OhShoot almost got shot today, idiots don't need to own guns

I went to the range today with a bunch of fellow members. We were all TGO members with the exception of one guy who set up at one end while I was at the other. Because space was limited on my end my wife set up next the the guy to shoot.

A few minutes later I heard my wife call out to me so I stood up and started heading her way to see what was going on. At this point I seen the guy walking towards me messing with a pistol he had in his hand. At this point my wife pointed at him. I guess he thought I was there to help because as I was walking towards my wife he stopped right in front of me and begain to vigorously mess with his pistol. It looked to be out of battery and it looked like he was trying to get the slide to go into battery. He was pushing on the rear of the slide with his palm and had the finger of his other hand in the trigger guard actually hitting the trigger. The milisecond I realized what was going on I grabbed the gun and raised the muzzle to point skyward. If he had been able to get the slide to close then the gun would have went off.

There were several people in his line of fire but the guy was standing less than 2' directly behind OhShoot. Had the gun went off it would have hit him in the back. After grabbing his hands that were holding the gun I yelled at him to quit pointing a gun at other people. He then said he had a malfunction with his handloads. I was so upset I just walked back to where I was sitting and he followed me. He said he had a malfunction and asked if I was going to help. I told him no and I did so for several reasons. First I had no tools and I honestly don't want to mess with it, second he had just flagged no less than a 1/2 dozen people and finally he acted like it was no big deal. This is what upset me the most and made sure I would not help him in any way. And when I told him I wasn't going to help he got an attitude and said "what am I supposed to do now" and I said I don't know. He then acted like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum and said "I guess I will just pack up my stuff and go". With how he acted I expected him to start stomping his feet then throw himself to the ground as if to garner even the slightest bit of sympathy for him. At this point I just ignored him because it was starting to set in what he had just done and I was afraid I would say something to incite him or I might work myself up to a point of doing something stupid.

He had just done several things that were idiotic, retarded, stupid and just plan dangerous without an apology. And all of his actions could have easily killed someone. I rarely say someone doesn't need to own gun but this guy is the poster child. He should sell every gun he owns and take up knitting because no matter how screwed up he does that it will not possibly kill someone.

My wife later told me that all this started when she noticed the guy was making a lot of fertive movements that caused her to look over at him. When she looked at him he told her he had a malfunction and flagged her as he was trying to clear it. She got loud with him and told him to keep it pointed down range.  Most of the TGO members who were there had no clue because they were focusing on shooting and doing things safe but not this idiot.

After he walked away I crouched in the corner about to throw up because of what had just happened. The adrenaline came on strong and I became nauseated. After a few minutes I was fine but it was always in the back of my mind after that. At this point OhShoot walked over and I told him he almost got shot in the back because had the gun went into battery he would have, without a doubt, shot OhShoot in the back. This idiot made what should have been an enjoyable day for me a day of worry until I left a little while later.

This came close enough to being a disaster that I can assure you I will NEVER shoot with anyone I do not know. I will leave any range anytime anyone I don't know comes in. Life is too short to have some idiot make it even shorter. Even as I write this I am getting pissed because he could have taken my wife from me as well as some of my friends.

We are getting into the shooting season guys. Please, I beg you, do whatever you can to be safe.

• Like 4
Guest RedLights&Sirens
Im glad no one was hurt and you kept your cool as much as possible. Especially glad you didnt offer to help. I wish I could say I would have done the same but I may have lost it on him.

I also wish I could afford some land in the country because an RO was the only reason an ambulance didnt pick up the last guy who flagged me. Edited by RedLights&Sirens

I had something similar happen to me at Prentice Cooper Game Reserve shooting range.  Guy walks up with a completely worn out and jammed German Luger.  I cleared it and told him that pistol really don't look safe to me.  He came up the second time bitch'n and had the gun pointing at my gut.  I took it out of his hands, told my wife to pack our chit, after she got everything packed up I told her to head to the truck.  After she was out of the range area, I cleared it the second time unloaded the mag and handed the pistol, cartridges, and pistol back to him with strong worded encouragement to pack it in.......I've never been back.

I haven't gotten into reloading yet (unsupervised) simply because I haven't done my homework and I don't want to cause death or dismemberment of me or anyone around me. This guy however, sounds like a complete greenhorn who had the capital to buy guns and gear at the onset of the AWB panic and then attempted to "wing it". Let's just pray that his pissy attitude was just a defensive response because he was scared and embarrassed as hell. Lets also pray that he winds up shooting himself before he accidentally kills someone else.

I haven't gotten into reloading yet (unsupervised) simply because I haven't done my homework and I don't want to cause death or dismemberment of me or anyone around me. This guy however, sounds like a complete greenhorn who had the capital to buy guns and gear at the onset of the AWB panic and then attempted to "wing it". Let's just pray that his pissy attitude was just a defensive response because he was scared and embarrassed as hell. Lets also pray that he winds up shooting himself before he accidentally kills someone else.

His attitude was because he was a clueless idiot, pure and simple. And speaking of simple I am sure that adjective has been used to describe him on more than a few occassions during his lifetime.

His attitude was because he was a clueless idiot, pure and simple. And speaking of simple I am sure that adjective has been used to describe him on more than a few occassions during his lifetime.

Oh i'm sure you're right. I was just trying to rationalize it because I don't understand that level of stupid.

edit***

Also, wish you guys were closer to Nashvegas. I need a good friendly group shoot.

Edited by NoBanStan
For the most part I subscribe to the " you can't fix stupid school of thought." However, given the fact that most gun owners never bother to get any training, I'd say that we all can benefit from identifying a teachable moment and try to keep that from happening so routinely...

Glad you at least told the guy his behavior was unacceptable. Whether you decide to fix his problem is another story. You aren't there for charity work either.

Norris or John Sevier? This seems like Norris to me...I have seen people walk downrange while others were about to shoot, and I believe other members have seen this as well. It's just a matter of time before someone gets killed.

EDIT: nevermind^^^

Edited by austin7.62

For the person that ask, Norris range has no RO on site.

Maury County is similar, there is an RO but almost always sitting in a building and unable to even see 2 of the 3 pistol ranges.
Honestly, I've been to ranges where even having a RO sitting 6 feet away hasn't helped.

I took my carry permit class at Guns and Leather several years age.  While in the range I noticed holes shot in all the lane tables.  That was enough for me to stay away from ranges.  I shoot in back yard.  

I have a couple a free passes for On Target.  I thought I might try to use them on off hours when no one else is there.  That has been over a year ago.   

after reading Dolomite's post I am glad I was unable to make it out there with the gang today.   We have been there many times together to shoot and I have not witnessed this kind of stupid stuff at the Moose before.

I am very happy no one got hurt.