M1941 USMC Sniper Re-Creation

At long last my effort to build a M1941 USMC Sniper re-creation is finished and tested.

It began as this Pawn Shop find.  A M1903 Mark I that bubba had D&T to the point that it had more holes than a slice of Swiss Cheese.

ab5t2b.jpg

Now after all of the "Re-Creation."

9hrmvd.jpg

Interesting what you can do with all of the left-over stuff in your spare parts box. 

The pre-war Springfield C Stock and the cut-down handguard I had picked up at a collectors show a while back.  I already had all of the 1903 metal parts to include a complete rear sight and Nickel Steel bolt and grooved National Match trigger and sear. 

Ben Schade (Gunsmith at the Lebanon Gun Shop (615) 547-9600) plugged all of the old holes and then did a new D&T for the Leatherwood Malcolm 8X USMC Sniper Scope.

3088bjp.jpg

I was thinking about doing a re-park of all the metal, but with the stock's patina I felt that a fresh metal refinish would look out of place.  So I used an old trick of using a heat gun on the metal and with 0000 steel wool, rubbed hard into the remaining finish with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue Crème.  Afte a week or two soaking in CLP, the finish takes on a blacken look of the old Springfield finish.

Before.

2mgt7ja.jpg

After.

t70qro.jpg

And the best part of all - - - This rifle will hold the Ten-Ring at 600 yards using match ammo.

Heck, I just might have to shoot a F Class Mid-Range match with it. 

• Like 11
Beautiful rifle. I like the Unertl look. What did you use for rings and mounting blocks ? I don't see a recoil spring, is it not needed with the reproduction scope?

I have my 8X Unertl on a Remington .243 700 heavy barreled varmint. Edited by R1100R
  • Like 1

Beautiful rifle. I like the Unertl look. What did you use for rings and mounting blocks ? I don't see a recoil spring, is it not needed with the reproduction scope?

I have my 8X Unertl on a Remington .243 700 heavy barreled varmint.

The USMC didn't use the recoil spring.  Since I plan to shoot this rifle in CMP vintage snipers matches, the spring had to go.  I'm still getting use to pulling the scope back into the mounts after the shot.  The rings and blocks are still the CHICOM Leatherwood parts.  Not too bad, the adjustment clicks are repeatable, but with a little mushy.  I replaced all of the screws with USA hardware since the Chinese stuff is know to be on the soft side and tend to break.

A Unertl would have been nice, but the cost of those scopes have now placed them in the world of collectors.  If I break this, I'll just order another one up from Midway.  Break a Unertl and there are only about 5 or 6 guys left in this world who still know how to work on them, must less have the parts.  Besides, I have to say that the glass in these reproductions is very good.

Did I mention that I lucked out with the barrel.

Its a Star Gauged National Match.  Reckon bubba knew something when he tried to make this 03 into a hunting rifle and found a good replacement barrel.   

Just wish he hadn't put a grinder to the end of the barrel to take the front sight rib off in an aborted attempt at a sporting profile.  He almost wiped out the star gauge marking (but the number is still on the barrel).

357q5i1.jpg

Also note the date (this photo before the re-creation).  That is the Last month and year that Springfield made Star Gauged 1903 barrels.  If bubba haven't attempted his "smithing" it would have been a Very, VERY Valuable barrel. 

fck02f.jpg

My guess is that the barrel was sold via the DCM post WWII and then found its way onto this 1903 Mark I receiver.    

Here is a pic that explains how the scope moves during recoil.

The scope in its firing position with the forward stop (Red Arrow) resting against the front ring.  When the rifle recoils it moves under the scope and the rear stop (Yellow Arrow) limits the movement of the scope.  For the next shot you run the bolt to chamber a new round and then pull the scope to the rear up against the forward stop. 

5ydo3s.jpg

This was done back before "shock-proof" scopes where designed.  This protected the glass in the tubes from recoil.

• Like 1