am betting it is paid by our tax dollars. Our Children in public schools deserve nothing less than their children do in the private schools............................jmho  

My point is, HOW did the shooter GET A GUN IN THE SCHOOL to begin with? That should not have ever happened! You have an innocent teenager barely clinging to life because of it.

Dave

My point is, HOW did the shooter GET A GUN IN THE SCHOOL to begin with? That should not have ever happened! You have an innocent teenager barely clinging to life because of it.

Dave

How would he not get in school with a gun - what would prevent it? Unless you want to go to extremes it isn't difficult for anyone to walk into a school with a firearm and if you do go to extremes; who is going to pay for it???

That's why we need armed SROs and we also need to make it legal and encourage teachers/admins to carry as well (as some states have done)...we need to repeal the ridiculous and completely useless "School Gun Free Zone" laws. If you want to stop school shootings then the answer is to have as many good people with firearms ready to respond as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

How would he not get in school with a gun - what would prevent it? Unless you want to go to extremes it isn't difficult for anyone to walk into a school with a firearm and if you do go to extremes; who is going to pay for it???

That's why we need armed SROs and we also need to make it legal and encourage teachers/admins to carry as well (as some states have done)...we need to repeal the ridiculous and completely useless "School Gun Free Zone" laws. If you want to stop school shootings then the answer is to have as many good people with firearms ready to respond as quickly as possible.

No one should be able to get into a school with a gun. No matter how fast the SRO's or other staff can respond by returning fire, how many children/staff would have been shot? It needs to stop at the door. Once the shooter is inside the school, it's too late in my opinion. It's a damn shame that passengers at the airport are safer that our kids in school!

Dave

No one should be able to get into a school with a gun. No matter how fast the SRO's or other staff can respond by returning fire, how many children/staff would have been shot? It needs to stop at the door. Once the shooter is inside the school, it's too late in my opinion. It's a damn shame that passengers at the airport are safer that our kids in school!

Dave

Most schools are open air. Anyone can walk on to one. You'd have to retrofit every school in the country like a prison to get that kind of security. That ain't gonna happen.