Crappy reloads!!!

orientalexpress

Met a guy today who had an LCP that was blown to pieces. According to him he bought some ammo from the local range and his ex was shooting it and BOOM! She was ok but her hand stung a bit. Allegedly the ammo came in ziploc bag (which I saw with a tax stamp) and was someone's reloads. If what he tells me is true then he probably has a lawsuit on his hands because I highly don't these are factory reloads.

imageczo.jpg

My friend bought some "factory" reloads from Classic Arms in the Memphis area.  They were from who ever markets them in Oakland.  The bullets were lead...he had a squib before he finally stopped shooting them.  They were filthy rounds with a ton of smoke/powder when fired.

Something to be aware of.  Only shoot factory or your own reloads.

Oriental, I don't think its quite lawsuit material yet.  If they were indeed from the range, that range owes a new pistol though.

Man I am really glad she is ok, and like was said already that little Ruger did a wonderful job of protecting her hand.  LCP or not it takes a lot to blow a Ruger to pieces.

I would start the conversation with "You have a choice between buying me a new pistol or we go legal."

I have fired factory reloads from Tennessee Cartridge, and they have been inconsistent and a bit under-powered, but nothing like this.  I would openly display suspicion about the source of their ammo. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe rather than an over-powered round, she fired once for a squib then twice for a bang? Arguing against that theory-- The LCP's barrel is too short to hold two bullets at the same time, which would make a blockage impossible. [just joking]

Maybe rather than an over-powered round, she fired once for a squib then twice for a bang? Arguing against that theory-- The LCP's barrel is too short to hold two bullets at the same time, which would make a blockage impossible. [just joking]

I'm kinda leaning towards your theory too. That is an incredible boom though. My bowels would have really let go.

On that note too, that's why I would never sell or give my reloads to anybody or test a new load anywhere near another person. I wouldn't want to blow up my gorgeous face, but I REALLY wouldn't want to hurt anybody else.

Edited by bikertrash2001

That picture says all I need to know about shooting someone else's reloads.

But think of the savings!  Buying someone's reloads in a ziplock baggie probably saved $5.   79 more baggies and that $400 gun will be paid for....

Forgive the sarcasm.  Glad she wasn't hurt.  I'd say she learned an expensive lesson.  A lawyer will cost a lot more than $400. 

I remember reading some posts on some other forums about a few of these pistols blowing the barrels, but it was early last year. I'm not saying they have issues and I'm a big Ruger fan. But i did read about this. I'm not sure if a cause was found. It might pay to research a bit if you own one to be on the safe side?.....jus say'n.
Looks like a learning experience to me. I would try to get the gun replaced by whoever sold the bullets, and give them the chance to make it right. If they replace the gun, then no harm done. And if the seller has any sense/decency they will stop selling this stuff before someone gets hurt. If they don't replace the gun I wouldn't sue, but I wouldn't do anymore business with them, and would let everyone know why. Like I said, learn from this. It was his decision to buy the ammo not knowing anything about it other than caliber.
I'm not trying to be smart, but I think law suits are too often the answer to everyones problems. When someone makes a bad decision, ie buying and using cheap questionable ammo, it doesn't mean they deserve a pay day. Edited by jb980

My guess is that those reloads were using bullets way too heavy for the caliber due to the reloader being lazy.  You can stuff a 115 grain bullet designed for 9mm in .380.  There are all sorts of things that work against you when you are dealing with a big bullet in a small case with very, very little variation in powder causing major pressure spikes....that bullet sets back .05 of an inch and you could have a 10,000+ psi pressure spike.

There isn't enough case capacity for a double charge even with bullseye or titewad.  Big bullet and setback caused that mess.  Was not likely a squib.