Bike Trip - 2000 miles in less than 48 hours

Good_Steward

Here's the story: I am the plant manager for 2 manufacturing plants in Chattanooga. My plants are part of a larger organization. The company scheduled an "Operations Meeting" around the Pack Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada, which starts Monday. My boss, the VP of Ops, and the Corporate Director of Technology are both officed in Chattanooga, and both ride bikes, as well. I mentioned off-hand to my boss a few weeks ago that we should ride out. To make a long story short, we are leaving in the morning at 4am for an "Iron Butt" ride to Las Vegas starting in Chattanooga. We have plotted this out at a little over 2k miles, and have plotted the layout to arrive in Vegas at approximately 12am EST Monday Morning / 9pm Vegas time, effectively making this ride in 45 hours.

Wish me luck!

• Like 2

Good luck!  I considered doing an iron butt earlier this year, after doing some research I found that to have your ride certified by IBA you have to pay a fee, I didn't see the point.  It's about bragging rights, and I'm not going to pay.  What kind of bike will you be riding?

Good luck!  I considered doing an iron butt earlier this year, after doing some research I found that to have your ride certified by IBA you have to pay a fee, I didn't see the point.  It's about bragging rights, and I'm not going to pay.  What kind of bike will you be riding?

I am riding a 2012 Victory Vegas. The other two are riding on an ElectriGlide and a RoadGlide, respectively. 

Should be a lot of fun, even if we hit rain (very possible between Murfreesboro / Nashville and Memphis)

Guest TankerHC

IronButt x 2.

Been considering the Trail of Tears ride, the way I feel Id be flying back somewhere between here and OK. Man I know that Vegas ride is going to be fun. 

I'm so FREAK'N jealous.....y'all ain't hiring between now and in the morning are ya's..?????

Have fun and RIDE SAFE and don't forget to hydrate yer arses!!! Dehydration makes the mind do weird things. I have a camelbak I always take with me and filler up at every fuel stop!!!!!

For just a spit second I thought you meant Bicycles, talk about bragging rights.....

When I read the thread title, that is what I was thinking, and I was about to call BS.  2000 miles / 45 hours = 44.44 mph.  I know some fast cyclists, but that would be unheard of.

Anyway, sounds like a neat trip.  Hope you have a safe ride.

In spite of what some people may think, Good Luck!

I've ridden mult. Iron Butt type rides and have finished the Iron Butt Rally.

People who think it's dangerous or irresponsible are usually the same people who are incapable of such an accomplishment.

Enjoy the ride and be safe.

Jeff

• Like 1

Sorry to be so blunt...

No. I could never do this. I've own a bike now and I've biked for 40 years. I'm sorry that my concern can't be shown as clearly in my comments as my astonishment that someone would attempt to ride 2,000 miles in 45 hours AND that others on this forum (who are so adamant about gun safety) would be so cavalier about motor vehicle safety.

Bikes aren't as forgiving as cars. We all know that. A moment's inattention while sleep-deprived and drowsy could result in a serious or even fatal accident on a motorcycle. With three guys, no one wants to be the weak link, so the tendency will be to push on instead of stopping for a rest.  Starting at 4am means they'll be sleep deprived before the first mile.

My neighbor's nephew got up really early to finish packing and headed out from Knoxville to St. Louis... an easy drive you'd think. He nodded off to sleep just past Clarksville about noon and flipped three times. His fiancee is now brain damaged... and he will have to live with that.

So, yes, riding 2,000 miles in 45 hours is incredibly stupid and irresponsible, at least to me... but that's just my opinion. That said, please stay safe. Read this on your trip and stop when you need rest. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about your safety and hoping you make it through this.

No one will think badly of you if you take four days to make this trip instead of 45 hours.