TGO member injured in hunting accident

DaveS

Oh so he comes over to my neck of the woods a lot then. Fort Loudon is 5 min from my house. I fish there almost everyday. Send him my wishes for a fast recovery. Would not mind meeting him for some fishing.

Don has done alot of living historys and I believe Fort Loudon is one of them. Don fishes Norris alot!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

How about a personal update?

I am home again after having my sixth and hopefully final surgery on the 12th (a week ago today). Had a couple of very good days at home, followed by a couple of pretty rough ones as I de-tox from all the heavy duty pain killers, etc., I've been on for the past month and a week.

Today is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be a little better yet. The biggest problem I'm having now (aside from the de-tox fiend) is just having to sit so damn still after a lifetime of physical activity. I can motorvate via both crutches and/or wheel chair, but it will be another five weeks before I can even think of putting weight on my left foot. And even the fact that I can now get around some is problematic given where we live (on the side of a heavily timbered ridge with the nearest sidewalk further away than I care to think about). So far, given that my wife's van is temporarily on the fritz, we have relied heavily upon my wife's honorary niece and her husband to get me to and from UT Hospital for surgery and various DR.s appointments.

DaveS mentioned elsewhere that I a stubborn and proud S.O.B. and I am here to verify it. That fact does not prevent me from being humble and I want to say again that mere words cannot begin to express the gratitude that both my lovely wife and myself feel for the outpouring of comradery, support, and just plain good thoughts and prayers from what I consider to be one of the finest forums on the net.

Perhaps, in a few more days, when I can sit at the computer longer, I'll tell everyone exactly (to the best of my ability, anyway) what happened. In the mean time, let me say again...

THANK YOU FRIENDS!

Don & Jackie McCrary

(A.K.A. TimeStepper & his MUCH better half.)

• Like 3

Back on for a few minutes. Again, humbled to tears by the outpouring of support.

My wife wanted me to extend her gratitude for the collection that was taken up for us. It couldn't have come at a better time and not only allowed her to help defray fuel costs of the friends who so graciously and selflessly volunteered their vehicle and time (lost income for them), but also allowed her to eat at the cafeteria during my last stay at the hospital.

DaveS - Not sure what's wrong with her van - it quit on her a mile or so from home during my first hospital stay. She called a tow service and the tow driver actually got it started long enough to get it back home. This isn't the first time it's happened though and, rather than take a chance and rely upon the van, she's been driving my little Dakota. Needless to say, there isn't enough room for both of us in the cab, given the extra needs of my left hind leg.

Again, many thanks!

...Don...

• Like 1

Quick update: Went back to the orthopedic surgeon today and everything is looking great! (If you'll excuse the fact that I'll never bend my ankle again and might kinda' sorta have to re-learn how to walk.) Anyway, all the pins, screws, titanium rod and bone fusion looked quite good on the x-rays. I go back to see him in four weeks and might actually get to start putting weight on it at that time.

Got another appointment with the plastic surgeon a week from this Thursday and I'm guessing that if the graft looks good enough to him at that point, then I might be able to throw the ace bandage away and start wearing a regular sock - although it'll be another 2 to 6 months before the swelling will go down enough to wear a regular shoe or boot.

So, all in all, I'm pretty damn tickled that things are going great even if I get a little frustrated at not being able to do much yet.

...TS...

You'll get there brother. Keep your head up, you'll be walking, albeit with a pimp limp, in no time brother

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

Speakin' of a pimp limp... When you comin' by again? :P

Should be running by tomorrow. Ive been dealing with helping dad remodel and its killing me on time to do damn near anything else.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere