Why are revolvers in short supply ?

tercel89

Why are revolvers in short supply ? I thought the big crazy thing was the semi-auto's ? I am waiting for a Ruger LCR revolver and now on a waiting list . This sucks so bad .

I never thought that I'd be on a waiting list for a 5 shot revolver .

I've seen a lot of first time gun buyers in LGS' buying roundguns. Revos are simple to learn and the used ones at least seem cheaper than most semi's. 

Gun and Knife in Oak Grove had some revolvers in stock; don't remeber if any LCRs.

Edited by Dave Shooter

Why are revolvers in short supply ? I thought the big crazy thing was the semi-auto's ? I am waiting for a Ruger LCR revolver and now on a waiting list . This sucks so bad .

which one are you looking for?

Today, someone asked me which of my guns is my favorite.  I said I like my Sig because of the quality and accuracy, my Glock because of its ruggedness and simplicity, etc.  Then he said, "If you could only grab one, which would it be?"  I thought for a second, and said it would be my 4" Smith & Wesson model 65 revolver in .357 magnum.  Simple, rugged, reliable, multiple cartridge choices, and enough power for most needs.  

• Like 2

Probably due to the sequester. :shrug:

I do like wheel guns.  I have a couple.  My favorite is the S&W 642 38 Special. I bought last year from Buds Guns.  They had a shipment of the lockless 642's and I grabbed one.  It's a great carry in the summer with cargo shorts.  It fits in the baggy front pocket and hides excellent. 

• Like 1

My only revolver is a Ruger LCR. I chose to bring it with me on vacation this week along with my Glock 19.

There is just something about revolvers that I love. We're staying in a really bad part of Savannah GA for the next few days. Today while getting gas in a horrible part of town my girlfriend grabbed the Ruger out of my glove box when I went inside. I'm glad she can feel comfortable with it.

• Like 1

well, a lot can be said about dependability with no FTF or FTE or stovepiping, but most lightweights today are 5 rounders.  That's the only drawback I guess, but could be an important one in some situations.  I'd rather have 15 or 17 if I had a choice of course.

Obama and other liberals are the reason for the shortages along with citizens who never thought this could happen.

I will admit I traded my Beretta 92 for a Ruger GP100, and my Beretta Storm subcompact for a Ruger SP101.  I have never looked back.  You simply cannot beat a revolver for durability and reliability.  My GP100 will handle the hottest .357 magnum load I can muster with no problems.  My SP101 is small, but has enough front weight that it is easy to shoot with magnum loads.  The two of them will be around long after I am gone, and they caliber match my new Rossi 92 lever action.

I honestly do not own a semi auto handgun anymore, and don't regret it.  

• Like 1
I'm certainly a 6gun fan but also own and enjoy my semis as well. If I had to pick one out of all it would be the Blackhawk convertible. 9mm/38/357. There's nothing that gun won't do. Except reload fast, that is a skill that is beyond me. I think even an average shooter can reload a standard revolver faster than the fastes cowboy shooter.

I will admit I traded my Beretta 92 for a Ruger GP100, and my Beretta Storm subcompact for a Ruger SP101.  I have never looked back.  You simply cannot beat a revolver for durability and reliability.  My GP100 will handle the hottest .357 magnum load I can muster with no problems.  My SP101 is small, but has enough front weight that it is easy to shoot with magnum loads.  The two of them will be around long after I am gone, and they caliber match my new Rossi 92 lever action.

I honestly do not own a semi auto handgun anymore, and don't regret it.  

Tell you what, you did good! Revolver is my first love of a gun for self defense. Plain and simple. GP100 is my staple revolver with good loads. The sights are great and so is the trigger.

I have always one of those convertible Blackhawks.  They seem to be a bit rare these days.  

Took me a good while to find the .357/9mm couple of years ago.

If you can find the .357 BlackHawk, you can send it in to Ruger and they'll sell and fit ya the 9mm to go along with it (or the .45acp for the .45 model) for only a bit more than it would cost for the convertible from the gitgo. If they have any and can get around to it these days, that is.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Took me a good while to find the .357/9mm couple of years ago.

If you can find the .357 BlackHawk, you can send it in to Ruger and they'll sell and fit ya the 9mm to go along with it (or the .45acp for the .45 model) for only a bit more than it would cost for the convertible from the gitgo. If they have any and can get around to it these days, that is.

- OS

That may very well be but the last time I looked at the website there was some fine print that basically said they would only include the service for models that were already designated as convertibles IDK.

Mine was not found by any stretch, I had to go to my LGS in Ca and special order it. That was after a brief argument with the clerk that such a thing even existed.

Well worth the effort, it is awesome to have 9mm feel like a 22.

That may very well be but the last time I looked at the website there was some fine print that basically said they would only include the service for models that were already designated as convertibles IDK.

Maybe so then. Don't see why though. There's no difference between them, and no designation on the gun itself different from normal non-convertible. Only thing diff is a hand scribed last three serial number digits on the extra cylinder, or maybe on both, can't remember,  and I'm out of town so can't look.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Maybe while some folks are trying to buy semi-auto handguns with standard ('high') capacity magazines in anticipation of some kind of 'ban' others are looking to buy revolvers so that they know their guns will still be legal after the same, feared ban?  Or maybe it is just kind of the same reason that ammo for the normally less popular calibers like .22 WMR, .25acp and .32acp is a bit hard to find - because people are in a buying frenzy.

Edited by JAB