Who would have thought yard work was fun?

mav

Most of my adult life was spent living in an apartment, so I never had a need for any outdoor power equipment, and I have never used any outside of a push mower and trimmer.  I now have a house with a few wooded acres, so I needed everything. Now that I have acquired all my new toys, I have been itching to do yard work this week. 

I started the week on my new tractor.  Compared to what I was doing with a push mower, the tractor was a godsend.  Using the backpack blower to clean off my driveway and patio was pretty neat.  I even put it on the back of my 78 year old mother, and she was having fun with it.  It was much more fun than using a broom. 

Next was trimming the hedges.  I have 12 fairly sizeable hedges (boxwoods, hollies, etc...) in the front of my house, and it was a breeze trimming them with the hedge trimmer.  The results were awesome (perfectly level).

This evening's job was pruning-off dead branches with my pole saw and chainsaw.  Pruning with the pole saw was fun, but the Stihl pole saw I have is a little heavy and hard to balance it right when it is extended out to 15 feet.  I was having so much fun with my chainsaw, I wanted to cut everything.  In the end, I was left with a rather large brush pile. 

My mom started carrying off the branches to a cleared area where I would run them through my wood chipper.  I told her to stop, and said there was an easier way.  A few minutes later I came out with my tractor with the attached dump cart.  I had a blast just hauling off the brush pile, especially when it got dark and I got to use the lights on my tractor.

I know I must sound like a nut, but all of the outdoor power equipment is brand new to me, and I am having fun learning how to use all of it.  No, the fun I am having does not translate into me coming over to do yard work for you.  :)

Edited by mav
I grew up in Miami, FL and had to mow our relatively large (for Miami... about .80 acre) yard every week, and sometimes twice a week in the summer. I hated it. We had a nice John Deere riding mower and everything... still hated it.

I told myself when I left home I'd never mow again, and I haven't. :-) I'm perfectly happy to pay a friend to do it every other week for a few months a year!

I'm glad there are people that enjoy doing yard work... it allows me to NOT do yard work!! :-D
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
I hate yardwork. I do only as much as is absolutely necessary. Once we transition to buying a house I will be getting rid of the normal lawn grasses and installing landscaping like what is common in the southwest. Low maintenance with low water needs and zero need for a lawnmower.

Nothing like a morning after breakfast, breaking out the Shindaiwa, and bringing havoc to the weeds! I tell ya though, on the yards that had funky ditches, I loved the challenge of "feathering" (my term) it to make the lines flow like the grass was form fitted to the curves and dips.....I know, I'm sick, but I love it.

Guest Lester Weevils

I grew up in Miami, FL and had to mow our relatively large (for Miami... about .80 acre) yard every week, and sometimes twice a week in the summer. I hated it. We had a nice John Deere riding mower and everything... still hated it.

As a teen in S. GA, I swear you could stare at the grass for a few minutes and actually see it growing. Had to cut an acre or so with a push mower, and if you waited more than a week between mowings practically needed a bushhog to get thru it. That deal where you lift up the mower, advance it a foot, and set it down to chew out a footprint of tall grass, then lift and advance another foot, rinse and repeat.

• Moderators

As a teen in S. GA, I swear you could stare at the grass for a few minutes and actually see it growing. Had to cut an acre or so with a push mower, and if you waited more than a week between mowings practically needed a bushhog to get thru it. That deal where you lift up the mower, advance it a foot, and set it down to chew out a footprint of tall grass, then lift and advance another foot, rinse and repeat.

You forgot the part where it dies every other chew and you have to start it again.
  • Like 1

I mowed 5 acres the other day with a 48 inch walk behind.  It only took 6.5 hours and my pedometer said I walked over 9 miles.  I am my fathers son, he loved yard work, farm work or anything that had to do with being outside working.  It's certainly not work when it's by choice and not by force. 

• Like 2

Pre-marriage I would have spent time riding motorcycles or fishing.  Post-marriage I just cut the grass.  The lawn mower is loud and slow so I just pretend that I'm riding a Harley.  Just gotta get some chrome for it.  Plus it's kosher to drink beer while I mow. 

• Like 1

Pre-marriage I would have spent time riding motorcycles or fishing.  Post-marriage I just cut the grass.  The lawn mower is loud and slow so I just pretend that I'm riding a Harley.  Just gotta get some chrome for it.  Plus it's kosher to drink beer while I mow.

YES , thank god for cup holders on zero turns !
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Pre-marriage I would have spent time riding motorcycles or fishing. Post-marriage I just cut the grass. The lawn mower is loud and slow so I just pretend that I'm riding a Harley. Just gotta get some chrome for it. Plus it's kosher to drink beer while I mow.

Not according to that cop who arrested George Jones for DUI that time. :lol:

Not according to that cop who arrested George Jones for DUI that time. :lol:

Don't believe Mr Jones was cutting grass though. :)

I don't care for lawn work. Can't afford to hire it done though, so I do it. Last quote I got wanted $250/ week to mow and trim. I have a difficult yard, sure. I can do it myself in about two hours though. No way I'm paying that kind of money for someone else to do it.
  • Like 1

Baaah. Yard work is what what young guys like me are for. May not be fun exactly, but it's gotta be done. Plus, gotta get exercise somehow or another! I'm too young to put off my work on other folks.