Is the craziness slowing down?

SmokyBaer

For years and years, i've been an M1A/M14 fan who dabbles with an AR here and there.  Was just starting a new 458 SOCOM project last year about the time prices and availablility went nuts.  As we have all seen, ammo is starting to come back slowly and when i saw this ad for a forged 5.56 with Magpul furniture for less than 800, i knew all the gougers were cringing that their party may be over.  So is the craziness slowing down or is there something i am missing in the PSA deal?

It's not just the online stores. The LGSs are full of firearms, too....and for decent prices. To top that off, I've made four stops for ammo over the last ten days and I've purchased 9mm ball during three of them.

Let's hope this keeps up and we can enjoy a better post-Christmas gun sale in January.

Yep, seems things are easing up.

My local Wally World is loaded with MSR's and a trickle of popular ammunition calibers. I'm finally back to pre-craziness stocks and learned my lesson. I'm slowly going to triple my inventory as ammunition eases more.

Just bought two of the three boxes of .45 auto they had at Wally World today when we were grocery shopping. It's like being hooked on crack when we go to the local Walmart, I "always" have to check out the sporting goods ammo counter just as soon as I walk through the door?

One crisis away from a complete meltdown. Never forget that.

In the gun world that can't be more true.  From an ammunition standpoint I don't think very many appreciate just how few domestic manufacturers there are (and who owns them).  What would happen if a fire or some other disaster struck the Federal plant?  What if the importation of ammunition was banned?  What about future taxation?

Our "hobby" is built on a house of cards.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I know what you mean on checking every Wal-Mart.  You have to cause if you don't, the first thing you read is how big the delivery was while you was at the store!  The only Wally World i have not seen ammo is the one in Franklin.  There must be something going on there.  Everywhere else seems to get a trickle here and there.

I've been able to get a few thousand rounds of ammo (380, 9mm, 40, 45, 223) in the last week, but none was available at a walmart.

Yea me too, but not buying a heck of a lot at one time. My local FFL dealer for some reason has .45, 9mm and 5.56 / .223 in stock for the last couple of months. It's about 25% higher than Wally World and I like to support my local dealer because of obvious reasons.

I've also noticed some of the major outlets like Cabela's is getting flooded with ammunition, for a price of course.

In the gun world that can't be more true.  From an ammunition standpoint I don't think very many appreciate just how few domestic manufacturers there are (and who owns them).  What would happen if a fire or some other disaster struck the Federal plant?  What if the importation of ammunition was banned?  What about future taxation?

Our "hobby" is built on a house of cards.

And almost none of our powder is domestic, anymore.

The only Wally World i have not seen ammo is the one in Franklin. There must be something going on there. Everywhere else seems to get a trickle here and there.

Dumb luck there tonight. Got there right as the guy was restocking. He said it would be gone in the next 30 minutes. 3 boxes of Federal 9mm for me. He was restocking 9, 40, and some Tula 223. They had enough .45 and .22 if anyone needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Really? Why is that?

Most of is made in other countries and branded over here. Been like that for years. Sad to hear, isn't it?

Edited by 6.8 AR

Sad. And scary. It would just take another executive order to put us hand loaders out of business.

I don't doubt they haven't considered it.

But powder and primers are still available...relatively so....at reasonable pricing. (like from our own dlm).

And the components store well for a mighty long time. I'm still using some IMR 3031 I purchased in 1991. And some Remington primers from the same time.

Purchasing powder in 4-8 pound containers will also save you some money.

I have a shooting Bud that hasn't started reloading yet...but that has already put back a very decent supply of components at pre-Newton pricing. He's planning ahead.It's doable.

As has been said many times by many folks..."Buy it cheap, and Stack it deep"...in a few years we may come to realize just how "cheap" components are nowadays.

:2cents:

Edited by prag

Sad. And scary. It would just take another executive order to put us hand loaders out of business.

Nah, for the antis and the political types that is thinking too small when it comes to trampling on liberty.

If I were on the 'evil' side of things, I wouldn't ban powder - just regulate and tax the heck out of it.  Also might consider requiring a special 'license' to purchase smokeless powder - and (such as is the case with CCR licenses if I understand things correctly) make it a condition of getting such a license that the holder will allow authorities to 'inspect' their 'storage facilities' (i.e. search their house) immediately on demand at any time, no warrant needed.

I think that Obama et. al. know full well that people who handload are not likely to be criminals, etc.  However, handloading is one indication that the person is a serious gun owner and, by extension, serious about Second Amendment rights (not that non-handloaders aren't, just that doing so is one, possible indicator.)  There wouldn't be any, real 'win' to banning powder but getting law abiding Second Amendment advocates to voluntarily sign away their protections against unreasonable search and seizure (giving government authorities a 'license to harass') would be a 'win' for them.

Edited by JAB

Exactly JAB. What you are saying isn't too much of a stretch imho.

And that is exactly the reason I want to have several years worth of components on hand.

Heck...If I don't shoot it all up, then my Son and Grand Kids will still have the opportunity.

The powers that be have very well demonstrated they'll devour of God Given Constitutionally Protected Rights one bite at a time...Insidious soulless bunch that they are.

Yep, seems things are easing up.

My local Wally World is loaded with MSR's and a trickle of popular ammunition calibers. I'm finally back to pre-craziness stocks and learned my lesson. I'm slowly going to triple my inventory as ammunition eases more.

Just bought two of the three boxes of .45 auto they had at Wally World today when we were grocery shopping. It's like being hooked on crack when we go to the local Walmart, I "always" have to check out the sporting goods ammo counter just as soon as I walk through the door?

You need to check it just before going to the checkout *as well* just in case.

of course the importations of garands have been banned ....CURSE YOU OBAMA  :rant:  :censored:  :wall:

At least,as of now, the CMP's program hasn't been tampered with. Their source of M1 Garands are those returned by borrower countries to the Army. They still have crates and crates of unopened, ungraded M1s. Enough to project a supply for a few short years at least from what I've read.