How have you reacted personally? Bought guns? Mags? Ammo?

hipower

I don't have an AR or any need at the moment for high capacity magazines. All I have to buy for is .22lr and 9mm. I buy some 30-30 occasionally, but haven't shot it that much.

I stopped last night on the way home from work at Mahoney's in Abingdon VA. (Mostly to see what prices were) Recently, they had Blazer .22lr 525 pack for $14.99. It is now $19.99. Federal/Independence/Blazer 9mm was 10.99 for 50 and is now 12.99. They had a limit of 2 on each. I don't use it, but 7.62 Tullamo was $6.99 for 20 rnds I think, with a limit of 2. 

I would like to buy up some .22 and 9mm, but money is tight and I'm ok with what I have. I'm still new to all of this and this is the first rush/panic buying I have seen. 

I heard the lady behind the register tell someone that she's "went through several trees today", as she was pulling Credit Card receipts from the register.

Ok, so far, pretty much the responses I expected. Seems that most of us oldtimers; that is in age and time with firearms, are pretty much getting planned items and restocking parts and ammo for their previously owned guns.

I see a few making stated early purchases and what-not. Some giving consideration to that wished-for item that didn't quite fit the current budget. And addditional parts and supplies for reloading.

Seems like the relative newcomers, and those who poo-poo the idea of owning a gun initally are coming around as well. Sure sould like to see the current stats on first-time buyers right now. From what I see and hear, December sales will break all previous records in the industry.

Not really surprising since I think we were on track to do that already, but this will really be big.

Seems like but for the timing, not really a surprise for most of us that such an all out frenzy should occur.

I don't think my previous purchases look quite so ridicilous now.

Not mentioning how much or what I got, but I feel that I've done the right things so far. Just maybe not carried it far enough though. Can't see myself paying some of the prices being asked today for much of anything.

Sure I'd like a couple of Surefire supercap mags, but I balked at the normal pricing on them. I don't even wanna look at them today.

And would like to have had a few more cases of pistol caliber ammo for my handguns; even a couple more 7.62x39 and 5.56. But when and if it all settles down, I'll just go on buying as I see a need for it.

At least I hope to. Edited by hipower

I bought a couple of "used" AK 30 rd mags from Classic Firearms. 12.99 apice. Also renewed NRA membership. I may not agree with them on some issues but I feel that there is strength in numbers and numbers is what gets the politicians attention.

Hadn't really planned anything, but Davidson's finally got some Rossi R92's in .357 Mag in stock. Got the 16" in stainless - the last one.

Should remain legal - cowboy assault rifle and all that.

Got plenty of mags and ammo so no worries there. Still writing letters, e-mails, answering polls, etc.

Edited by ttocswob
Guest Lester Weevils

A couple weeks ago bought a 6" Ruger GP-100 .357 revolver, but it wasn't panic related. Had been looking for a S&W 6" revolver about a year, in mint condition and cheap as dirt, and finally decided I wouldn't ever see such an animal that met the conditions. So at the LGS they had $800 S&W and $650 Ruger GP-100, and finally gave up because everybody seems to like the Rugers just as good, and couldn't see $150 difference between the two pistols. But AFAIK, regardless whether those are "too high" or "too low" pistol prices, they've been selling at about that price quite awhile and at the time I bought there didn't seem to be any "panic markup" on the guns.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I went ahead and bought some AR mags before the prices went up but that's only because I didn't have any at all to begin with. I haven't even started my AR build yet other than having the lower. Not gonna give in to the panic buying on ammo. I have enough to wait and see what happens in the next few months.

Edited by gnmwilliams

I've got guns and a file cabinet full of ammo, what I really need is a safe.

I'm not going to over-react.

When the gas crunch happened several years back and gas prices first peaked over $3.00 a friend bought 15 five gallon jerry cans and filled them up with $3 dollar fuel. Two weeks later the price came down to around $2.25.

I'm also not a big fan of AR's or care to have one so maybe I can't relate. :shrug:

The governments solution is based on emotions and over time it won't solve the problem anyway, seems like a lot of people are acting the same way. They always have and will look for some excuse to tax us or limit our freedoms, we voted/asked for it.

Do whatever, I'm laying low. The world's going to end tomorrow anyway.  :D

Four more PMAGs locally and four more online on back-order for reserve.

A few hundred more rounds of 9mm for reserve.

A thousand more small rifle primers for reserve.

I've got . . . enough . . . including a reserve I pretend I don't have.

Saving for a rainy day. . . . a little at a time over a long time means no panic in preparedness.

Is there a way to tell the difference mike?  appreciate the heads up :)

Rusty the L5A is what you are looking for. The L5 was the first gens. I had a bunch of them and really liked them. Metal feed lips and floor plates with poly bodies that were equal in strength to the Pmags. Plus they look really cool IMO with the translucent bodies. I wish I had them back but the early ones wouldn't fit in the MSAR I had at the time, so I sold them.

Edited by Smith
Rusty the L5A is what you are looking for. The L5 was the first gens. I had a bunch of them and really liked them. Metal feed lips and floor plates with poly bodies that were equal in strength to the Pmags. Plus they look really cool IMO with the translucent bodies. I wish I had them back but the early ones wouldn't fit in the MSAR I had at the time, so I sold them.

To be picky... L5AWM. Sitting here looking at both. I think the cheap ones may be OK, but I KNOW the AWM's are. I use them for .458 SOCOM.

I just tried to do a routine gun buy (not a panic buy) and was there for an hour waiting for the background check to clear. After the guy called in to ask about it they said it'd be more than another hour on the TICS. I had to tell him I'd come back tomorrow to pick it up. I knew a lot of people were buying but this was rediculous.
I just tried to do a routine gun buy (not a panic buy) and was there for an hour waiting for the background check to clear. After the guy called in to ask about it they said it'd be more than another hour on the TICS. I had to tell him I'd come back tomorrow to pick it up. I knew a lot of people were buying but this was rediculous.

Obammy can sell some guns, now.

There was a line of people at RB in Mt Juliet this afternoon, waiting to hold an AR. Not a single one of them looked like they should own a pellet gun, much less something that uses gun powder.

One of the guy's asked "Which one is the AR that you would buy if it was going to be the last one left on the planet?" He obviously didn't even know how to work the rifle and was just staring at its shape. 

.... I had no knee jerk reactions due to the school shootings. As long as they dont bann handguns or shotguns im cool.

Exactly the attitude that has helped lead to our lost firearm rights so far.

Hope your shotgun and handgun don't hold more than one round each .. that'll come around on the guitar eventually, once they're banned all the things you don't care about.

And if your handgun holds more than ten rounds, this time around may affect you.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2