Decockers

knox

Never heard of this happening, ever. Perhaps a person might blame the decocker for an ND, but if the failure can't be replicated it's BS. You are safe. If decockers didn't work they wouldn't be on tens of millions of handguns.

You are more than welcome to point my CZ 52 at your foot and depress the decocker if you have that much faith in decockers. It hasn't been screwed with, and has been fired very little.

the beretta nano has a "decocker".  Its a strange "striker fired" but DAO mess of a design. 

The decocker does not even do anything BECAUSE its a DAO.   A year later I am still not sure what they were thinking.

In their marketing video they called it a striker deactivation button so that the gun can be disassembled without having to pull the trigger.  The button is recessed into the side of the gun.  Its not practical to use as a casual decocker.

[quote name="gregintenn" post="897277" timestamp="1359297378"]You are more than welcome to point my CZ 52 at your foot and depress the decocker if you have that much faith in decockers. It hasn't been screwed with, and has been fired very little.[/quote] As a general rule I don't point guns at myself or other people.
[quote name="gregintenn" post="897294" timestamp="1359299166"]Me either. I was being sarcastic. The decocking lever on a CZ 52 performs the same function as the trigger.[/quote] Well maybe exceptions can be made for Soviet era clunkers, but no modern gun company could manufacture and sell a firearm which fired when engaging a safety feature. They would be sued out of existence. At a minimum, they would recall all firearms which had such a design flaw.

The CZ52 is an excellent design but has some eccentricities.  Dry firing is a bad idea as the firing pins aren't designed for it.  They will snap.  Using the decocker as a safety is also a bad idea.  It's not a safety.  It lowers the hammer but does not block the firing pin.  I've seen a CZ52 fire when the decocker was used. 

Do not completely trust ANY mechanical device.  They can all fail. 

• Like 1
[quote name="1gewehr" post="897315" timestamp="1359301064"]The CZ52 is an excellent design but has some eccentricities.   [/quote] Any gun that fires when you do anything other than pull the trigger is the antithesis of excellent design. I know of no modern firearm that does this. Any company that manufactured it would be liable for damages if the firearm injured or killed someone because of a design flaw.

The CZ-52 is known to have decocker problems, but a kit is available to make them 100% reliable. On a CZ-52, the decocker & the brittle firing pin are the only weak points, but upgrades for the firing pin & decocker are readily available.

I've replaced the firing pin on mine. Could you post a link for the decocker fix?

I take my pistols outside and point them at the ground when using the decocker AND when chambering a round.  A decocker is as handy as a pocket on a shirt and is probably much less likely to fail than my thumb on the hammer is, but I don't trust the decocker or my thumb.

• Like 1
Guest mechanically

I recently picked up a Ruger p89 with decocking ability, and liked it enough that I also grabbed a first-gen p85 when one came my way. 

Apparently, the p85 was one of the first decockers from Ruger, and they had issues in some circumstances. If the firing pin ever broke, then using the decocker could still transmit enough force to light up a round in the chamber. They fixed it on the mkII, and the p89 was basically a renamed mkII so people wouldn't associate the gun with its early issues. 

Either way, I've checked out how the decocker works on mine, and while I have lots of confidence in it, I can't imagine a situation in which I would actually want to decock on this particular gun. If this was a CC gun for me, maybe. But it's strictly a range gun, and maybe competition gun if I can get into IDPA around here... Cool feature, though, and aren't features important to guys like me?  :rofl:

Decockers have been around a lot longer than striker fired pistols.  ;)

It is disconcerting when that hammer drops but the safety prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin. Get your hands on one if you can, hold the hammer and work the decocker.  You'll see then.

The only gun I have ever owned with a decocker was a Ruger P95 - when you decock, it just drops the hammer, like you'd pulled the trigger... THAT scared the %$(@ outta me (at least with the Sigs it is nice and gentle)! I tested it with a live round in it first thing.