Tennessean writing about AR-15, similar rifles

Guest brianhaas

Guest brianhaas

Hey guys, Brian Haas at The Tennessean here again. I know from the title that the gut reaction will be that I'm writing a "ZOMG BAN AR-15S!!!" article, but that's not my interest.

I don't get paid enough to offer my opinion in stories.

What I'm really interested in doing is having a serious discussion about why this particular model has become so popular. I'd love to meet up with someone who has one, to maybe take some photos and video.

And hell, I'd love to shoot one myself. It's been years since I've fired a gun, but I have always enjoyed target shooting.

Best part, you guys would be able to mercilessly rip on how poor of a shot I am.

I hope you guys are familiar enough with my work to know that I'm truly trying to write an honest story about this. I'm from Michigan and grew up shooting a .22 rifle with my dad and, in college, even a blackpowder musket with one of my good college buddies.

I know that the whole Newtown situation will have folks suspicious, but my real interest is in why this model has become so popular and taking a realistic look at its uses. Obviously, target shooting being a big one (aside from any potential self-defense applications). And, in full disclosure, I will probably be talking a bit about why some of these lunatics have taken an unfortunate shying to the AR and other similar models.

I plan to get a bit into the "assault weapons ban" back in the day, but, again, my real goal is to kind of probe why this and other similar rifles have become so popular.

If anyone is interested in meeting up with me at a range in the Nashville area, I'd love to set something up either this week or the first week of January (I'm on vacation starting this Sunday, but I could do Saturday as well). Only day I'll truly be tied up will be this Thursday.

Let me know what you guys think. As always, I can be reached at my office here at 615-726-8968 or bhaas@tennessean.com. And I'll be checking back on this thread.

Brian Haas

The Tennessean

The AR is americas rifle because one, it's basically the same as what our troops use.
Second and possibly more important, it is so versatile. It's like a box of Legos. Little switcharoo and you go from an SBR'd 10.5 inch barrel close quarters battle rifle, to a 24 inch bull barrel varmint rifle. In less than 60 seconds.

Arguably it is the most ergonomic and comfortable rifle you'll ever shoot.

When a quality rifle (AR) is coupled with premium or handloaded to suit, ammunition, it is blisteringly accurate.

You can snatch that wimpy 223(5,56 NATO) upper off there and slap on a 300 blackout or 458 SOCOM and hunt anything that walks in TN.

You can buy an upper that fires .50BMG and shoot 1,000 yards.

You can set it up for .22lr and have a great afternoon with the kids for cheap.

Then at the end of the day you can put it back the way started with, set it next to the bed, loaded with frangible ammo and when things go bump in the night, you can call the cops to come help you clean up the mess the guy who was intent on robbing and raping your family made when you sent him off to the next life.

It took me a while to come around as I was a forged in fire Kalashnikov man. I ain't going back. The AR is loved by Americans, feared by ameriKans. Of course, we don't expect any less from leftist commie hippie trash. Edited by Caster
  • Like 6
Guest brianhaas

Caster,

I did notice in a bunch of the videos I've seen that it looks ridiculously customizable. Reminds me of my old paintball gun in that respect.

Tinkering is fun.

Interesting the debate between the AK and the AR. I've heard that elsewhere as well, but I don't know enough about either to comment intelligently other than to say I'm fascinated by it.

I appreciate your feedback on the popularity of it.

Well first of all look up the defintion of a assault rifle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault%20rifle

You may own one of these above if you have alot of money (M16= $10-15K plus) and go through all the special processes through the ATF.

Most of the AR's and AK's we own are are semi-automatic clones of these weapons. It makes me crazy about the mis informed and the use of the words assault rifle in every other sentance in the media.

Edited by R1100R
  • Like 1

Compare the AR to the World War II vintage jeep.

For starters, the design is battle tested and its defects have been engineered out of it after being depended upon in combat for around 50 years. It is a reliable, stable tool. As citizens, we paid for the engineering, and now it is available to us for use.

Additionally, with CRC tooling, many small but respectable shops can turn AR components out in quantity at quality. There are many third party vendors that make accessories to enhance the utility of the tool. This especially includes all sorts of optical sights that increase accuracy.

Also, essentially everyone in the military and all veterans are familiar with the tool and many are very proficient with it.

