Thinking of getting started reloading, care to break down some costs?

• Moderators

I am thinking about reloading. I have always loved the idea, I just haven't committed to it. Now I think I'd like to purchase the equipment as I can afford it. However, what I'd like to know is roughly the CPR of reloaded ammo.

Assuming that the brass is "free", what CPR can you conclude in a quality 9mm target round?

Powder=$

Primer=$

Jacketed Bullet=&

I'd like to be able to purchase what I can from dlm37015. 

Granted, I know that I am quite a ways off from actually starting, first I will probably purchase a good manual and start reading. I guess right now I am just looking for motivation to actually get started. I hate paying $21.95 for 50 rounds of target 9mm, but have admittedly purchased $43.90 worth of ball 9mm in order to shoot a bit in the previous month (I love to shoot, but have held off from doing so since everything has been crazy). I felt like I was splurging on a $50 steak or something, and it lasted about the same length too. I now am thinking I could have put that $43.90 in a jar and started looking for reloading equipment (about $200-$400 worth I suppose). But really it is the CPR for 9mm, 5.56mm, and potentially .357 that has me interested.

Powder==== $25.00/lb.  Can probably load 700 rounds/ pound with about 10 grains per load.

Primers====$30.00/ thousand.

Bullets=====$18.00/hundred (...hornady 124 grain jacketed hp -- good bullet...).  Maybe cheaper when ya by by the 500 or thousand.

I'm sure David has all this stuff. 

leroy

If you are trying to justify the decision based upon costs, I did that for 20 years, refusing to step in the reloading mode, because I could never justify it.  However, last December, I threw the cost justification out the window, and made my decision on just having the ability to reload at home and having ammo when I need it.  Now $2K later, I have all that I need, and then some.  I shoot a lot more, and what a fantastic hobby to have!  It really is fun!  I now reload 9mm, 40S&W, 45Auto, 357Sig, 10mm and 223.  Over time I am going to pick up 270, 30-30, and 300 Win Mag.  That should cover 100% of my current calibers.

Edited by Runco

Caution: Handloading can be every bit as addictive as shooting. And it's a very rewarding endeavor. :pleased:

As far straightforward cost?

My 9mm 147 gr lfp's cost me about $.10/round. I plan to eventually cast, which will reduce the cost factor even more.

I use this link for calculations: [url=http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp] Handloading Cost Calculator[/url].

I just bought 1K primers locally for $42/k. that's the highest ive ever paid. usually around $33. Powder costs me $16-18 locally at midsouth shooters supply. I run 5 grains under a 125gr lead bullet. so I get around 1400 rounds from a pound of powder. I pay $205 shipped per 3K from Missouri bullet company.

$42 for primers works out to .042/round

$18 for powder works out to .013/round

$205 for bullets works out to .068/round

Total is 12.3 cents per round.

and as always, if you buy bulk powder and primers, it works out a bit better. my last deal was pure luck. I ended up with 5K wolf pistol primers for $50. was buying xtreme plated bullets from tjconevera for a bit more, $85/k shipped, and getting powder at the midsouth wharehouse for $16/lb vs the $25 or so at the LGS. if I buy an 8lb keg of the same powder, I basically get 2 lbs free.

I got into reloading to save money and I did for a bit. bought Lee equipment, which I still use and kept it simple. I now shoot several thousand per year vs maybe 1K a year when I was buying commercial so it does help. lost a lot of brass during competitions so I try to get it at the range if I can.

In my opinion reloading for cost at this time is not a good move but reloading as a hobby is a good way to go.

Reloading allows you to make ammo designed for your firearms and to have a little extra pride when shooting because you made the ammo.

You may save some money but I believe most who reload actually shoot more and may not save that much.

For me reloading and designing the ammo I want is almost as much fun as shooting the ammo.   :woohoo:

• Like 1
I have purposely stayed with the basics and I'll tell you that the above numbers are right on. With 9mm there isn't much cost savings but it is fun and I can do custom loads. if I lost all my equipment tomorrow to do straight wall pistols I could spend as little as $225 for equipment and start over(plus powder, primers, and bullets).

I'm in Chattanooga and will be more than happy to walk you through your first ones or you can come watch me. I do 9mm to.
My 9mm are right around 15 cents per round right now but only because I haven't bought in bulk.

I have a RCBS turret press and love it. Faster than single stage but cheaper than a progressive. Its easy to deprime/size and rotate to expand, then rotate back for the next brass.

I disagree on the cost saving aspect. I believe it is still worth it. at 15cents per round, that's only 150.00/k. you cant buy WWB at walmart or anything equivalent elsewhere for $15/100.

as far as equipment, I started with a kit from Lee. i got the breechlock challenger single stage kit. after 10K various rounds, 9mm, 40, 45acp, 38spl, 357mag, 223, and 308, i bought my second press which is a 9mm Lee Pro 1000. it has been great for the price. its finicky at times but nothing very complicated. i also bought a spare turret for it in 9mm with a second powder measure for the turret. since they use the same shell plate, i got the ability to load both progressively for less than $250 complete, including die sets. so i have two sets of 9mm and 40 dies but one of each sits on the turrets and the other is on standby for load development on the single stage. the rifle calibers still get loaded on the single stage.

i have also had great luck with a couple $20 Possum hollow trimmers if you decide to do rifle calibers in the near future as well.

Im sure the more expensive presses, like Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady, have better fit and finish but i went cheap for a reason and have had great luck. The other way i justify it was i spent $100 on the single stage kit, and another $125 on a RCBS digital scale and RCBS universal hand priming tool. so that $225 got returned by saving a minimum of $100/k over WWB prices at walmart and i was getting much better quality and nato spec ammo. so in the first 2K, the press paid for itself. 5 years later, i spent the other $250 on the progressive and it has also been paid for through my efforts.

