Ruger MK III Opinions?

Can't speak to the Mark III but a Mark II is one of those pistols everyone should have at least one of. 

Regardless, they were all designed by Satan and are a PITA to disassemble/assemble.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 6

I will eventually have a Ruger Mk of one generation or another.  I like the 'Luger-ish' look.  At one point, I thought about trading my S&W 22A for one but (shooting the S&W side-by-side with a friend's Ruger) I came to realize that I shoot them both pretty much the same, both function just about as reliably and I didn't have to spend any more money to keep the S&W.  I still like the way the Rugers look, though, and will have one at some point.

Edited by JAB

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

I've ripped the mag disconnects out of a dozens of MKIIIs and replaced them with standard MKII bushings or this guys machined product.  I took the LCI out of several also.  I used this guy's product to fill the gap where the LCI went in mine.  I just don't like all the gunk that accumulates around the LCI.  If you replace replace the sear and trigger with VQ parts you will drop your trigger pull to a clean 2.75lbs.

This part more accurately replaces the space of the mag disconnect in MKIIIs 

http://www.tandemkro...ushing_p_9.html

LCI replacement

http://www.tandemkro...nsert_p_16.html

http://www.tandemkro...Combo_p_34.html

These are nice replacement parts also:

Volquartsen triggers (adjusts for over and pretravel)

http://www.rimfiresp...tegory_Code=VC2

MKII bushing to be used in place of the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus: 

Volquartsen sear will do amazing things for your trigger pull

• Like 2
Love my MKIII. Al it of people don't like the LCI or mag disconnect, I don't care for them personaly but don't care enough one way or another to replace them. One of these days I'll get the VQ kit and do away with the mag disconnect but for the time it takes to clean the LCI (20seconds every 5-10k rounds) ill probably not spend the time and money ditching it.

These are very accurate pistols and about as reliable as they get. Mine goes to the range every trip, even if I don't plan on shooting it I bring it because invariably (so far) if I have a round that will not ignite due to a light primer strike or whatever, I feed it to the MKIII and it fires.

I've been looking at the 22/45 a bit lately and may scoop one of those up as well it I think everyone should have a regular MK of somekind, its just one of those classic guns that no collection is complete without.

Great pistols even with the mag disconnect issue and LCI. If those issues bother you, graycrait's post above will help you resolve them. I have the 22/45 MKIII, but I also have a MKII and MKI. I'll likely never let go of any of them.  :pleased:

I love my mk III 22/45 its bone stock 5.5 " bull barrel has ate thousands of bulk rnds without a hiccup. Its my 7yr olds favorite gun to shoot. Agrred that the disassembly is a pain but very good gun for the money!
Just a quick note on the whole takedown/reassembly thing.

Lets be honest, how many other pistols have manuals that recommend the use of a mallet or hammer just to disassemble? And not just to help tap out a few pins either. Yes, it is a PITA comparatively speaking. I can field strip down a Berreta Cougar in about 5 seconds tops, my M&P in less than 10. It takes a few minutes to strip the MKIII.

Having said that the great thing about the MK is that it doesn't need real cleaning for many thousands of rounds. My quick clean is a wet patch followed by two dry patches through the bore and a q-tip wet with solvent(balistol) rubbed around in the chamber and bolt face. That's it, and I do this every 1,000 rounds or so. I'm actually going through a phase right now where I'm not cleaning it at all. Of course like most I haven't been shooting much lately so doubt I e had much more than 1k through it with no cleaning.
  • Like 1

I have a MkIII that has a MkII bushing and the VQ trigger / hammer / sear.  If I can ever shoot to the level it's capable, watch out world...Also, the Marks are known for their ability to handle cheap bulk ammo, e.g. the dreaded Rem Golden Bullet, much better than many other semiautos.  There's no need to run CCI minimags at all.

I am not a slow fire 50M bullseye shooter, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express and know several, "Hey!" not in the "Biblical way."  A young friend of mine, while at the Trinidad gun smith school, had the opportunity to shoot a recrowned and tuned trigger MKIII against a HS Super Matic Citation and a S&W 41 with 4 other shooters.  The consensus was that the MKIII could hang with these two acknowledged successful US made target pistols if it had a good trigger. The MKIII was recrowned as some hapless owner had dropped it barrel first onto the sidewalk.    

I realise that the Ruger MK series is not a "free" pistol, or can keep up with FWB, Pardini, Benelli or Hammerlis.  But in most of our hands, properly triggered and with the right sight/optic, the MK series, for 99% of us can't keep up with the Ruger MK series in terms of mechanical accuracy.

The stock trigger/sear has to go though INMHO.

Buy one. You will not be disappointed. Mine will eat anything and it's definitely more accurate than I am.

Raoul pretty much summed it up. I've had 4 or 5 MkII and III pistols at different times. Will get one in a trade or buy one somewhere if I run into a great price. Will have to say the 22/45 is my personal favorite, but won't turn down any of them.

I think I have 3 now plus the SR22, but you really just can't go wrong with a Ruger.

I gave a 22/45 to my 12 year old niece last Christmas...I had it brand new and an SR22; I decided to keep the SR22 and give her the 22/45.

I sort of wish I had kept the 22/45. :)

I warned my broher-in-law to NOT disassemble the 22/45...he did anyway...he later apologized for doubting me! ;)

I gave a 22/45 to my 12 year old niece last Christmas...I had it brand new and an SR22; I decided to keep the SR22 and give her the 22/45.

I sort of wish I had kept the 22/45. :)

I warned my broher-in-law to NOT disassemble the 22/45...he did anyway...he later apologized for doubting me! ;)

Great advice. He should have listened to you.

Love my MKIII. Thinking about adding one of the new 22/45 Lites to the stable

Might want to ping Dolomite_Supafly first...he's done some digging on the Aluminum upper-receivered Rugers.  I know he found durability issues (service life was short compared to stock Ruger steel receivers) with the Pac-Lite uppers, but can't recall if the 22/45 Lite had the same faults.  IIRC, it has to do with how and where the steel barrel / chamber liner is placed and how much steel is present.  It sounded like the steel bolt face would peen the Pac-Lite Al receiver over time, reducing its life cycle to around 10k rounds.  He could explain it better than I.