Also, because it is a military caliber tool, ammunition is available in sufficient quality and quantity to be widely and cheaply available. This simplifies logistics. The ammunition can be reloaded, and the brass casings are widely available. This can keep the cost down and allow for special purpose ammunition production.

The AR of course does not have the "selective fire (automatic)" function that military M16s have and that otherwise smart people pretend they don't understand. A military M-16 can fire in full automatic mode, or three round bursts, but a civilian-available AR cannot. Smart but slippery demagogues - wicked individuals all -  pretend there is no difference.

We here could go on and on.

A few words regarding the "trust" thing. I think many folks here essentially "trust" you on a personal and professional basis.

Perhaps your editors and your headline writers up the chain will read this as well: We don't trust the editors. They seem to have agendas. I personally don't trust the headline writers - they can take a very well crafted and straightforward story and swing it far-left in just a couple of bold-faced words. This has been mentioned before and bears repeating.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

Id be happy to meet with you and let you shoot mine.  Logistically that might be tough though with the holidays so close.  If you cant find any takers after the first of the year, I'll come shoot with ya, and you can record anything I say.  hell its not worth much anyhow.  

Brian,

Not that I disagree with any of the above opinions or statements, you would be wise to address a couple things

if you wish any credibility concerning firearms. One would be automatic firearms compared to semi automatic

firearms. Do you understand the difference? The other thing I consider most important is that any weapon can

be an "assault weapon". Assault is a word used to embellish and is totally dishonest. Wartime or military weapons

may look alike and have similar capabilities, but to throw out the term "assault" in front of the word weapon is a

customarily used lie by the media. Please don't fall into that trap. Most every kind of automatic weapon used for

military and law enforcement has a civilian counterpart, which is a semiautomatic. There are laws already on the

books that already restrict the use of those automatic weapons, and the fines and imprisonment is heavy. To date,

is I remember correctly, the only time, other than criminal use during the 20's and 30's the only time an automatic

weapon was used in the act of a crime was by an off duty Chicago Police Department officer. To my knowledge,

there is no record of their use since the enactment of the Machinegun Act of 1934.

In other words, the opinions of some inept politicians like Shumer, Feinstein and Bloomberg and groups like Brady,

are all fabrications based on political ambitions. No facts at all.

Another thing to consider is that all these shootings appear to be happening in "Gun Free Zones". Have you thought

about that? Reason I mentioned it is the notion that another law is going to prevent evil from happening is so far

off base.

That help?

Oh yeh. You mentioned the Assault Weapons Ban. All that needs to be said about that is, Colombine

occurred during that period. Actually, crime increased during the AWB.

I'll be glad to talk with you if you are interested in understanding what is actually the situation with guns.

Edited by 6.8 AR

I'll echo what Caster stated above.

In Vietnam and my military career the M-16 impressed me as an effective tool to get a job done. The civilian AR-15 platform is a great customizable improvement suitable for everything from hunting, self defense and long range target shooting.

With the advent of carbon fibers, plastics and space age materials to make the weight manageable, even us old farts can lug it around the woods all day with out fatigue. Another advantage for us elderly is a powerful round going down range with minimal perceived recoil and bruise-less shoulders.

• Like 1

It is also worth noting that as rifles go, it is low powered, and isn't punishing to fire.  Even small framed women and children can shoot it well because the recoil is so minimal.  It is NOT a "high powered killing machine" that so many in the media has dubbed it.  It is deadly, but any weapon can be.  It is constantly debated whether the cartridge used in the Ar15 (.223 or 5.56 NATO) is an effective "manstopper", and there are continuous attempts to improve upon it as it is widely considered a marginal performer at best. 

The 30-06 (thirty aught six) deer rifle that grand-daddy has in his closet generates more than twice the energy of the .223. 

Good luck with your story!

• Like 1
Caster,

I did notice in a bunch of the videos I've seen that it looks ridiculously customizable. Reminds me of my old paintball gun in that respect.

Tinkering is fun.

Interesting the debate between the AK and the AR. I've heard that elsewhere as well, but I don't know enough about either to comment intelligently other than to say I'm fascinated by it.

I appreciate your feedback on the popularity of it.

