First lever today...

Steelharp

The 30-30 lever action has put a lot of meat on the table.  It was my rifle of choice for deer hunting and at 100-200 yards, with open sights, it would bring'em down. I miss my Winchester 30-30 but I'm diggin' my new Henry Big Boy .357. I would post a picture of it, but I don't post pictures of my personal firearms on the world wide web.

Edited by Will Carry

I've been looking for a Winchester Model 94 30-30 for varmint shooting. When I ask about availability, I get mostly grins and then a "good luck" comment.  I've been watching Gunbroker but the 94's for sale are either mostly in bad shape or high dollar, mint condition commemoratives. I'm hoping that I'll luck out and find one at my LGS eventually.

Edited by mcrichar
I love my lever guns, they ain't (tactical cool)but are cool. Got an old Marlin like that, smooth as butter, but the smoothest lever I own is a Henry .22.

Second that notion. Just got one from Eastside Gun Shop on Friday afternoon. Been thinking about a Henry in .22WMR, but one I picked this up and tried the smooth action....well, it came home with me. Edited by hipower

Well, I'm really glad no one had a camera. Talk about a YouTube moment. There's a scope on it. I'm not a scope guy. I'm looking through the see-through bases at the irons. Didn't realize until I pulled the trigger that the f'n scope was too far back in the rings. Yes, I bled. Still have a headache. I probably would have liked the gun, but that sure put a bad taste in my mouth... and a bruise on my forehead.

Well, I'm really glad no one had a camera. Talk about a YouTube moment. There's a scope on it. I'm not a scope guy. I'm looking through the see-through bases at the irons. Didn't realize until I pulled the trigger that the f'n scope was too far back in the rings. Yes, I bled. Still have a headache. I probably would have liked the gun, but that sure put a bad taste in my mouth... and a bruise on my forehead.

Dont feel bad, it has happned to me as well, YA GOT SCOPED!

I did it with a .50BMG! (but it just barely got me on bridge of nose).

Btw, some folks say a .30-30 lever doesn't kick much. I put a slip-on nancy pad on mine and I don't care who knows it, obviously.  :)

- OS

• Like 1

Been there too. But I did it real stupid. Got one of the Gamo Air rifles a few years ago and was in the back yard trying it out.

This sucker has the stiffest trigger I ever dealt with on an air gun, so I pulled that little sucker up close and tight to steady it. Pulled the trigger. Bamm!

Got the prettiest little curve over my nose and eyebrow.

Went back to work the next Monday, walked into the office, and immediately got ridiculed by a big-time hunter there.

He walked over, looked at me, grinned, and asked what caliber I was shooting. Shammed by it all I told him .177. He walked away laughing.

Gotta love a lever gun.  My Winchester 94 is well worn and well loved.  It's been used so much that I am currently waiting on a new hammer as the full cock notch has finally stripped out.  The meat she has put on the table could only be measured in tons.  LOL.  I cannot wait to get her up and running again.

Besides, the repair is a good excuse to take her to the range, as 30-30 is not cheap to shoot.

[quote name="gregintenn" post="871380" timestamp="1356799684"]They have a lot more soul than those plastic EBRs.[/quote] I love my plastic fantastic. Yet....I can't seem to keep my hands off this old '94. Not to mention the serious amount of covetous sin youve cause me over those incredibly gorgeous 99's [quote name="gregintenn" post="871802" timestamp="1356834513"]The much maligned thutty-thutty isn't hardly as weak and useless as people give it credit for. It's among my favorite rifle rounds.[/quote] Because of some peoples apathy or disdain for this cartridge I have made a conscious effort to stop saying 30-30. I refer to it by its less known original name, .30 Winchester CenterFire. Now, I am a devout fan of the 300 BLK, but it is my personal opinion that the 30WCF is the finest most versatile cartridge ever made. Given my propensity for pouring my own bullets, the really long neck is beautiful.
I've owned a pair of "30 WCF" lever actions through the years. Sadly, one might say "He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" with it. Not sure why, just couldn't shoot with em.
[quote name="FIST" post="871919" timestamp="1356842843"]I've owned a pair of "30 WCF" lever actions through the years. Sadly, one might say "He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" with it. Not sure why, just couldn't shoot with em.[/quote] I owned some of "those kinda guns". Usually not much wrong with them, if anything. I ought a Ruger MkIII several years ago. All my friends could shoot it, I couldn't hit squat with it.