Tennessean writing about AR-15, similar rifles

Guest brianhaas

I will offer to meet you as well. I live in Knoxville and have been around AR's for quite some time. I have several in several different calibers and you are more than welcome to shoot any of them.

We can have an honest talk about them, as well as firearms in general, and I will answer any question you have provided it isn't being asked with an agenda in mind.

Dolomite

Brian, you just got an offer from the resident king of the AR platform. If Dolomite doesn't know it, there's nothing to know.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="gregintenn" data-cid="862967" data-time="1355877129"><p>
Might I suggest we drop the term "assault weapon" and go with the more accurate term "Modern Sporting Rifle".</p></blockquote>

But that does not suit the media's need of stirring up emotion and clouding reason. No one's going to read the paper if there is nothing to To get all excited about. There are a load of marginal technical differences between your average high-powered to semi high powered deer rifle and An ak or .223 but the main issue is the look and a clip. But the media and politicians love to point these tools out as more dangerous than the average firearm. You go to any hood and you're going to see the majority of damage comes from revolvers and pistols.

The media has done more to skew reality and generate false narrative That has created such a disservice to the reading public.
Brian, I hope you do right by reporting the facts and help people understand why law abiding gun owners love the AR platform. I also agree with others here about dropping the term "assault weapon" and using the term "modern sporting rifle". These guns are no different than other hunting rifles. Also, they are not all that powerful. I have a hunting rifle that shoots a round much larger than a .223. One of the things I have noticed being reported in the main stream media is that these rifles are not used for hunting. That is completely and utterly WRONG. Many folks do hunt with them. I hunt Coyotes with my AR and many other folks hunt other animals with them. They are a very effective hunting rifle. Secondly, I use my semi-automatic AR because I am very proficient with it. I served 10 years in the military where I used the military's 3-round-burst version. I know these firearms very well and feel very comfortable with them. It is my rifle of choice. I, as well as millions of other gun owners, am EXTREMELY frustrated with the media right now. I am sick of the biased reports and the never ending offensive on law abiding gun owners. I am not pointing my finger at you because I am fairly convinced that you are one of the few honest reporters out there. Maybe some of your objective journalism will rub off on some other journalists. I look forward to reading your story. Please post it here for everyone to read once it is finished.
Brian, I hope you do right by reporting the facts and help people understand why law abiding gun owners love the AR platform. I also agree with others here about dropping the term "assault weapon" and using the term "modern sporting rifle". ...

The opposition is coming over to the phrase "Gun Safety Legislation" rather than "Gun Control Laws".

I doubt these euphemisms will change any minds any time soon, although I do indeed find the term "assault weapon" offensive and logically completely non-descriptive of all the things the platform really is.

The only "assault weapon" is one used in an assault, and a 100 year old Mosin Nagant would qualify if used as such.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Brian,

These are my AR's. The picture shows some of the versatility. Three different calibers, and the one on the far right is rigged for single shot. It's an AR because they're very accurate. It's single shot because the long range ammo won't fit in the magazine.

That is great. A 50bmg. Gotta love it.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
+1 for a reporter reaching out to folks who have a vested interest and passion for the article's content! Don't let us down Brian. There is a wealth of knowledge and reason on this self regulated forum... Please do your journalistic due diligence and get some actual reporting out there for people to make up their own minds.

Remember folks there is always an agenda.  After Desert Storm I had the opportunity to take a break at the JFK Special Warfare Center where I worked on some Middle East issues which included my MA thesis that went something like: Using Media as a Tool to Develop American Foreign Policy in the Gulf Cooperation States.  Apparently it wasn't too earth shattering or someone would have listened and maybe preempted Al Jazeera. I digress.  During that time I was introduced to various sorts of "benign" media but spent a good deal of time looking at PSYOP.  

Remember, for news to be news it has to "new" or else it wouldn't be called news.  Secondly, it has to have either a positive or negative edge or valence to grab readers and sell stuff.

Media and more importantly newspapers, used to or may still be in certain circles the Fourth Estate.  Sort of like a 4th branch of the government sometimes working in concert with and often times keeping the other three branches "honest."  I'm referring to the executive, legislative and judicial.      

