Anyone ride bicycles?

Found myself bored on the weekends, so I bought a bike for money free fun on the weekends. I forgot how much i liked it as a kid. I cant stop riding and go out every day. 5-9 miles an evening and up to 50 miles on the weekend.

Ive also got an addiction to adding things like lights, speaker etc...

My wife said the other day i looked thinner, jumped on the scale and ive lost 14 pounds in 3 months. Its pretty cool yo get healthy with something so fun. Who else enjoys biking?
  • Like 1

Hopefully this doesn't have to degrade into a "I'm a cyclist" vs "I hate you bicycle people" thread..

First, Jesse - Congratulations on the weight loss!  Working on that myself..

I just recently picked up a new mountain bike after not having ridden a bike in 15 years or so.  The weather hasn't been cooperating, but I have managed to put a few miles on it around the neighborhood and even hit the trails a few times. I find that I enjoy cruising down the trail much more than riding around my own neighborhood. I get to enjoy the outdoors, get away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind, and get some low-impact exercise in at the same time.  

What kind of bike ya got?

I got a mountain bike and put road tires on it.

I enjoy riding in my neighborhood and i can cross the street and explore another neighborhood.

Ive found a 9 mile round trip between the two.

I hit the greenway sometimes. But a lot of people walk it. Cant go to fast.

I used to ride all over the place when I was in high school.  I ride very little now, mostly waiting for my kids to learn to ride so we can go more often.  I really enjoy it both from the "just getting out" perspective and the fitness benefits, which I desperately need.   As with most all of my hobbies, I just don't have much time to do it very often. 

I got a mountain bike and put road tires on it.

I enjoy riding in my neighborhood and i can cross the street and explore another neighborhood.

Ive found a 9 mile round trip between the two.

I hit the greenway sometimes. But a lot of people walk it. Cant go to fast.

I considered doing that too and using the road tires when cruising the neighborhood. In the end, I figured it wasn't worth the expense since I intend on doing most of my riding on the trails when the weather is cooperating.

Here's the bike I picked up: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/29er_sport/mamba/

Wow thats a nice bike. I got a cheap one, but may upgrade the more i get into riding.

Do you guys wear helmets? I bought one cause my wife is worried when i go night riding.

I'd wear one riding on public roads, but probably not when just riding around the neighborhood or greenbelt.  But since I have to be "a good example for my kids", I wear one all the time.  Its not a big deal, helmets now are so much nicer than the huge, goofy thing I wore 20 yrs ago. 

Along those lines, I'd also wear something "hi-vis" and have the blinky lights on the bike if riding on public roads.  If people claim to have not seen trains, a bicycle doesn't stand a chance. 

Edited by peejman

I don't ride my road bike as much as I do the mountain bike that I got last year.  Mountain biking is so much fun at times that you don't realize you are actually getting some exercise.

I have a 2010 Cannondale SystemSix Carbon... a road bike.  I ride 2-3 times per week when the temperature is over 65 degrees. I did the 30 miler Tour de Nashville last Saturday because a friend didn't want to ride it alone. Otherwise, I ride mostly by myself out in the country west of Nashville. I never, never ride in the city.  If I go out near dusk, I'll carry a small 18650-battery flashlight in case it gets dark before I get back. It's easy enough to hold the flashlight like a cigar while keeping my hand on the handlebar.

I used to ride a lot in Indiana, we had some really great bicycling trails both paved & dirt paths where I lived, unfortunately I haven't found anywhere around here to ride except on road - which I'd rather not, considering how inattentive & dangerous the folks around here seem to drive.

I would love to find some decent trails, even if I have to drive a bit to get to them, my 29" Mongoose MB has been sitting idle collecting dust for over a year now, which absolutely bites because it is hands-down the best riding, most comfortable bicycle I've ever owned ...*sigh*

I ride, although I guess I look like an old man doing it... I have a Schwinn 8 speed beach cruiser, and the wife has the ladies model with PINK rims!  HAHA!  We enjoy riding out in Alcoa on the greenway and taking a picnic lunch.  I've even taken it to cades cove and rode it there.  

Do you guys wear helmets? I bought one cause my wife is worried when i go night riding.

Yes. Personally I wouldn't ride without one. Cheap insurance for when you fall and not really any downsides to wearing one. .

My wife and I ride in our neighborhood and sometimes on the river walk.  We have the Trek Pure.  7 speeds and upright riding position.  They are not a speed demon's bike, but they are a joy to ride.

[url=http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Randallg53/media/trekpurebicycle.png.html]trekpurebicycle.png[/URL]

Edited by Randall53

A mountianbike with road tires could be considered a "Hybrid". My dad rides his everyday after work( if the weather is nice). I have been riding my K2 with him when I am home. Living out in the country in Lincoln county there isn't much safe places to ride so I leave mine in Tullahoma and hopefully when I'm permanently moved back there I'll be able to ride everyday like I used to. Mine's a full suspension Mountianbike with disc and v-brakes. Heavy bike, yet highly visible( black and yellow) soon as I can find a pic of it, I'll post one up.

Definitely wear the helmet. A helmet is much cheaper than a CAT scan. I know of a woman in Camden that rode around the neighborhood years ago and just fell over at about 2-5 mph, hit her head and died. It's not how fast you are going but how far you fall before the noggin hits the pavement. Have fun and be careful. I ride about 3000 - 4000 miles a year and it's great fun and good for you too. Get involved with a local club and see how much more fun you can have.

• Like 1

I don't ride as often as I like but have always been involved with bikes of some kind. I used to often pick up vintage bikes at yard sales to rebuild and resale. Bought a real sweet 80's model Specialize Sirrus that had the old BioPace chainrings on it, don't see why that idea didn't take off. Kept it for a long time until that riding position was unable to be maintain anymore. 

Currently have a new Raleigh Misceo that replaced my Proflex that got stolen back in Nov.. 

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/54644-thieves-suck/?hl=proflex

[URL=http://s779.photobucket.com/user/richarddacat/media/MISC/market_148_zps79b35ba4.jpg.html]market_148_zps79b35ba4.jpg[/URL]

Might as well plug it here since most bike riders pay attention to other bikes. This picture is not my bike but was very similar.

How many of you run your Dogs while on your bike? This usually gets me out riding more often.

First of wear a helmet always, road or dirt. You could be a vegetable in pretty short order otherwise. Helmets are cheap. If you can't afford one, let me know and I'll send you one.

Bike position is all about comfort. The more you ride it may change and your strength improves. Flexibility is key.

I ride a road bike, sold my mountain bike years ago.

Bianchi Veloce - full Campy Groupset

Posted Image

Edited by Lumber_Jack