Window shopping for O/U shotgun- any suggestions?

CQB Elite

I'm looking for an O/U shotgun to add to my firearm collection. I'll be using it to hunt dove & quail, shoot some trap/skeet, and might even take it to the duck blind. I don't want an uber-expensive Italian job with adjustible stock/comb/etc. I would like for it to look somewhat refined, have 3" chambers and single trigger. I'm undecided if I want to spend extra for one with ejectors instead of extractors.

I've been looking at CZ and Mossberg among others & would like to stay as close to $500 as possible.

Any suggestions or experiences you'd like to share?

There are many good O/U shotguns out there in just about every price-point imaginable; from a few hundred to tens of thousands of $$$ so it really depends on what you want to spend and what you want to use it for.  It's kind of difficult to have "one" shotgun that can do it all or at least, do it all really well...even using one for both skeet and trap is not ideal as the needs of the two types of shooting are different.

I would suggest that you decide on what your primary use for it will be and then concentrate on getting a shotgun that will do that thing really well - you'll still be able to use it for other things; it will just mean that you'll  be giving up some capability when it comes to other types of shooting!

I have a Remington SPR 310 OU in 20 gauge and like it very much. This is a gun built by Baikal in Russia, and I feel it has good eye appeal. Also, there is a selection of extractors or ejectors, simply by turning the position of the screws on each barrel. It shoots 3" magnum shells. It's not a current production gun, but my guess is that there's probably one out there in the gauge that fits your needs.

There are many good O/U shotguns out there in just about every price-point imaginable; from a few hundred to tens of thousands of $$$ so it really depends on what you want to spend and what you want to use it for. It's kind of difficult to have "one" shotgun that can do it all or at least, do it all really well...even using one for both skeet and trap is not ideal as the needs of the two types of shooting are different.

I would suggest that you decide on what your primary use for it will be and then concentrate on getting a shotgun that will do that thing really well - you'll still be able to use it for other things; it will just mean that you'll be giving up some capability when it comes to other types of shooting!

Thanks Robert! Like I said in my OP, primary use for the gun will be quail & dove. Might even take it to the duck blind from time to time. I'd say that 95% of the time it will be for hunting birds of some sort.

A friend of mine owns a shooting sports facility back in our hometown down in Florida (www.hardlaborskeet.com). He is set up for clays, skeet, and is adding five-stand as well. I'd like to have a gun that I can go out and shoot some with him when I'm home visiting.

Budget is $700ish or less. Edited by CQB Elite

I'm probably going to hurt some feelings here, but I'm going to be honest with you. With a $500-700 budget, you'd be much more pleased with a pump.

It just takes more labor than that price would allow to properly put together a shotgun with two barrels.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
I've owned pumps, semi-autos, single shot, and bolt action shotguns. The only hunting I did growing up was quail with my grandpa's double barrel 12 ga. I'm not interested in a pump and I'm not interested in owning an o/u that's well put together. I want one that I wouldn't cry if it fell over board.

I know that Brownings are not in your price range, but tid bit of a story.  6-7 Years ago, I got into sporting clays.  Started off with a Remington 1100 that I soon realized that I was at a disadvantage with the chokes.  So I purchased a Browning 525 Citori.  My brother at about the same time bought a Ruger Red Label.  My gun has had over 10,000 rounds, and is as tight today as it was when new.  My brother's Red Label, not as many rounds as mine, but probably greater than 1,000 rounds, is not as tight as new, and loose in the receiver area, however still a good gun, but one would say broken in well.  Don't know if that matters to you. 

• Like 1

I have a Remington SPR 310 OU in 20 gauge and like it very much. This is a gun built by Baikal in Russia, and I feel it has good eye appeal. Also, there is a selection of extractors or ejectors, simply by turning the position of the screws on each barrel. It shoots 3" magnum shells. It's not a current production gun, but my guess is that there's probably one out there in the gauge that fits your needs.

This in a 12ga.  Best O/U for the money.  Built like a tank.  I've hunted snipe to turkey, waterfowl, and you can shoot skeet and trap as well.  Like Robert said, everything is somewhat a compromise, but this one will work.  The hard part will be finding one.  FWIW, every Ruger Red Label I have shot kicks like a mule.

Edited by chances R

This in a 12ga.  Best O/U for the money.  Built like a tank.  I've hunted snipe to turkey, waterfowl, and you can shoot skeet and trap as well.  Like Robert said, everything is somewhat a compromise, but this one will work.  The hard part will be finding one.  FWIW, every Ruger Red Label I have shot kicks like a mule.

+1. A great shotgun.

Swung a Baikal and it felt clubbish to me so I went with a Stoeger Condor  extractors and no select on barrels so pretty basic and utilitarian a higher model comes with barrel selection and ejectors I believe  bought this one a few years back on sale at BassPro for $350-

they offer a 2 barrel set  12 and 20 for around $550- with just a 12 for $400-

http://www.basspro.com/Stoeger-reg-Condor-Field-Over-Under-Shotgun-Combo/product/10218077/

the Squirrels, Ducks and Geese hate it and my shoulder likes it may even try a round of sporting clays with it someday.

I did change out the chokes for a pair of Carlson extended though  and am actually considering sling studs and a mid bead at some point

I would look for a used Verona 5xx series.  They made several versions of the same basic gun for different retailers.  They were labeled 501, 502, etc.

