Caster's Monday rant

This morning, next to entrance to our new confernce center/hotel/condos on the river, there was a big very dead deer.  With at least 10  buzzards sitting on it, and another 30-40 waiting around for their turn.  It almost caused a traffic jam with gawkers.

Pretty hard to grab a dead deer out from under that many birds  :squint:

Edited by R_Bert

We have a crazy neighborhood lady that puts her trash out in the back yard to attract the wildlife. (She actually had her house overrun by raccoons at one point and she was sleeping in her van in the driveway, but that is another story). Anyway the animals that came for dinner attracted a coyote. Her house borders one of the Oak Ridge Green Ways.

Her next door neighbor has a few cats and she was worried about the coyote killing them. She didn't know what to do, so I called the city Animal Control, which is actually a division of the Police Dept.

They told me that the coyote was wildlife and not their responsibility. they would be happy to come if it were a dog or cat. I should call a trapper and pay to have it removed. I was pretty annoyed, like you, that they would allow citizens to be endangered because they didn't want to do their job. Since I knew they were the police, I thought I'd at least get a rise out of them and asked if I could shoot it with a .22 since I felt threatened for my safety, and that of my grandkids and neighbors. He got real serious and said "It is illegal to discharge any gun in the City. What did you say your name was?" I already knew it was illegal and would not have done it anyway. So then, just to keep it going I asked if I could shoot it with an arrow. He didn't answer right away, so I jumped in and said "I'm going to take your silence to mean you just don't want to know about it. Thanks, Bye" and hung up.

My next call was to the TWRA, who also said it was not their responsibility, and I should call a trapper or trap it myself. I asked if I trapped it, would they come and pick it up and relocate it, and she said "No, I had to get rid of it myself". I told her the City said I could not shoot it, so how was I supposed to get rid of it? And since I'm such a smartass I said, "What am I supposed to do, club it to death?" She got all serious on me too and said, "Sir, clubbing an animal to death.....is a perfectly acceptable form of euthanization".  :stunned:

I guess she got me.

Anyway the coyote finally moved on, or someone else got rid of him, since he is not around anymore. I swear I didn't do it.

Guest confidence

Antifreeze is cruel and pretty sure it is illegal to use as a poison. I would rather be sprayed than know I poisoned any animal with antifreeze. It takes days for an animal to die and it is excruciating for the animal.

I didn't know that. My bad!! :cry:

I had a situation similar to that of the OP.  I was working security for a retail store and there was a certain shipping and receiving manager who constantly acted without thinking.  He comes and knocks on my office door and is holding a cardboard box, which he just hands to me and says "I found this in the parking lot, I don't know what to do with it.  I think it's hurt."  So I ask him what's in the box and he tells me it's a raccoon.  Killing people at work isn't legal although I want to, really bad actually.  Since I spent a lot of time coon hunting growing up I knew that confining a raccoon to a cardboard box is about as effective as containing a raccoon in a wet paper sack.  The raccoon wasn't moving around much, I reluctantly sat the box in my office, with visions of the paper work I would have to do if this thing tore up anything or worse bit someone, since I was the guy in charge of safety in the store allowing someone to receive injury via raccoon on my watch was not an option.  I first called the police department, they said they didn't have the means to deal with it.  Next was TWRA, can't remember why but they couldn't deal with it either.  The police dept actually asked me if I had a gun and if I would be willing to dispatch it, since it was against company policy to have guns at work I told the dispatcher that do to my specific location and the firearms policy I couldn't do that.  I got the run around and called several other gov't agencies and found several people who wanted to help and did help, just finding someone to deal with the thing.  Eventually the sheriffs department sent their animal control unit out to get the thing.  After this experience I will say SSS when applicable, the government is obviously not in the injured wild animal business, but even worse there seems to be no channel for dealing with these situations.

Antifreeze causes crystals to form in the kidneys and then they quit functioning like they should. It can take days for the body's poisons to build up enough to cause death. Basically the animal dies of kidney failure but the build up of crystals in the kidneys is also painful.

Ask any vetrinarian how it affects animals. It is horrendous.
Guest confidence

Antifreeze causes crystals to form in the kidneys and then they quit functioning like they should. It can take days for the body's poisons to build up enough to cause death. Basically the animal dies of kidney failure but the build up of crystals in the kidneys is also painful.

