Best handgun for my inexperienced wife.

Guest Csjones30

Guest Csjones30

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into buying a handgun for my wife to keep at the house. She works from home and both of us feel safer knowing that there is a weapon near by should she need it. She has shot my .38 special but finds it cumbersome and hard to fire. I would really like to find her something that is easy to manage and comfortable to fire. Any thoughts or opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-C 

If the stout DA trigger and heavy recoil of the 38 (guessing revolver here??) are the problem, solve both with a heavy framed 9mm like a beretta, ruger, or a 1911 in 9mm like the RIA high capacity offering.   A glock or lightweight plastic gun *may* do but these are prone to limp wristing and some women esp novice shooters cannot handle them well due to this.  The big heavy guns are easier to rack, shoot, and control BUT they are bigger and heavier which some people struggle with.  Everything is a tradeoff.

That said its generally wise to let her shoot a bunch of stuff, until she says "THAT ONE".  Then get her "THAT ONE" that SHE likes.  My wife has several pistols but her at home & at hand gun is her eaa witness (cz 75 is the same thing). 

There is nothing wrong with a good revolver, maybe a large frame 6 inch barrel type that tames recoil and has a friendly grip will do, a full sized 357 loaded with 38s for example.  If the trigger is any good it may even be fun for her.  I have a s&w model 19 like this that even I can fire rapidly and easily (I have some rather weak hands, age+computer problems, I cannot fire MOST DAO guns). 

Edited by Jonnin

if it's for home defense my vote would be a full size 9mm DA/SA with decock and safety ... such as my newly aquired Taurus PT92, that way you can keep one in the chamber with the hammer down and safety on ... with a manual safety + long hard DA trigger pull on the first shot i would feel safe with it in the house as long as it was put out of reach of small hands, and a nice heavy 9mm is alot softer shooting gun than an ultra light .38 or .380 not to mention being a better SD round in general

My wife has been shooting and really likes the Sig 238 (380) and her 938 (9mm) she has no problem racking or handling either of these.

They are SA so before she racks either she can cock the hammer for easier racking
Also take her to the range to let her feel comfortable shooting

Edited by JoeW
  • Like 1

For the house, you don't have to go smaller.  The smaller frames are harder to control and get comfortable with if you're not practicing a lot.

If it's just for around the house, then I'd suggest something more full size.  If she can handle racking the slide, a 1911 or full size Glock (or similar) works.  The Taurus PT92, mentioned earlier, is a nice pistol at a lower cost.  We have a compact stainless steel one and it is our best shooter.  Nicely balanced too.  If she can't handle the slide, then a DA revolver or even a pump shotgun would work.

In my situation, I have a little of both.

My wife can handle the slide so a full size Glock 17 with laser works for her.  The laser is for point and shoot and works for her.  She actually prefers the Springfield TRP 1911 but I'm not strapping a laser on that. 

My mother-in-law couldn't handle the slide, so I started her with a 410 pump shotgun.  She has a Judge now and like's it better.

No one mentions a .22 cal? The Ruger SP22 is a pretty awesome handgun and everyone in my house can use it with ease. I know most people don't like to rely on a .22 cal, but it's still a vicious little weapon. Plus, most of them hold 10 or more rounds and the recoil is almost non-existant, and the noise inside of a closed house is a lot less. Unless you have a crackhead breaking in your house... it's not going to take too many shots for someone to change their mind about entering. :2cents:

• Like 1

No one mentions a .22 cal? The Ruger SP22 is a pretty awesome handgun and everyone in my house can use it with ease. I know most people don't like to rely on a .22 cal, but it's still a vicious little weapon. Plus, most of them hold 10 or more rounds and the recoil is almost non-existant, and the noise inside of a closed house is a lot less. Unless you have a crackhead breaking in your house... it's not going to take too many shots for someone to change their mind about entering. :2cents:

i actually did have my Ruger SR22 loaded and in my nightstand for awhile (along with a 12g pump in the corner) before i replaced it with my Sig2022 recently, like you i feel pretty confident that 10 rds center mass with a .22LR would deter all but the most determined criminals .. and i dont own anything worth that much determination lol  

If you don't have kids in the house, get a shotgun. Point it down the hall and pull the trigger. My wife prefers that to a handgun, but with two little ones running around, it's not a feasible option.

20ga Remington 870 with a youth stock and 18" bbl would probably work well.

+1 on both the 20gauge and Ruger SR22.  It does not appear at this time that your wife is going to get comfortable enough with firearms to quickly, effectively and safely use them when fear/adrenalin/tunnel vision peak.  Make sure she has keys, light, charged cell phone next to bed.  Stun device and pepper spray might be options too.

I leave my wife with a G19.  She still has a hard time racking the slide, as she does it the way a girly girl would, so I leave a round chambered.  It is as simple as point and click if she needs to use it.  I figure if she can't solve it in 16 rounds it won't be solved.  I don't see her having to do a combat mag change in a gunfight if she has 16 friggin rounds.  She'll either hit something or make a whole lotta noise.  Either way, you aren't going to find many people who will continue their attack if they are shot or being shot at, just so they can rape or steal. 

I always see a lot of people suggest revolvers for women because there isn't a slide to rack or whatever.  It doesn't pass the common sense test for me.  Their revolver will likely only hold 5 rounds.  If they expend them do you think the average woman is going to handle a speed reload on a .38 while someone is trying to kill them?  Not likely.  Why not just give them a firearm with 3 times the capacity so they don't have to screw around with slides and whatnot.

Oh, and before someone chimes in with something about their ability to clear a malfunction let me add this: I own a Glock.  I've put 2k rounds through it of every type of ammo I can think of.  My HD ammo is the good stuff.  I'm confident enough that she won't have a malfunction with it if she has to use it.  If you are that concerned about your spouse clearing a malfunction on a semi auto pistol, then you own the wrong pistol for home defense.  Get a Glock.

• Like 2

My wife also hated the .38 snubby I rented for her.  Between the muzzle blast and heavy DA trigger, she hated it.  I didn't much like it either.  Now she has an all metal S&W 9mm compact.  Runs like a top, 12+1 capacity, mild recoil, and she has no issue 'racking the slide'. 

That said, you should get her the handgun she picks.

And speaking of women and 'racking the slide'...  I've shown a bunch how to do it and all of them could do my .45 compact with ease once they learned how.  The thing I learned is that most women have some apprehension about it, so they're tentative.  That's what prevents them from doing it.  Once you get them past that hurdle and convince them that they can't hurt the gun or themselves, its easy.  "That mindless hunk of metal is mocking you.  Get a little angry at it.  Don't let it beat you."  A little aggression and voila, they do it easily.   ....   Read more ->  http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

Taurus 941 Ultra Lite .22 WMR

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-941Ultralite.htm

My wife has the steel version of this gun.  8 rounds of 22 mag is good firepower, and as a home gun, you can get the longer barrel version of it.   The DA trigger is a bit stout  (its simply not possible to make a very small framed revolver with a light trigger, there isnt room to get leverage against the spring) but it has been an excellent pistol for us.   She carries this one when she wants small.