They are a nice looking and carrying o/u.  I used to have one that I used for quail and skeet.  Wish I had not sold it.

I've been casually looking at o/u shotguns lately for the same reasons--shoot a little skeet/trap, and go dove/quail/pheasant and MAYBE even duck hunting.  After talking with a few serious shooters and a coach for a local high school trap team, I am hesitant to buy a $600 o/u.  They just don't seem to hold up.  Granted, we are talking about a lot of rounds, but I want something that will last, and the Mossberg, Savage/Stevens, and Stoeger o/u guns often have issues, sometimes quickly.  I've just about decided that IF I do get one, it will be either a Franchi Instinct or the reintroduced Winchester 101 (actually a Belgian made FN).  They are both field-grade guns and are in the $1000-1200 range, depending on the flavor.  Having said that, I have recently put a few rounds through a friend's new $400 Tri-Star and am impressed.  I just worry about the durability/reliability. 

Edited by deerslayer
Thanks deerslayer! Since opening this thread I've began to think along the same lines as you. Guess I'll save up some $ and increase my budget. The problem I have run in to talking with people about this is- if you are looking for a $700 O/U they all say you need to spend a little more to get a quality gun. Once you get to $1,200 they say spend more to get a quality gun. What is the sweet spot dollar wise to get a decent gun?

I ain't gonna spend $3,000 on a shotgun when I can add another Wilson Combat to my safe.....

Thanks deerslayer! Since opening this thread I've began to think along the same lines as you. Guess I'll save up some $ and increase my budget. The problem I have run in to talking with people about this is- if you are looking for a $700 O/U they all say you need to spend a little more to get a quality gun. Once you get to $1,200 they say spend more to get a quality gun. What is the sweet spot dollar wise to get a decent gun?

I ain't gonna spend $3,000 on a shotgun when I can add another Wilson Combat to my safe.....

You'll be glad you did. A quality over and under is more of an investment than a purchase. Don't overlook the used market. You just might find a deal there if you are patient.

• Like 1

To add to what Greg posted above; the whole idea of an quality o/u shotgun is to invest in a shotgun that does not need replacement due to structural problems -- ever, period... Ya may need to replace stuff like springs and screws; but the shotgun stock, receiver, and barrel stays the never needs replacement --- ever... The whole idea is that the shotgun outlives you and is passed to your kids and grandkids; a novel idea in our current "throw away culture"...Ya find a shotgun ya like and shoot it the rest of your life...

When i started shotgun shootin in earnest in the mid seventies; the Browning Belgum (...FN built, i think...) Broadway Traps were nearing their first round of use from their original owners...Most of them bought in the late 40's and early 50's... They had been shot continuously for 25 to 30 years...

I've seen them handled and shot so much that they took on the old time shiny gray patina that shows that most all the bluing is worn off the barrels; yet they locked up like a bank vault and shot like a dream...   Many of these old shotguns had multiple thousands of rounds thru them with no detrimental effect other than the blue wore off the barrels and the varnish got thin on the stock and fore ends...

Many of these old guns shot 500 or so rounds a week thru them for years on end... In short, they never wore out... They might break a spring or something minor; but a $5 replacement kept them shooting... I worked with an old buddy that wuz an avid bird hunter... He hunted with a Browning Diana Grade 20 gage... He had used it so much it had been back to Browning once for a factory re-blue... 

The lesson in this little ramble is this; the idea of the mid to higher end o/u market is to buy a shotgun that will never wear out...

Ya cant go wrong with a browning or one of it's lesser children (...citori...), skb, winchester 101, or any of the Berettas or other european makes... There is a reason why they cost a bit more... The reason is what ive tried to state above...

This will make lots of people mad here; but i firmly believe it.... If ya want a shotgun that will outlast you, shoot flawlessly, and will do the job day in day out regardless of the job at hand; buy a quality japanese or european o/u... If ya want a so so "throw away" shotgun; buy a semiauto or a pump... 

Remember, all this is bein written by a guy who loves (...and collects...) Browning A5's, Winchester model 97's, Winchester model 12's, and Ithaca model 37's... They are the "best of the best"... They just aint as good as a good o/u for everyday heavy duty shooting...

leroy

I agree to a point with Leroy......like most things, it depends. You won't go wrong with a relatively high-end O/U. The Browning 325,425 series and up to the new 725 series are very good. As are the Berettas. Don't get caught up in the European high end thinking you are getting a better product necessarily. My dream gun is the Perazzi, but I would hate to part with my European cut Browning 425.

But, I have worn out the locking bolts in a couple of Brownings. Other guns will have some problems too, but only after 100,000 rounds and up. FWIW, I have completely worn out an 1100, as well as a Benelli. Nothing lasts forever, YMMV.
Everything man made will eventually wear out and I agree there is nothing like a well put together firearm. When I win the Powerball I will certainly own the finest of finest. I started this thread with the intention of finding a fun to shoot O/U that did not require a lot of investment capital, sort of like the bolt action .410 that my mom got from True Value when I was a kid. It wasn't pretty but it put down a ton of squirrels.....
Not to trash the tread but the only O/U I have is a Beretta Onyx , it is great ! There is one for sale in the classifieds , I think they were asking $850 , I would take a look at it , quality gun. The only reason I only have one O/U is I like that 3rd shot, dropping 3 in a row is legal. :)