Most Durable/Longest Lasting 9mm Handguns

GlockSpock

• Moderators

This thread is to ask suggestions for the most durable/longest lasting 9mm handguns. What I mean by this, is what 9mm handguns typically go the longest without parts replacement of any kind? I have a feeling I know the general consensus: Glock. Please let me explain. I love CZ-75's. However, I've been doing a lot of reading about then recently, and there is rumored to be a problem with the slide stops breaking relatively quickly (as in, it is a disposable part). Now, as long as you have access to a replacement of slide stops, I'd consider this relatively a non-issue. However, I am asking what handgun would you buy if you knew you could never buy another part for it at all? What handgun would you buy if you'd be throwing it in your waistband and owning it for the rest of your life, without support of any kind for the pistol?

I'd like this pistol to have readily available magazines, holsters, (night) sights, etc. In other words, I'd like it to be a combat proven  "standard" pistol.

As much as I love my P-01, I guess a lot of this AWB stuff has me doubting it a little bit. One reason would be is that I have not taken it completely apart myself (it is much more complex that many firearms). I have my eyes on a CZ-75b stainless matte at a local shop for about $710 out the door. But the slide stop issue as well as how uncommon the CZ-75 is compared to other pistols in the US have me wondering if the pistol is a good choice for "long term ownership".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is MY personal opinion and your mileage may very but, I'll tell you my honest opinion.

I own several high price range 1911's and revolvers. I love them and nothing is better than the feel of a 1911 .45 in your hand. I have been shooting since the late 1950's. I have a bunch of handguns and long rifles. I also own a Glock.

For longevity, ease of maintenance, total dis-assembly, dependability, and no rusting, you can't beat a GLOCK, closely followed by a S&W M&P which I'm familiar with but do not own.

I would like to stand side by side with my son and his M&P 9 and my Glock in the back yard and fire at targets and see who's gun would fail first, but... That would be to expensive in ammunition I can't afford.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything and I'll be getting smoked on here but... IMHO, a Glock or M&P is a much more dependable weapon than my higher end 1911's at a much lower cost.

I'm not talking so much about dependability shooting 50-75 rounds with a 1911, as shooting 300-500 rounds of ammo and expecting flawless performance. A 1911 gets too dirty and it will fail. Kind of like a AK-47 to a M-16 comparison with dirt, use and abuse...

Let the pistol wars begin!

• Moderators

Well I am not so much talking about "reliability" but rather build quality. My P-01 probably has 600-800 rounds and has never failed me, not once. If I could afford to buy 50,000 rounds of ammo and then go fire round after round and note what failures occur when. I love my CZ, but for one it has an alloy frame and two it is possible that 75's have a slide stop weakness.

I suppose the main concern here is finding a pistol that will go a very high round count without requiring any replacement of parts.

Edited by CZ9MM

For the $, a High Point.  Full replacement warranty, pretty much no questions asked. 

Documented as darn near impossible to destroy.

(and I don't even own one,,,,gotta fix that)

Edited by R_Bert
  • Moderators
For the $, a High Point.  Full replacement warranty, pretty much no questions asked. 

Documented as darn near impossible to destroy.

(and I don't even own one,,,,gotta fix that)

Warranties are useless in a scenario in which "you'd be throwing it in your waistband and owning it for the rest of your life, without support of any kind for the pistol?".

Warranties are useless in a scenario in which "you'd be throwing it in your waistband and owning it for the rest of your life, without support of any kind for the pistol?".

They seem to work fine.  Google "destroy a High Point" and watch the videos.

I would trust them implicitly.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Moderators

I guess I am just sorta in a down mood right now after reading quite a bit after Googling "CZ-75 slide stop break". All mechanical things break, I understand that. But in the current climate of things (gun control, possible financial collapse of the country, etc), I guess I just want something durable without having it serviced ever. 

I have tried a Glock 19 before, and I may have been biased but after it jamming once within just a few rounds I was prejudiced. I may buy one of those, and spend the $500 difference between a Glock and an HK on a holster for the G19, spare magazines, and then a few spare parts for my P-01. 