Newspapers are not owned by tie-dyed t-shirt wearing hippies from Haight-Ashbery.  It may seem like it but the suits who own those well known media outlets know what grabs attention.  It isn't a steady stream of facts which grabs the public's fancy.  Money making media is owned by crafty folk in suits who know how to make a buck.  To make a buck you need advertisers.  Advertisers don't come unless readership is good.  Mundane doesn't grab readers and mundane doesn't sell cars, soap, real estate, etc.  I'm sure Brian is a good guy, I have friends who have been or are heavily involved in the media.  Be careful though.  I caution you about freely cavorting with the media. The one time I was frank, open and honest with media still comes back to haunt me from time to time.   

Don't rush too fast in an attempt to correct all the mis-information that is flying around the world right now.  The monied urban plutocrats, both left and right, don't much care what folks in Tennessee have to say about guns and what we say won't make much difference right now.  Best bet is to be on our best behavior, keep your powder dry and keep a few things out of view.   

• Like 1
Guest brianhaas
Remember folks there is always an agenda.  After Desert Storm I had the opportunity to take a break at the JFK Special Warfare Center where I worked on some Middle East issues which included my MA thesis that went something like: Using Media as a Tool to Develop American Foreign Policy in the Gulf Cooperation States.  Apparently it wasn't too earth shattering or someone would have listened and maybe preempted Al Jazeera. I digress.  During that time I was introduced to various sorts of "benign" media but spent a good deal of time looking at PSYOP.  

Remember, for news to be news it has to "new" or else it wouldn't be called news.  Secondly, it has to have either a positive or negative edge or valence to grab readers and sell stuff.

Media and more importantly newspapers, used to or may still be in certain circles the Fourth Estate.  Sort of like a 4th branch of the government sometimes working in concert with and often times keeping the other three branches "honest."  I'm referring to the executive, legislative and judicial.      

Newspapers are not owned by tie-dyed t-shirt wearing hippies from Haight-Ashbery.  It may seem like it but the suits who own those well known media outlets know what grabs attention.  It isn't a steady stream of facts which grabs the public's fancy.  Money making media is owned by crafty folk in suits who know how to make a buck.  To make a buck you need advertisers.  Advertisers don't come unless readership is good.  Mundane doesn't grab readers and mundane doesn't sell cars, soap, real estate, etc.  I'm sure Brian is a good guy, I have friends who have been or are heavily involved in the media.  Be careful though.  I caution you about freely cavorting with the media. The one time I was frank, open and honest with media still comes back to haunt me from time to time.   

Don't rush too fast in an attempt to correct all the mis-information that is flying around the world right now.  The monied urban plutocrats, both left and right, don't much care what folks in Tennessee have to say about guns and what we say won't make much difference right now.  Best bet is to be on our best behavior, keep your powder dry and keep a few things out of view.   

This whole post is way off on quite a few levels... There isn't always an agenda. Journalists in general don't care about "selling stuff" (I get paid the same if we sell 1 newspaper or 1 million) and most newspapers can barely put out a product each day, much less participate in some shadowy CEO-orchestrated agenda.

I'm not saying the media is perfect and I think a lot of reporters have done a crummy job covering firearms issues. But this post just simply doesn't jibe with my 12 years in journalism (4 different newspapers in 4 different major media companies), nor that of the experiences of any other journalist I've known.

Edited by brianhaas

The bigger newspapers used to have a "Chinese Wall" between the advertising department and the newsroom. It used to be they just about weren't allowed in each other's spaces. And, "Upstairs" in the Publisher's suite used to not descend into the work-spaces without a lot of warning and was short-stopped at the Managing Editor's door. Don't know about now.

No "CIA" orchestrated agenda, but newspapers are a business with no altruistic aim.  However, in the search for advertisers, readership and money, the business demands sensationalism.

Reporters, the good ones, write stories that they hope get published or they get let go.     However, it is a business and not the "Good Ship Lolly Pop," and good folks get to look dumb all the time to sell a story, even if that was never the intent.  I am just advising caution at all the giddiness to tell why guns are good.  

Brian, look up Mannheim and Albritten's study from the 80s.  Positive and negative valence in news stories and numbers mean something in the aggregate.  Writing a story about half a dozen "backwoods" Tennesseans will do nothing good towards the AWB debate, and could just add more fuel to the fire in terms of what folks in politically powerful areas think about 2nd Amendment advocates.   The number of negative valence stories about guns is so huge right now that any story that is positive will be meaningless at best and may end up making some folks look bad.

Want to write a story that is the antithesis of what is coming out on the airways in droves right now - find a bunch of rich leftwing folks from major population centers (think Electoral College) who are gun advocates.  