If you want a real debate let's talk about why the SCAR will clean the clock of any AR or AK based weapon. ;)

http://en.wikipedia..../Josh_Sugarmann

Josh Sugarmann is the executive director and founder of the Violence Policy Center ... and was the communications director for the National Coalition to Ban Handguns.

Some credit Sugarmann for coining the term "assault weapon"... Sugarmann uses the term because he argues that a semi-automatic rifle is capable of rapid fire that makes it almost as lethal as a fully automatic firearm such as assault rifles.

Guest brianhaas
Id be happy to meet with you and let you shoot mine.  Logistically that might be tough though with the holidays so close.  If you cant find any takers after the first of the year, I'll come shoot with ya, and you can record anything I say.  hell its not worth much anyhow.  

Lumber Jack, I may have to take you up on that since no one else has offered, but I still have time to figure this out. I really appreciate it.

To 6.8 AR, I'd like to think I'm fairly well-versed on gun issues. Automatic = machine gun. Semi = one pull, one shot. I get that "assault weapon" was a pretty subjective list of qualities (folding stock, muzzle suppressors, pistol grip, bayonet etc.) and that many guns may have been more "military-like" but legal under the AR ban simply because they didn't have any of those particular qualities.

But one thing that I will say for myself is, if I don't know something, I will ask. I know that I don't know everything about guns.

And I get that folks don't necessarily trust my editors or headline writers. I will say that they've never influenced my work or tried to impose any sort of agenda on me. I try to write my stories so headlines can't be skewed (though I don't know that I've had too many problems with that).

Thanks to all for the great discussion, this is why I come to you guys for my stories.

-Brian

Edited by brianhaas

I will offer to meet you as well. I live in Knoxville and have been around AR's for quite some time. I have several in several different calibers and you are more than welcome to shoot any of them.

We can have an honest talk about them, as well as firearms in general, and I will answer any question you have provided it isn't being asked with an agenda in mind.

Dolomite

I only mentioned those things, Brian, because they are constantly being mis-identified in all parts of the media.

Sometimes intentionally and sometimes out of pure ignorance. It gets old hearing the same wrong stuff on a daily

basis. I would appreciate if you considered that tidbit I said about the word I used, "assault". If you think about it, your

fist can be an extremely efficient "assault weapon", to the point that I carry a firearm for that reason, also.

The one thing I appreciate in a news article is if it contains facts. I don't care for any embellishments, at all. They make

me quit reading the article. Embellishments also instruct the reader as to any direction the writer might want the reader

to go. That is dishonest. Please just try to stick to facts. If you want crime information concerning Assault Weapons

Bans and individual carry of firearms relative to crime rate reduction, start with John Lott on a Bing or Google search.

You will have plenty of honest information at your finger tips. Undisputable information at that.

Guest brianhaas

6.8 AR,

If I'd have to guess, it was mostly out of ignorance. I've seen it firsthand and usually it's a reporter who is new or simply has no clue about guns.

But I can promise I'll do my best on this.

And, thanks to everyone. I have a few offers now for possible meetings that I'm sorting through. The closer to Nashville, the better, but I'll take more offers as well.

The only condition is, I'd like to take photos of whomever I meet with and a video as well.

-Brian

6.8 AR,

If I'd have to guess, it was mostly out of ignorance. I've seen it firsthand and usually it's a reporter who is new or simply has no clue about guns.

But I can promise I'll do my best on this.

And, thanks to everyone. I have a few offers now for possible meetings that I'm sorting through. The closer to Nashville, the better, but I'll take more offers as well.

The only condition is, I'd like to take photos of whomever I meet with and a video as well.

-Brian

I know you will. I see talking heads from Rush, Hannity and others, many others who haven't quite got it right on

their understanding of those types of firearms. Major broadcast media never gets it right.

I'll even go out on a limb and offer to meet with you at Montgomery County Shooting Complex some time and

let you fire anything you want, from an AK47 to AR15 in several calibers to a much more powerful M1A. All semi-

automatic. One requirement though, is that you and I have a chat in person and see if we can agree on some of

the issues, afterwards. I'm really a reasonable guy. My right arm isn't in the best shape right now, but I want to

know you know the facts and it would be worth the time. You can get to know some of the finest people at the

range, also. It would be worth your while.