Got some bad news today..

jcj

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. My grandfather (Ron) was given 24 hours to live on Friday. Well, he's still with us..much longer than expected.  However, at this point he's just receiving 'comfort care' and awaiting the inevitable. He's no longer conscious and hopefully not suffering. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Edited by jcj
  • Administrator

I am sorry it's taken me this long to respond to the thread but I wanted to offer that I'll be sure to keep your grandfather and your family in my prayers.  While the outcome of these few days may not be what you desire, I cannot help but notice an underlying statement in what has transpired and hope that you will find some encouragement in it as you face the uncertainties ahead:

All too often we rely on the words of doctors as being final and authoritarian.  When they deliver bad news, we tend to take it at face value and sometimes resign ourselves to "the worst".  Your grandfather's prognosis was that he would only be with you for a few more hours and that was several days ago.  The fact that he persists with you is proof that the human spirit is an indomitable thing and that doctors do not always have the last word.  God does.

Those are two incredibly powerful and extremely valuable lessons to take away from this.  It's funny how sometimes the people we have looked up to our entire lives take a bit longer to stay with us and teach us a few more things before they finally lay down their burdens and embrace the eternal rewards of a life well lived.

Hang in there.

• Like 3

The fact that he persists with you is proof that the human spirit is an indomitable thing and that doctors do not always have the last word.  God does.

Very true statement right there, David.  Thanks for the kind words.  

The good news is his suffering is over now. He passed away about an hour ago.  Ron was a good man. As a child, I learned many lessons on respect, courtesy, and a general sense of always "do the right thing" from him.  He was an Air Force veteran and made a career of driving a bread truck until he was no longer able to work. Much of who I am today is thanks to time I spent with him. He will be missed but always remembered.

My grandmother is in for a tough time. Dealing with this is going to be tough for us all, but especially for her. 

On to trying to figure out arrangements over the next few days. 

Again, I thank you all for your kind words and prayers. His suffering is over and that's a blessing considering the amount of pain he has endured over the past week.

Sorry for your loss.

Keep your grandma active and engaged in life.  Don't let her give up: it is often fatal for an elderly person to give up or become lonely/depressed for a long period after losing a spouse/child.  I don;t mean that in any bad way, just saying, keeping her busy for a few months, even a year or more, is really, really, really helpful from my experience.

Edited by Jonnin