Ask any vetrinarian how it affects animals. It is horrendous.

:ugh:  Ow....I'll go ahead and say sorry um again, then.....

:ugh:  Ow....I'll go ahead and say sorry um again, then.....

Not a problem. A lot of people think it is a quick and/or painless death but it couldn't be farther from the truth. Most poisons they sell are a lot quicker as well as a lot more humane. Personally I will never use any type of poison.

We recently had a 'coon in the backyard with the dogs. It looked like it may have had distemper. It was trying to get in the dog house with the dog inside. Had flies blowing it, too. Nasty.

So to keep it from giving whatever it had to the dogs, I went ahead and shot it in the head (I'm not in the city limits), then called animal control. I thought they may be interested if it did indeed have distemper or rabies. Nope. The only time they test them is if there has been contact with people or pets. They wouldn't even come get it. So I took it to my Dad's in another county and burned it. Edited by Clod Stomper

I had a simliar situtation at work the other day . I got a call with a raccoon not acting right. It more than likely had distemper or rabies. I see the raccoon . I called TWRA. They said to call The Health Department. I am thinking what the heck for ? So I call them . They then tell me to call TWRA !!! So then later the Health Department calls and says they only send the head of the suspected animal off to be tested if the animal bit or attacked another animal or human. They do not handle nor trap the live animals. I am a city officer . We just deal with humans and not equipped to deal with animals. What I cant understand is why cant TWRA come out and handle the "wild animal" when their name is Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) ????? I maybe missing something but seems like more and more people push off stuff on the police that really need to go through different agency's .  But Caster , I believe you were correct in calling the TWRA . That is what I would have done too . And I hear your frustration too buddy . Fortunatley I live in the country and not the city limits so if I encounter something like that I just shoot it  :cool:

I was lucky growing up living so close to a state park. When I was a kid, we found injured animals all the time and we would take them to the head ranger and he would nurse them back to health and release them or dispose of the body. I think it was more of a hobby than part of his job. He had a bird of prey license and all. He actually had a turkey vulture that would follow him around the park like a dog. It could not fly so it became his pet.

JTM
We the People of the United States

Several years ago there was a dead cat in the road where my driveway ends. I called animal control and they said they don't handle anything that small. In other words, if it doesn't block the road, they don't get involved.

And I pay taxes why?

I took a shovel and carried it onto the back forty where I buried it.

This is a good excuse to add a nice high power air rifle to the collection.

We get exactly ZERO benefits for our taxes. LEO and 911 can't get here for 50 minutes.  The roads are full of pot holes out here, We have no kids in the school system. They dont mow off the sides of the roads but maybe twice a year and if you complain about anything you get the ole "We are working under the last guys budgets :(" answer.

Several years ago there was a dead cat in the road where my driveway ends. I called animal control and they said they don't handle anything that small. In other words, if it doesn't block the road, they don't get involved.

And I pay taxes why?

I took a shovel and carried it onto the back forty where I buried it.

I'm a "not-happy-about-taxes" guy too...I just happen to be one of Caster's worthless government worker types.

Having said that, I'm going to give you the other side.

The other day, we get a police call-for-service from someone because they had a wasp's nest in their garage.  Really, they called the police for that.

This kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME.  It's a resource drain. 

Many people have either become so helpless that they turn to the government for everything OR they adopt the "Dammit, I pay taxes so I'll just make a phone call" attitude.

A small cat at the end of your driveway?  Sorry, I would never have called somebody for that, taxpayer or not.  Deer, sure.  A cat?

2 minutes, a shovel, and a garbage bag.  Done.

Current tax rates enrage me.  No arguments.

However, at some point it turns into a "chicken or egg" situation.

We have too many people in this country with their hand out to the government, in some form, and not enough people doing more productive things with their hands.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 3

A small cat at the end of your driveway?  Sorry, I would never have called somebody for that, taxpayer or not.  Deer, sure.  Cat?

2 minutes, a shovel, and a garbage bag.  Done.

I didn't get mad about it; I just went and did it myself.

Faster than waiting for someone to come do it anyway, and I probably did a better job.

I just went and did it myself.

Faster than waiting for someone to come do it anyway, and I probably did a better job.

That's the spirit.

Rugged Individualism applied in order to conquer those tough life obstacles...

Edited by TN-popo