Diane Fienstein: Stopping the spread of deadly assault weapons

As posted on California Senator Diane Fienstein's website:

Stopping the spread of deadly assault weapons

Stay informed

In January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devises.

To receive updates on this legislation, click here.

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

• Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    • 120 specifically-named firearms
    • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
  • Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
  • Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
  • Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
  • Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
  • Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds. 
  • Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
  • Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
  • Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
  • Background check of owner and any transferee;
  • Type and serial number of the firearm;
  • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
  • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
  • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
  • Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
  • Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

A pdf of the bill summary is available here.

Effectivenness of 1994-2004 Assault Weapons Ban

Following are studies that have been conducted on the 1994-2004 Assault Weapons Ban:

Assault weapons in the news

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Edited by QuietDan
  • Administrator

I used to wonder at what point the American people would topple these little tyrants at the voting booth and then it occurred to me that with 50% of the public sucking at the government tit, that's just not going to happen.  Now I'm starting to wonder at what point the minority of Americans who still believe in the value of the Constitution are going to reach their limit and start imparting "change" by more dramatic means.

• Like 7
I used to wonder at what point the American people would topple these little tyrants at the voting booth and then it occurred to me that with 50% of the public sucking at the government tit, that's just not going to happen.  Now I'm starting to wonder at what point the minority of Americans who still believe in the value of the Constitution are going to reach their limit and start imparting "change" by more dramatic means.

This.

I was just telling my wife last night that we are at the tipping point. More and more people in this country are eating from the govt hand and accepting a lower standard of living just to be taken care of. I wonder how long before the number of unemployed actually passes the number of employed in this country. And Romney was blasted for calling it as it is after the election. 

• Moderators
Voting for this piece of legislation is tantamount to treason, a violation of their oath of office and should be handled accordingly. The voting record will be evidence enough of their their treasonous actions and the people would be within their rights to skip directly to the punishment phase that is appropriate for their offenses against the Constitution, the nation, and the people of the United States.
  • Like 2
[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1356627961' post='869757']I used to wonder at what point the American people would topple these little tyrants at the voting booth and then it occurred to me that with 50% of the public sucking at the government tit, that's just not going to happen. Now I'm starting to wonder at what point the minority of Americans who still believe in the value of the Constitution are going to reach their limit and start imparting "change" by more dramatic means.[/quote] Agree. I've never felt so much frustration with the intelligence of the voting populace as I have lately. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Remember the good ol' days, when people came to this forum and told us that nobody was going to try and take our guns? We were just a bunch of tinfoil hat wearing nutcases. Boy, those were the days. So long ago, and yet it seems like it was just earlier this year.....

• Like 4
I have been saying that they are going to try to add AW to the NFA registry. I seen the writing on the wall and this WILL likely pass. All you have to do is realize there were enough to elect O for a second term to realize this is going to pass.

And this is going to divide the gun community rather than bring us together. Bolt gun guys are going to be glad it isn't them, yet, and distance themselves from people like me.

I will say I will not add any firearm I own to the NFA registry. Doing so will make them aware of what firearms I own.

Might be time to have that boating accident.

Dolomite
  • Like 2
Remember the good ol' days, when people came to this forum and told us that nobody was going to try and take our guns? We were just a bunch of tinfoil hat wearing nutcases. Boy, those were the days. So long ago, and yet it seems like it was just earlier this year.....

I don’t think anyone has ever said someone wouldn’t try to take your guns, several of us have said it won’t happen. No one is going to take your guns. I said it before and I’ll stick my neck out and say it again.

The politicians need to make noise like they are doing something. Will they get a hi-cap magazine ban? I think so. Will they be telling you that you have to turn your guns in or knocking on your door to take your guns … No.

Will there be an assault weapons ban? Only if the individual state allows it.

I may be nuts (or foolishly optimistic), but I don't think they'll actually get much of anything past the House.  Gun owners are single issue voters, by and large, and there's another congressional election just around the corner...  I guess we'll see.

