Desires vs Common Sense

knox

Just throwing out another fun discussion...

Here's where I am.  I would love to have a Sig P229. :yum:   Let's say it averages $950 - $1000.  I love what I read about it, the Youtube vids, and it just looks pretty. And mixing it up with a hammer fired gun seems enticing.

However, my common sense tells me that the Sig will not do anything that my $550 Glock 19 won't do.   :ugh:

Why are we never satisfied with what we have?   :rofl:

This is a great hobby, but MAN, it is an expensive one  :rant: Why do I love guns so much?!   :woohoo:

(Those smileys, though juvenile, are so cool...)

[quote name="knox" post="901119" timestamp="1359663386"]That's promising.  Thanks for the reply.[/quote] Well I had a P226, and it was nice. Worth a little bit too being one of the older ones. But I never carried it and didn't enjoy shooting it due to the 100lb trigger and going between SA/DA. My Glock is fun and easy to shoot, I'm more accurate with it and can get first round on target almost 1/2 second faster than my Sig. I did have the chance to shoot a P226 XFive which is single action like a 1911, and that was by far the nicest shooting pistol I've shot, ever. I could shoot like a champ with that thing.

However, my common sense tells me that the Sig will not do anything that my $550 Glock 19 won't do.   :ugh:

Sure it will, I occasionally use mine to strike a stuborn primer twice, kind of a pain to do with a glock but not a necessity either. Otherwise as long as you train with what you expect to use, then yes results wise they are rather similar. Trade-in Sigs are available just like glocks and float around $500 for a p229, not factory fresh but a good way to satisfy a curiosity.

I've shot plenty of glocks, but I own plenty of Sig's. the glock is an ugly, great working pistol that is accurate and has a bad grip angle, the sig cost more and is the best feeling pistol I've held. If you like the angle of the grip and the way it shoots, then why but anything else? Like I said, it's a great gun, but there are others. If you want some variety, get a sig, if you don't, buy more glocks... :).

Just trying to stir the pot a little...
  • Like 1
I'm actually glad that my interests have progressed more twords guns. I am also a guitar junkie and those start getting real spendy real quick when your interests are American made. On average most of my guns cost $800.00 or less, with $300.-$500. Being the average. When I look at guitars or amps $500 is about the low and escalate to about $2500. The real killer for me is ammo costs. I can keep all my guits in fresh string for a year on about the cost of one or two days at the range.

Here's where I am. I would love to have a Sig P229. :yum: Let's say it averages $950 - $1000. I love what I read about it, the Youtube vids, and it just looks pretty. And mixing it up with a hammer fired gun seems enticing.

However, my common sense tells me that the Sig will not do anything that my $550 Glock 19 won't do. :ugh:

Why are we never satisfied with what we have? :rofl:

This is a great hobby, but MAN, it is an expensive one :rant: Why do I love guns so much?! :woohoo:

(Those smileys, though juvenile, are so cool...)

Like you said it's a hobby. Go get one, if you don't like it you're not married to it, trade it for something else that catches your eye.
I've struggled with this as well. I flirted with a 1911 for a while and loved it. Problem was I knew I was stuck with Glocks for work so couldn't justify a 1911 habit. Nothing beats a 1911 trigger but the more I shot it the worse I got with my Glocks. So settled for the Glock addiction, lol.

It's like cars. They all get you for point A to point B.

Fewer people have the cars that cost more. Naturally, people want what they don't have.

While no one really wants what they or everyone else can have.

But I agree, it's not a hobby unless it get expensive.

At least that's how all my hobbies have been

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1

Knox, I have been where you are. I finally got happy, and it's nice to not have the expense of shopping around anymore. Boy, did it cost me while I was constantly looking and swapping.

My son loves the SIG platform. I have his here, and every once in a while, I just fondle it for a minute or two to remind myself why I settled in on Glock. Glock just plain works for me, and it ain't an arm and a leg...

• Like 1

It's like cars. They all get you for point A to point B.

Fewer people have the cars that cost more. Naturally, people what what they don't have.

While no one really wants what they or everyone else can have.

But I agree, it's not a hobby unless it get expensive.

At least that's how all my hobbies have been

I so agree... My hobby is my horse.. and his hobby is his guns.. could we do it a cheaper route?..of course.. but we enjoy nice things.And sometimes cheaper isnt better or just as good.. most of the time you get what you pay for these days..

And we never  had bad luck with Glocks.. not sure what all the hate is ..lol

Edited by Sour Kraut

I haven't had all the Sigs but I have had several including the aforementioned XFive Tactical.  Range toys are different, but I am trying to get my range toys all down to .22s so someday I can afford to shoot them again.  My go to SD handguns after going through a lot are: G19 (with some enhancement), Keltec 32(with some enhancement) and Ruger LC9 (with some enhancements). Oh it is good to have a back up glock or two, but it all depends what you want to do with your hobby.  I like shooting a 229, but after all the other handguns I have tried I can't ever envision myself buying one. You won't know until you know, but the circle likely comes back to G19:)

I love my Glock.  I shoot it better than anything else.  

I never realized I would be so "into guns" last year when I first bought it, then added a Walther PPS.  Now I seem to want every third gun I read about.

guns use to be a hobby.  now they are not with the gun control problems, high prices, etc....  once you would buy a gun and when it did not fit you, you sold it off/trade it off, and then went to the next gun of your liking.  not now with all problems.  now is the time to find a weapon that will fit your needs the best it can and stick with it.  

Yep, its addicting and expensive!  I look at all the ads here and say to myself that I would just go around saying "I'll take it!" all day if I had the money.

I have a G17 and G30SF and they are great guns, can't really go wrong with a Glock to me.

Oh how I drool looking at the X-Five. Saw a pic on the web, and went ballistic until I called my dealer to see about ordering one. Cha ching. And that was a year ago. I love Sigs, have owned and shot several models. Some people dislike how the controls are different and you have to retrain to operate them effeciently. They are fine firearms regardless.

[quote name="2006Blackpearl931" post="901497" timestamp="1359687912"]Oh how I drool looking at the X-Five. Saw a pic on the web, and went ballistic until I called my dealer to see about ordering one. Cha ching. And that was a year ago. I love Sigs, have owned and shot several models. Some people dislike how the controls are different and you have to retrain to operate them effeciently. They are fine firearms regardless.[/quote] I shot the one that Graycrait used to have. I would easily dump my 1911 for it if there was a more concealable version (shorter barrel and no rail). It is, by far, the nicest shooting pistol I've ever fired. I can't explain it, but the trigger is better than a 1911.