The only way to win the fight of public opinion is try and put a cap on all, both negative and positive, stories concerning guns and then slowly build up a large portfolio of positive valence stories.  Right now the crush of negative stories is just too large for any milk toast factual or even positive spin story to mean anything.  Anything short of saving the Obama kids or a stadium of football fans from bad guys with assault weapons by one or two well meaning concealed carry advocates is nearly meaningless.  

• Like 1
Brian, I don't think that graycrait is doubting your word or your sincerity, rather that he is cautioning us that there are many levels of journalistic intent and integrity working on this current theme. And eacha nd every one may not share your enthusiasm for truth and fact.

And it's not that I don't believe you, for I certainly don't know you. But I notice from your profile you are 35. Perhaps when you have reached the ages of graycrait and myself, or done the thins and had the experiences of graycrait; you'll understand the skeptical nature of most of us here.

Truth can have many angles. The media as a whole doesn't have the best track record for presenting the best angle, usually just the one best for sensationalism and circulation. Edited by hipower
Brian, my offer still stands.

How can we expect the media to print educated articles if we aren't willing to educate them. Sure editors edit, but if we don't try we have already failed. If we spend our time bickering on this forum and don't send the message to the public we've not affected anything.
I know some in the "outside" world may view Tennesseans or gun owners as a whole as "backwoods rednecks". What I think should be understood about our gun culture is that it is a very diverse group. It is not just made up of farmers and country boys. I grew up in a rural area, but joined the miltary and traveled the world. I have been to damn near every state in this country on top of it, including Liberal strongholds like L.A., Seattle, and Chicago (unfortunately). I then went to college for 5 years and now work as an Applications Engineer. Heck, during most of my college years I classified myself as a Democrat (I hate admitting it). By most standards, I do not think that qualifies me as a "backwoods redneck".

I think gun owners as a whole need to wage a public relations campaign to educate people about gun culture and those who belong to it. The liberal media does their very best to classify gun owners as uneducated right wing nut jobs. We need to do something to counter the stereotyping. Of course, what good will it do? They will just find another way........ Edited by Seabeejason

I agree Lumberjack. Saying nothing won't get us anywhere. But whoever meets with Brian, think carefully of representing pro gun owners in a good light. As a retired military journalist, I have to say at least Brian is heading down the right path of responsible reporting by talking to BOTH sides of the fence. How his boss, the editor, sways it may be another story. Only Brian could guess the swing. I would not be worried speaking to Brian, I'm more worried about a bad 'sound bite' that may come from one of us with good intentions. That's why the military always sent out the public affairs person to talk to the media. I'd really like to see David go one on one with Brian.

Again, Brian is approaching this correctly, unlike ABC's Brian Ross who said just the other day that the .223 "is one of the most popular deer cartridges in the country due to it's lethal power," where the heck did he get that? Obviously he's not doing his homework with a subject matter expert. Probably got that from the gal behind the Walmart sporting goods counter no doubt. :)

• Like 1
Brian - I would ask that you challenge your assumption that the lunatics gravitate towards the ar15. The reality is that most gun deaths in the USA are From a hangun and geneally the lowly 22. Rifles are used in homicide less than knives or hands. In TN last year more people were BEATEN to death than shot with a rifle. While a mass shooting is certainly disturbing. It is quite a rare event as compared to daily shootings that happen very day in our country. I would respectfully ask you position this in your story as scary looking guna are not the problem as much as people would like to think so. FBI stats; http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20
Brian - I would ask that you challenge your assumption that the lunatics gravitate towards the ar15. The reality is that most gun deaths in the USA are
From a hangun and geneally the lowly 22. Rifles are used in homicide less than knives or hands. In TN last year more people were BEATEN to death than shot with a rifle. While a mass shooting is certainly disturbing. It is quite a rare event as compared to daily shootings that happen very day in our country. I would respectfully ask you position this in your story as scary looking guna are not the problem as much as people would like to think so.

FBI stats;

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you're about as likely to be killed in a mass shooting as you are to be struck by lightning. Ban protons and electrons.
I am not a "gun rights advocate" I am just an ordinary average guy who enjoys recreational shooting sports.

That includes everything from toy guns that shoot Nerf darts to the much maligned "modern sporting rifle" and everything inbetween.

No I don't NEED a modern sporting rifle, but I also don't NEED some wanna-be tyrants continually chipping away at what little Constitutional freedoms I have left because they have an irrational fear of certain types of inanimate objects.