Sell Me On Glock!

GlockSpock

^I was under the impression S$W didn't advice for it to be done that way?

That is probably true, but i'm almost certain it is because some people can't stand the thought of you having to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun.  It doesn't harm anything, unless it is loaded of course.

I started with Glocks and liked them. They just did what they were instructed. Did it well. Play with some and sell

yourself, both brands and see which you like, if you can find one. I hear there's a rush on everything. :D

i would go with the glock. ease of maint.- after market parts - glock perfection. also you can go to glock in smryna ga walk in and they will clean,inspect,repair and upgrade if needed all at no charge while you wait. i'm sure m&p are fine guns but may come down to what you can find at this time.

Guest cardcutter

CZ , I am in cleveland. Shoot me a pm and I will get togather with you and you can try my G19. Then you will undestand why Glocks have the following they do.

Guest brighac

I must provide a little feedback about blocks.   I have a 27 .40 S&W.  I must say I am completely happy with the whole thing from start to finish.  I purchased the gun from another TGO member- sale went exactly how we set it up... except I forgot I was in Eastern time and he was in central time..  something to laugh about now... lol  But calling glock in GA they can answer and questions for you.  and problems consider them fixed;...    I have no sour words about glocks.

I'd suggest that you pay close attention to how the Glock fits in your hand. The grip angle is more downward on the Glock than on some other handguns. For me, this eliminates Gen 3 and older Glocks from consideration because my straight trigger finger would hit the side of the trigger rather than the frame when initially gripping the gun. My fingers aren't long enough to consistently hit the trigger guard instead of the side of the trigger. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet with this issue, but I also cannot bend the remaining three fingers of my hand into the gripping position without slightly flexing the trigger finger as well. I think it's called sympathetic reflex. Anyway, my rationale is that it only takes one slip up to shoot yourself in the leg. My neighbor was showing me his G19 and Serpa retention holster. When I tried to unholster it (unloaded), my finger slid off the retention button and onto the side of the trigger as described above. He argued that I had done it wrong. I tried again... same problem. The problem wasn't noticeable when I picked the G19 up off the table.

The Gen 4 Glocks without the optional palm swell piece somewhat addresses this issue for me, but there are other handguns that fit my hand better. The key point here is just make sure it fits your hand. 

Glock has issued a recall for its Gen4 recoil springs, FWIW. Some people had problems with the original ones.

• Like 1

Go with a Glock 19.  I just bought my third Glock this past Saturday at Shooter's Depot, which is local for you.  When I purchased mine, they had four in house.

I am not a Glock fanboy, but they make great handguns.  The reason I chose a G19 over similar products is the availability of aftermarket parts and the ease of customizing.  Normally, I complain about the ergonomics of Glocks, but for some reason or another the G19 fits my hand just right.

• Like 1
I now have a 23 and a 30 and have absolutely fell in love with everything about them. I sold my XDS and now have 2 glocks with more capacity and the balance is awesome. I AM A GLOCK GUY NOW!!!! Believe that!!! Edited by Newman
Glock Lovers,

I am interested in purchasing a much simpler firearm (in terms of parts) than a CZ-75. I love them, but there are so many parts. I am interested in purchasing a Glock 19 (if I can find one locally). To me, I am curious about the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 comparisons. Weren't the Gen 4's known for reliability issues? Has that been fixed now? Please Glockers, help me to appreciate these guns. I plan on taking a look at a shop or two at 5:00.

I am also a CZ fan like you and yet a die-hard Glock fan . Glocks , to me , are the most reliable pistols in the world. Very few parts and I have learned how to take it all apart , frame and slide and magazine and can reassemble it in under 5 minutes. They have no "gadgets and levers and buttons" that get in the way nor an over abundance of springs that you dont need.

I love my CZ P-01 and CZ75 but when it comes to the best of the best , its my Glock 34 and 17 .

I recommend Gen 3 , 2, and 1 . I just dont like the Gen 4 . Try and find you an older Gen 2 G17 that is an old police trade-in. They are cheap and to me are the best of all the generations of Glocks. Gen 2 G17 is perfection to me.

Also Glock doesn't use roll pins which is great . I hate roll pins . Glock uses solid pins and you can detail strip it with any type of punch or even an ink pen or just about any type of old nail and anything skinny and solid.

And rust resistance : Glocks will almost never rust ! I wore the same Glock 22 Gen 2 on my hip as a police officer for 14 years with no rust at all. It was scratched up and metal marked up and all but it never rustred at all even though it got rained on all the time , scraped on assphalt , and all kinds of severe conditions. We switched to Gen 3 which is great but I prefer Gen 2 .

Edited by tercel89

My first handgun was a Ruger SR9C.  I wanted to love it, because I didn't want to be just another guy with a Glock.

I shot a Gen4 19.  Sold the Ruger.

Love my Glock.  My groups were much better with the 19, and it just felt better when firing.

I love the M&P 9c, and considered adding one to my collection (of 1).  But I don't see the need to have more than one 9mm handgun when the Glock does everything I need a handgun to do.

yes... GLOCK Smyrna, GA, USA... smith and wesson on the other hand sold itself out to a brazilian company if im not mistakin ... ie:taurus lock...smith lock... better quality? smith has gone down hill... from a revolver stand point... OH and lets not forget the huge law suit smith had for making the sigma lol exact copy of the glock orginal prefection :)

S&W M&P are nice But so are the Glocks. Anyone here that tells you one is better than the other has an agenda. One may be better for than , but that does not mean it will be better for you. They are too close to call. If you can try them both out. BTW the Gen 4s have interchangeable backstraps like the smith. Also they come 3 mags
[quote name="carter" post="867587" timestamp="1356338205"]yes... GLOCK Smyrna, GA, USA... smith and wesson on the other hand sold itself out to a brazilian company if im not mistakin ... ie:taurus lock...smith lock... better quality? smith has gone down hill... from a revolver stand point... OH and lets not forget the huge law suit smith had for making the sigma lol exact copy of the glock orginal prefection :)[/quote] Well almost an exact copy ... without the perfection. My dad bought one and had it less than 2 months. Junk from one end to the other. My personal vote is go with the Glock for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned.
Guest DAVID RICHARDS

The new Glocks are still having problems. I bought one early on over a year ago. Went through multiple trips back to Glock, 3 replacement guns, finally gave up. Two didn't work out of the box, one did for 800 rounds, another for 2000. But they all tanked. They've redesigned the RSA's 4-5 times finally settled on the 043, 30274 ejector, but still MIM extractors that wear out.

I bought a new one after hearing the problems were "fixed" about a month ago. The first range session I ha brass flying at my head, to the left, falling out of the ejection port, same old garbage. Glock sent me an RMA and it's been their for a month. An no I don't limp wrist and I shot hot ammp through it. The reason I tried again is I have a ton of parts for the G19. Like the GEN4 frame. And have tons of magazines. I bought the APEX extractor for the gun which seems to solve a lot of the problem. So when I get it back (actually was told by the Glock rep to just request a new gun since it was bad out of the box) the APEX set up should fix it.

This is from experience. You may get one that works. You may get one that doesn't work right out of the box. It may work right for a few hundred or thousand rounds. With the 043 RSA, 30274 ejector, and I hear their is a new non-dipped extractor your chances of getting a good one are much better than a year ago. But look at the posts on GlockTalk and M4 Carbine forums and you'll see lots of problem guns out there still. And I'm still seeing lots of them at my range. I'm not a Glock hatter I have about a half dozen oler ones right now that are 100%. In fact I'm carrying my G30. It is one of the first ones.

If you're willing to put up with a chance for problems and maybe having to get some aftermarket parts then go for it. Otherwise look for an older Glock or go with an M&P, XD, or PPQ. Your money, your choice. And please the folks that have guns that work don't bring up the "my gun works o your's must also" mentality. He asked if their were still problems. The truth is yes their still are. Sorr for a somewhat negative first post. But I wanted to give an answer based on past and current experience. 

David, thanks for the information. I've really never liked the "feel" of a Glock (never really fit well in my hands), but I always wondered about the reliability. With Glock being so popular, I assumed that reliability wasn't to be questioned. Your feedback is informative.

Guest MidTNGlock

My Gen4 G19 definitely has the weak ejection people are talking about. Seems like it's gotten worse instead of better. I haven't really worried about it too much because it rarely ever comes back at my face and the gun has never malfunctioned, not even once. Probably over 5,000 rounds by now with no problems. :up:

If it starts stovepiping or something I might have it looked at but since it does what I bought it to do, I'm inclined to just leave it like it is.

Edited by MidTNGlock

20 year old Gen II Glock 23 

other than some whimpy handloads and a crap aftermarket mag (always get factory origionals)  has never once bothered to slow down

only add in was a scherer plastic plug  and just this year I did some mild stippling as the frame got a little smooth after all these years.

sometimes "improvement" causes bugs in the system  I dont need a rail or finger groove bumps or whatever those are called that they always seem to put in just the wrong place..

Find what works for you , run the snot out of it then bet your life in the self defense lottery all the while like me hoping your ticket never gets called, and if it does hoping everything goes your way bringing you and yours out the other side safely

John

Edited by LngRngShtr

I've never been a Glock guy. I don't hate them, just never liked them enough to buy one. Recently a friend of mine brought a few of his to the range for me to waste some ammo with. This was the most time I've got to spend shooting Glocks. Wasn't crazy about the subs (26, 27), I still like my XDsc better. His 17 & 22 were both great guns. It took a few mags but I started to really like the 19. He has a Gen 3 & Gen 4, I liked the 3 better. I'm wanting to get another 9mm for CCing and I think I'm going to add the 19 to the list.

Shouldn't have to talk anyone into a Glock CZ. All it takes is to be objective and find if it fits your grip. That was the test for me. I listened to the "Glocks are crap" comments for years, actually believing that some of these guys knew something I didn't. I finally took one reluctantly in a trade. A G19 actually. It wasn't love at fist sight/touch, but I found I could shoot it as well as my then favorite, an XD9c, and it felt pretty good in my hand. I may be just lucky to have small to mid size hands, but the 19/23 frames are perfectly sized for me. And I do like the finger grooves. But then I like the backstrap safety on the Springfields as well. That led me to spending some time with the Glock platform, which led me to buying more Glocks. And no, I didn't sell off all my XD guns. In fact I still have three of them; the XD9c, the FS XD in .357 Sig, and a 5" Tactical 45. I actually like the 45 better than my G21. I'm not Glock or XD only. I like different guns/brands/calibers. Each have their own feel and purpose. Just find what you want it for; carry, home defense, range, or whatever. Then pick your favorite. If it works for you, that's all that's important.

I have had a lot of handguns, always looking for the perfect one.  There are a number of guns that I shoot better than a Glock 9mm, but none I trust more.  M&P is close but it has some fiddly internals and more parts in comparison to the Glock.  As far as shooting better it is a qualitative thing with me at the range only, I think being able to put rounds on target at relatively close range in numbers makes all the major players the same.   A Glock can take a beating, parts rarely break and when they do they are cheap and available everywhere practically.  Mags are durable too.