Edited by broylz

From a pure cost buildup perspective, when formulating and calculating your cost, make sure to include not only your variable cost (bullets, powder, primers), but also you have to bake in your fixed costs too (dies, press, brass prep stuff), and like most your labor is free, otherwise you have to bake that into.   BTW brass would be considered a fixed cost because you can reuse it (at least I do). 

• Like 1

...   BTW brass would be considered a fixed cost because you can reuse it (at least I do). 

I was just getting ready to say, most of the calculations above are not taking brass into consideration.  I wouldn't consider a fixed cost.  You can never get all of your brass back, but you can get most of it.  So maybe stay safe and figure you'll get 50% of your handgun and AR brass back.  Bolt guns are 100%.  Find a good source for dirty brass and clean it yourself and you'll save money.

But as many have said, reloading is more of a hobby than cost savings.  Don't get me wrong, cheaper is cheaper, whether it's $0.03 a round or $0.20 a round.  The real benefit I see is, if you stay stocked on your components you can still keep shooting while others are standing in line at 5am at Wal-mart trying to get their three boxes. 

But as many have said, reloading is more of a hobby than cost savings.  Don't get me wrong, cheaper is cheaper, whether it's $0.03 a round or $0.20 a round.  The real benefit I see is, if you stay stocked on your components you can still keep shooting while others are standing in line at 5am at Wal-mart trying to get their three boxes. 

100% agree, that is why I am now in the reloading hobby.  Always wanted in, just never could justify from a cost/benefit view point! 

And another story...

I bought my Dillon 550 used for $350 two years ago. I only shoot 9mm, IPSC, IDPA & Steel. I was buying 115gr Fed from Walmart by the case that ran $11/50+/-. I thought I would never reload buying my ammo for that price. But almost everyone that I was shooting with reloaded so I thought why not.

I buy all my supplys in bulk. The range where I do most of my shooting gets up a bullet order once or twice a year for Vallent lead.

This is MY break down:

125RN $38/1000 = 3.8

TiteGroup Powder $20/lb.  3.8gr   around 1,800 rds/lb  = .011

Fereral SSP $30/1000 = .03

All I use (and have ever used is range brass..So

Add that up and i'm loading for .079 cents a round. $3.95/50rd box

That price goes up when I'm shooting 115gr MG, but was lucky that I ordered three cases before the crazy hit.

I really like to reload my ammo but if you find everything you need at the right price, you CAN save $$$

Plus, have ammo to go shoot every weekend.

HTH

• Like 1

CZ, I will chime in with the others. I got into it when Clinton was in office, I decided then that reloading as a hobby and as a way to save was for me. I started out with a RCBS rockchucker and still have it, have done tons of ammo on it. I bought a used Dillon SDB on e-bay and it will load 300 rounds of most handgun calibers in 1 hour. My cost for .40 is less that $5.00 per 100 because I also cast my own lead bullets. Yes all of this takes time, but you know what I can go to the reloading room any day and crank out the ammo I need at a cost much less than you will pay IF you can find it. I don't worry about going to the range and shooting 2-300 rounds of ammo. Just this morning I shot 2 rounds of trap= 50 rounds, about 30 rounds of .223, 75+ rounds of .40, and 100 or so of .22lr. Of all that the .22lr was the only factory ammo I shot. But beware it is addictive. I almost like reloading as much as shooting, they go hand in hand. You MUST shoot your ammo so you can take that empty brass and reload it. You may not save any money at all, because you will shoot more, but that will make you a better marksman also.

If reloading becomes a chore for you, add a hundred bucks per hundred rounds for frustration.  If your only consideration is cost, maybe you should get a part job to buy factory ammo.  I started shooting 60 years ago.  In the ensuing years my soul has been subsumed by the black hole of shooting, reloading, gunsmiffin',  wildcatting, casting, paper patching and now, powder coating.

Given the time and money I have invested in my hobbies, I could be a par golfer enrolled in a nice private country club and traveling to senior tournaments across the country.  But then I would have to associate daily with preppies and yuppies. (my mountain kin and swamp rat relatives would not approve!)

My ashes will be buried in the box that my Dillon 650 arrived in, cost be damned! 

Edited by jaysouth
  • Like 1
Guest tnpaul

At this time with the scarcity of reloading compontants  I would not get into reloading till things settled down. I reload for the fun and really like it.

If you do your homework and use the internet, finding components at pre December pricing can be done.  I have paid 0% premium, and have found all components for 9mm, 40S&W, 45auto, 223 and 10mm.

If you do your homework and use the internet, finding components at pre December pricing can be done.  I have paid 0% premium, and have found all components for 9mm, 40S&W, 45auto, 223 and 10mm.

This is very true, as I've been able to do the same. It's a bit more challenging these days, but very doable. And imho, worth the effort.

Like many I refused to cast until maybe 6 months ago, that brought the cost down to the primer and powder.  However it did add labor....which I happen to enjoy.  It also brought independence which I really enjoy!  But of course if you factor in the equipment price the costs go up over the number of loads you roll up.  So....load more, save more I say. :up:

Bullets are the easiest to find.  Powder/primers are out there, but you gotta look.  There's 7000 grains in a pound of powder.  Divide by the charge you're using to find the # of rounds you'll get from a pound.  Cheaper to buy the powder/primers from a shop.  Buy online and you'll get hit with a HAZMAT fee on top of the shipping cost.  As said before, it's not cheaper to reload cuz you'll just shoot twice as much. :pleased: