Beyond repair

Just a report of another Glock Kabooom.  Neighbor is a new reloader, but not a dummy.  His 40 blew up (or down would be more appropriate)  using a middle of the range loading in FMJ.  Fortunately wasn't hurt.  He doesn't believe it was set back, as none of the remaining loads can be pushed in.  He pulled the remaining rounds and all measured powder was correct.  Don't know.....could have been shi..........happens or a mistake.  But nothing looks out of line, except the gun.

I'd think it's possible for all of the loads to have been good, except the one that blew. It could have been a double charge on that one maybe, due to lack of concentration for a moment? I'm sure it's happened before.

edited due to stupid smart phone spelling Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree it  c o u l d  have been a mistake on that one cartridge, but this guy is pretty careful, works around machinery, table saws, etc and still has all his fingers; and they are full length :). Also recently heard of two 9mm glocks blowing up with commercial reloads.  So I don't know.  It seems odd that I seem to only hear this about glocks, but hey, there are a lot of them out there.

I'd like to see pics and what he thought happened.

Is it possible a round got stuck in the barrel and one fired on top of it?

Wouldn't a primer without powder push the bullet out of it's casing but not out of the barrel?

Is the brass still intact?

If the brass is exploded I'd guess a double charge.

Time to do a root-cause-anlaysis before a news team shows up.  :tinfoil: Might as well go get a drug test too.  :hiding:

Seriously, I'm glad he's OK.  :usa:

I'd like to see pics and what he thought happened.

Is it possible a round got stuck in the barrel and one fired on top of it?

Wouldn't a primer without powder push the bullet out of it's casing but not out of the barrel?

Is the brass still intact?

If the brass is exploded I'd guess a double charge.

Time to do a root-cause-anlaysis before a news team shows up.  :tinfoil: Might as well go get a drug test too.  :hiding:

Seriously, I'm glad he's OK.  :usa:

Dont think just a primer going off would be anywhere near enough to cycle the gun and bring up the next cartridge in a rapid fire situation. If he was slow firing and had a squib load, racked the slide and shot without checking for barrel obstruction that could happen.

haven't seen those pics before.  Interesting.  I don't know if my buddy made any pics or not.  His explanation is everything went down through the trigger group.....in pieces.  He didn't mention anything that would suggest a squibb load; plus if that were the case the barrel would have split.

Edited by chances R
My bet is on a bad reload. I would like to see the primer of the kaboomed case. That will tell everything. If the primer is flat it is either a squib followed by a standard round or a round that was loaded beyond max pressure.

Was he sure he was using the correct powder? I have read about a lot of kabooms because someone used the load data for one powder and was actually using another. There was even a post here recently were someone suggested swapping data between powders because they were next to each other on a burn chart.

Where did you read a 9mm Glock had a kaboom with factory ammo? I call bad reloads on that one as well. I have loaded 9mm Glocks well beyond +P+ and never had a problem.

Didn't read it.  Info from eye witness at a range.  Not a squib, in this case, don't know anymore about the others.  I'm not saying he did or didn't double up the load.  He doesn't think so, just sayin I have 3 eyewitness accounts of these episodes......just passin it along.  For me, use a RCBS powder check, a visual check when seating the bullet, and I weigh 2 or 3 rounds out of every 50.  I like to keep my reloading costs down and a blown up gun doesn't help.

I have shot some 10mm Glock reloads that were in the nuclear range, never had a kaboom.

ALWAYS inspect your brass, NEVER EVER NEVER load max load on anything other than new brass and then approach it with extreme caution, this goes triple for a Glock using a factory barrel, steer clear of max loads with factory unsupported chambers.

Buy a chrono, just because you aint flattening or blowing primers that doesnt mean you arent over max psi.

• 2 weeks later...

40 seems to be the most common for the Kaboom . I read where it had to do with the support being cut away so the bigger 40 could get the cartridge up the ramp and into the chamber on the 9mm sized guns. Aftermarket barrels are supposed to help with that . So many possabilities as to what could have happened.  

40 seems to be the most common for the Kaboom . I read where it had to do with the support being cut away so the bigger 40 could get the cartridge up the ramp and into the chamber on the 9mm sized guns. Aftermarket barrels are supposed to help with that . So many possabilities as to what could have happened.  

40 is a high pressure round, with not a lot of room to play between max and min loads for many powders, and can be downright scary if you get bullet setback during a load cycle.  I was nervous every time I made a batch of it and am glad to be out of this caliber.  Its a good caliber, but its not a forgiving one.

Its the reloads im on my 7th .40 cal glock 2 27,2 23 and 3 22s and only one of them has had less than 10k rounds through it and ive never had a problem and my girl friends cousin has many glocks in .40 both for duty weapons and personal and he has never had a problem either so i think that says alot
  • 2 weeks later...