I may be nuts (or foolishly optimistic), but I don't think they'll actually get much of anything past the House.  Gun owners are single issue voters, by and large, and there's another congressional election just around the corner...  I guess we'll see.

This is what I think. BUT...After the mid-term if they gain the house they will try again. And be successful. I guess it's a good thing I have sold every gun i own, including those pictured on this site....To some guy at the gun show of course...

• Like 1

That should have happened a while back, David. It's called the wussification of America. So many just sit back and

let things happen.

That should have happened a while back, David. It's called the wussification of America. So many just sit back and

let things happen.

+1

Americans do not have the fortitude to risk their lives for their rights, either themselves or for their fellow man. As long as they get theirs and can continue to be lazy while getting it they will not risk anything much less their lives. People argue more about a lost cell phone signal than the loss of their rights under the Constitution.

Dolomite

• Like 1

There are a lot like that, Gordon, but things will undoubtedly change when more important things like lights in the house,

food on the table, gas in the car, start to hit them with a sucker punch. Those who get the fever, at that point just might

not know who to direct there anger towards, though. Hopefully there are a few that are rational.

+1

Americans do not have the fortitude to risk their lives for their rights, either themselves or for their fellow man. As long as they get theirs and can continue to be lazy while getting it they will not risk anything much less their lives. People argue more about a lost cell phone signal than the loss of their rights under the Constitution.

Dolomite

The lazy crap won't sustain itself without the workers. Like Hickok45 said, they are going to turn millions of patriots into expatriots. Let's see how that works for all the tit hangers.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

In Atlas Shrugged, the politicians kept on screaming to each other,"We have to keep things as they are" after

all the damage they inflicted, when their "Equalization of Opportunity" and "Directive 10-289" regulations were

forced on the citizens. Same fruit is going on now, but not yet ripened.

They always think their way is better, even at the end, when nothing else is left to pick off the rotting corpse. The

ex-patriots will be the ones to be the nucleus of the new and improved country, once those others die out. It just

won't be fun for a while.

Feinsteins' bill won't pass.  I would regard ANY compromise version as theft.

Frankly, the 'big push' for gun control everyone is talking about is coming from far left democratic politicians and mainstream media (pretty much the same thing).  The public has been voting on this for a couple of weeks now, with dollars, in the market.  The outcome of that 'poll of public opinion' should be crystal clear, to even the blindest of politicians.

Going to be really, really hard to make the 'common use doesn't apply' argument. 

ATF can't manage the NFA registry now - this is common knowledge - they haven't a prayer of managing one that just expanded a thousandfold or more. 

Feinstein and co. are thieves.  They are trying to steal not just goods (that can be replaced) but rights, which can't.  Let me make this clear - the gov't didn't grant the right in the first place, merely recognized it exists.

Molon Labe

• Like 3
Guest Fingersoup
I have been saying that they are going to try to add AW to the NFA registry. I seen the writing on the wall and this WILL likely pass. All you have to do is realize there were enough to elect O for a second term to realize this is going to pass.

And this is going to divide the gun community rather than bring us together. Bolt gun guys are going to be glad it isn't them, yet, and distance themselves from people like me.

I will say I will not add any firearm I own to the NFA registry. Doing so will make them aware of what firearms I own.

Might be time to have that boating accident.

Dolomite

What the bolt gun Fudds (that would be so happy to throw the rest of us under the bus) don't realize is their rifle will be next to go. Demonized as a high power sniper rifle by the media and the politicians to further their agenda..

Just as Dolo suggested, I have written to the congressmen/senators and have suggested that everyone in my family do the same thing, no matter where they are from. People stayed on the couch in Nov. because they refused to bend even a bit on their "principles", if the sorry people do it again, it's going to hurt really bad this time around.

SEND SOME FUCKING LETTERS TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVES FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Edited by Sam1