I love the light carry weight of allow guns, but I don't like the shortened life of them. But the P-01 is supposed to go 15,000-30,000 (depending on how hot of ammo you shoot). I doubt I'll put 5000 in a good number of years.

I guess the CZ slide stop threads as well as all this emotional drama in regards to guns just has me in a low mood right now. Today we had a Christmas luncheon for work. I sat at a table with some higher ups of the company as well as a few "lower" people. When i sat down one of the higher ups was asking someone else why so and so didn't make it. It was because they would rather go to the gun store and buy some ammo/guns before anything serious prevents them from doing so. Then the talk went back and forth (anecdotally) about how you don't need "assault rifles" and cannot deer hunt with them. A lot of incorrect facts were spread back and forth. I mostly kept my mouth shut due to the higher ups being there and me being a relatively new employee (I don't think it is a good opportunity as the new guy to come across as extremely pro gun to your new employer shortly after a massacre). So I kept my mouth shut and just cringed at things. Wish we could have good news of some sort.

Edited by CZ9MM
IDK, I have seen the Berettas and Sigs owned by the military wear out. Of course this is mostly springs and pins. I have not been around H&K's long enough but I'm sure they are about the same as Glocks, Smith's, Sigs or what have you. I just don't know that any one particular male will outlast the others.

Hard to go wrong with a Glock.

I'm torture testing a G17 just for kicks... so far: 1200 rounds, no cleaning... zero failures.

There is no doubt I shoot better with my 1911 but for pure reliability I choose Glock every single time.

Well I am not so much talking about "reliability" but rather build quality. My P-01 probably has 600-800 rounds and has never failed me, not once. If I could afford to buy 50,000 rounds of ammo and then go fire round after round and note what failures occur when. I love my CZ, but for one it has an alloy frame and two it is possible that 75's have a slide stop weakness.

I suppose the main concern here is finding a pistol that will go a very high round count without requiring any replacement of parts.

The P-01 went through LOTS of reliability testing. It's a NATO listed pistol. I used to have one. I'm a Glock fan, but think the P01 should hang in just fine. Never heard about the slide stop problem.

I've got about 8500 round through my P01 without an issue (and probably another 10k+ through a Kadet kit on the P01 frame though that uses the PCR slide stop). As with most everything, people scream when they have an issue but rarely talk when everything is fine.

As far as overbuilt goes, there's also the Ruger P95 to consider.  Even if it does break down, it's big and heavy enough to double as a war club...

If I were worried about parts failures to the extent of the OP, I'd lay in a supply of the small parts likely to break and learn how to replace them, along with replacement springs.

The first Glock I owned was an early production 17.  I deliberately fired almost 5000 rounds thru it of lead bullet reloads, without so much as a swab thru the barrel, or drop of oil/grease anywhere.  It never hiccuped but once at about round #3500 when a minute ring of lead built up at the chamber mouth which stopped the slide from going completely into battery by a gnat's eyelash.  I flicked it out with a knife and went another 1500 rounds or so before giving up.  Reliable???  You betcha. :up:

I can't verify the validity of the test, but a few years ago, when I was a member at On Target, there was a guy who was torture testing his Glock 17.  Apparently, he was well over 15,000 rounds of white box/target junk ammo without cleaning or replacing any parts.  From what I heard (from other customers who knew the guy and people working at the store) he kept it in the tool box in the bed of his truck to somewhat expose it to weather as well as abuse.

Again, I can't say whether that was true as I never knew the actual guy or saw the weapon, but it is what it is.

Personally, I have over 18,000 rounds through my G34 with factory barrel and an aftermarket recoil spring, guide rod, and trigger.  I never shot it in the factory configuration and I've never replaced any of the aftermarket parts.  The only failure I've run into was a squib.  Definitely not the weapon's fault.

Mac

One 9 for the rest of my life?  

Either a high quality 1911 double stack or a 9mm/38/357 ruger revolver.

I would take any of several military surplus but I cant afford a real, not worn out lugar.  If I could have a LNIB one though you bet I would...

ruger p89 is pretty much indestructible, though not really elegant.

Edited by Jonnin