Best Custom 1911

Guest Commander Kim

Guest Commander Kim

Say you can have any 1911 you want made by any company, and you don't have to take out your wallet, your check book, your bank card, whatever you have.

Which one would you have and who is it made by.

GO!

Ed brown Special Forces with light rail and 25lpi checkering on front and backstrap instead of whatever grip texturing is standard on that model. And g10 grips

Or

Ed brown executive elite with genuine elephant ivory grips

Or i could just keep going, sooo many.

I’m not big on paying for someone’s name of the side of a production gun. So if I wanted a true custom 1911 I would go to one of the custom builders here in the state, sit down with them, discuss what I wanted and have them build me a custom.

I have not researched this because I haven’t wanted one, but I think G&L (or one of the gun shops) has a custom 1911 builder with a good reputation.

I would also want to see how one of their guns performed against my out of the box S&W SW1911 or a Kimber so I could see if it’s worth two or three times (or more) the money.

In my mind, the finest 1911 'smith out there is Richard Heinie.  I had two of his custom .45's that fired thousands of rounds each without one single malfunction....ever.  That was with all types of bullets using all kinds of magazines, including $2 military surplus ones.  Accuracy was outstanding.  Sadly, he no longer takes orders for new guns, but if those Richard Heinie Signature guns sold by Nighthawk are only half as good as the ones I had, then the Nighthawk would be my choice.

• Like 1

For me, I will be buying another Nighthawk Custom; probably a Talon just like the one I just traded away a few weeks ago - once you get into that level of 1911s it's almost impossible to say one it truly better than the other but I guess I'd give my nod to Nighthawk Custom

I had an Ed Brown Executive Targer; sold it...don't really miss it. Not saying it wasn't a great 1911 but I wasn't all that impressed with it.

I have a Wilson Combat CQB and it's a phenominal 1911; same with my Les Bare Thunder Ranch (which has the most incredibly light and smooth trigger I've ever had on any weapon)

There are good reasons for buying a 1911 with a particular name on the side but it's not really the name...these firearms are pieces of mechanical art built by some of the best gunsmiths, not just in the area but in the country plus you have a major company behind you when you need it.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

For me, I will be buying another Nighthawk Custom; probably a Talon just like the one I just traded away a few weeks ago - once you get into that level of 1911s it's almost impossible to say one it truly better than the other but I guess I'd give my nod to Nighthawk Custom

I had an Ed Brown Executive Targer; sold it...don't really miss it. Not saying it wasn't a great 1911 but I wasn't all that impressed with it.

I have a Wilson Combat CQB and it's a phenominal 1911; same with my Les Bare Thunder Ranch (which has the most incredibly light and smooth trigger I've ever had on any weapon)

There are good reasons for buying a 1911 with a particular name on the side but it's not really the name...these firearms are pieces of mechanical art built by some of the best gunsmiths, not just in the area but in the country plus you have a major company behind you when you need it.

The above post is right on the money. I to have a Nighthawk GRP Custom I had made in early 2011 and has run flawless for 6500rnds. I sent this one off to a Alchemy Custom Weapons in Genso IL. for some personal attention upon receiving it they did tell me that the tip of the ejector was broke off and he would call Nighthawk and get them to send him one,the other 1911's I own are a Les Baer UTC that has run 2800rnds. with out a problem I also have a Thunder Ranch Special on order w/ some custom extras I wanted. My Wilson Combat CQB ELITE w/all bullet proof parts will be here this month(praying)can't wait to see how it runs. I bought a Ed Brown SPEDIAL FORCES from a member here and after 500rnds. of mixed ammo, my hand loads,factory hardball,and some +P's with out a problem it is now my daily carry gun until my GRP gets' done and back home.I personally will only buy from the above manufactures and my next will be a Nighthawk Predator in 45 or 10mm. 

Edited by tjc357
Money no object...Vickers, Heinie, or Jardine built 1911.

Otherwise, Wilson, Baer, etc.

Nighthawk puts out great 1911s, no doubt. But, I've run into too many of them that needed to go back to the factory to get something fixed/corrected. Edited by TN-popo

I'll take it one step further with the Cabot Guns Mirror Image Pistol Set. Don't know what I would do with matching left and right hand 1911s but it would be awesome!

Dual wield sir.... That's the only thing you can do.

Ted Yost

I lusted hard, and I mean HARD, over this Ted Yost Commander in 38 Super.  When it went to auction in 2011 I jumped into the bidding war over it (91 bids).  It was as close as I ever got to having a gambling addiction.  Once the price went pass the $4000, I knew that the Delightful and Wonderful Mrs. Kari (She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) would lose all pretense of tolerance over my accumulation of 1911s.  I dropped out of the auction.

It went for $4820.

t5hy6x.jpg

Many will say it that was well bought at that price.

rr1n3k.jpg

I wake up at night still thinking that it could have been mine.

Maybe I need mental therapy to overcome this crushing sense of lost.......

• Like 1

My Baer Premiere II with the 1.5 option enhanced my shooting so much the Wilsons, Colts, Kimbers and Springfields went to the market with no regrets. The Baer has the sharpest front strap I have ever felt for sticking my grip.  Three thousand rounds and it is just breaking in.  Some may cost more and there's plenty out there with a better finish but the Les Baer 1911s would still be my first choice.  No doubt.

My Baer Premiere II with the 1.5 option enhanced my shooting so much the Wilsons, Colts, Kimbers and Springfields went to the market with no regrets. The Baer has the sharpest front strap I have ever felt for sticking my grip.  Three thousand rounds and it is just breaking in.  Some may cost more and there's plenty out there with a better finish but the Les Baer 1911s would still be my first choice.  No doubt.

Les Baer 1911's are incredible, I will be picking up my 1.5 SRP tommorrow evening
  • Like 1
Guest Skyline034

I'm still in love with my Hero Guns 1911 built by Jeff Meister. It's the only custom 1911 I've kept and haven't traded off. All the semi-custom big names are great and I've owned several, plus they really hold their resell value. I just enjoy the idea of having a pistol built right here in Tennessee. They have amazing customer service at Hero as well, although I personally haven't gotten to experience it since nothing has happened to my HG1911 yet after 6,000 rounds. She is a hungry girl and will eat anything in the .45 flavor. Posted ImagePosted Image