Shutdown Good for ObamaCare So Far

One of the libs on MSNBC had a good point last night:

The GOP's efforts to trash the ACA, which went nowhere, did lead to the shutdown. Then the shutdown has been all the news, which has totally put just how bad the roll out of ACA has been on the back pages.

So ironically, the GOP has aided the ObamaCare PR machine by deflecting most of the bad press which would have hammered home just what how inept its initial implementation has been, and giving the admin time to quietly scramble to patch it up by the time the government reopens.  "After all, what do you expect when the government is shut down, things to run well?" -- that kind of spin.

And of course now with the drastic turn in some of the polling,  the GOP is desperately trying to deal, on ever changing and murky concessions, with no real lever.

My take when the dust settles: damn good thing the Republican gerrymandering machine has been so effective, or this would cost us the House in '14. But we've lost significant ground nationally -- Hildebeeste now about 5:1.

- OS

• Like 3

Which drastic turn in the polls, Mac? Obama was himself at 37%, yesterday. The polls about Obamacare have been

fairly consistent with a majority wanting it gone, unless I missed some MSNBC poll.

Now, Boehner is looking hard to try to find a way out of dumping Obamacare, but his fodder will be delivered by the MSM.

They always do. I doubt there is any hard evidence the people want to go for their loving Obamacare. Polls are polls,

though. Live by them and die by them.

Well shooter i have spoke with about 20 people about the ACA sign ups of which 3 or them are professional Computer Programers and they have told me that it is going to take a minimum of 10 months for them to get even close to getting the networks to sign up for the program to any kind of workable solutions. They said that the programs are so complicated and are stretched out over so many different programs that even 10 months is iffy at best. They have spent over 650 million dollars on the programs and are not even remotely close to having a working network. I think that by just what people are going through trying to sign up for it and getting so frustrated with it that by the time they do get a working program folks for the most part are have already given up on even trying to sign up for it. Very possibly the ACA will implode on itself without help from GOP..........jmho

• Like 1

No matter what they did the Republicans would and are being blamed for everything. When they quite worrying about being everybody's buddy (including the Dems and Obama) and start actually living by the principals they claim, they will win and the polls will still show them loosing. :shake:  Polls are propaganda of the media and we all know their agenda is never to back a republican, especially a conservative.

I mean come on, they are still blaming Bush for stuff.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 3

No matter what they did the Republicans would and are being blamed for everything. When they quite worrying about being everybody's buddy (including the Dems and Obama) and start actually living by the principals they claim, they will win and the polls will still show them loosing. :shake:  Polls are propaganda of the media and we all know their agenda is never to back a republican, especially a conservative.

I mean come on, they are still blaming Bush for stuff.

I still blame Bush for Obama.
  • Like 4

Which drastic turn in the polls, Mac?

NBC/Wall Street Journal one that came out yesterday shows GOP worse off than ever in history of polling. I expect more non conservative specific ones to echo it, and most of course already show the GOP worse off than either BHO or the Dems.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

Yeah, like Cruz, you can scoff at it,

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/11/20924466-cruz-scoffs-at-nbcwsj-poll-thats-not-reflective-of-where-this-country-is?lite

but that's not what's getting hammered home on media, everywhere but FOX of course.

Keep your eye on further polling, and of course, always the source -- yes, we know well about NBC but on the other hand, don't see that the WSJ has much motive to lean one way or the other.

Main point is, though, that this whole GOP effort, as I have maintained, has simply not been worth the buy in for what's possible to win. They thought up their on sucker bets.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I blame the GOP (alienating their base) for Obama.

Edit: Has anyone here ever been called for a national political poll? The usually say something along the lines of "poll sample of 1000." Is that 1000 New Yorkers? Chicagoans? Los Angelinos? Edited by BrasilNuts

I'll scoff at it, too. I just don't care that much for polls, either way they run. when they run our way, we lose. When they

run their way, we lose. I'm just not going to get all worked up about a poll. They are too easily skewed.

Hillary ain't gonna last what's coming her way. She has too much dirt on her hands, now.

The NBC/ Wall Street journal poll had a 12 percent more dem than repub sampling. They also had a 20 percent sampling of government employees when nationally only about 8 percent of the country are gov. employees. Point is if you ask the right people you can get what ever result you want. I remember when Bush went under 40 percent it was on every news cast nightly. My message to the politicians ignore the polls just do the right thing.
Guest Bassman17SC

One of the reasons the Republicans are losing in the polls has already been stated - the pollsters use more Democrats in their demographics.

Another reason - look at the source of the poll in question: NBC.  Well, gee whiz.  The MSM has been blaming everything on the Republicans for about 20 years now, so what do you expect?

And finally, the conservatives are fed up with the spineless GOP establishment who abandon their principles because they are afraid of the GDC MSM.  When they stick to their principles, their polling numbers actually increase.  What a shock.

Edited by Bassman17SC

Betcha a quarter she's the next prez.

Actually, haven't we already bet? In that case I'll up it to .50 :)

- OS

I think you're right. I'll up it. :D

NBC/Wall Street Journal one that came out yesterday shows GOP worse off than ever in history of polling. I expect more non conservative specific ones to echo it, and most of course already show the GOP worse off than either BHO or the Dems.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

Yeah, like Cruz, you can scoff at it,

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/11/20924466-cruz-scoffs-at-nbcwsj-poll-thats-not-reflective-of-where-this-country-is?lite

but that's not what's getting hammered home on media, everywhere but FOX of course.

Keep your eye on further polling, and of course, always the source -- yes, we know well about NBC but on the other hand, don't see that the WSJ has much motive to lean one way or the other.

Main point is, though, that this whole GOP effort, as I have maintained, has simply not been worth the buy in for what's possible to win. They thought up their on sucker bets.

- OS

I know a lot of folks around here don't like to hear the word "Reagan" at all, but he took a stand to win. I think the Republican

stance, of late, is a good thing, until Boehner, Cantor and Ryan lower the progressive flag to half mast and give Obama what

he wants. They use the polls, Reagan didn't. In fact, his poll numbers were dismal until after the convention. If we build our

nest on what the media narrative says, we won't hatch anything. The Republican Party is like the ship at sea without direction,

just wandering around.

I'd go out on a limb and say if the respondents to the poll were representative of the people, which they almost never are,

they would side with Cruz's stance. He is the only person showing character and leadership inside the beltway. A huge silent

majority know that.

The popularity of something should be left behind when a politician speaks of it. They should go after some of the unpopular

stuff, like that document they seem to have forgotten. It gives all the guidance needed.

Guest ThePunisher

I know a lot of folks around here don't like to hear the word "Reagan" at all, but he took a stand to win.

You mean to tell me that there are progressive liberal democrat gun owners here!

Well, between Reid and Obama they've turned down all Republican offers.  Hope the R's have the good sense not to make any more.  O'care still sucks, the website is still unusable, the only "shutdown" effects that are inconveniencing the masses are the snit fit measures ordered by Obama...

Hey Republicans in the Senate - haven't you ever heard "Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake"?

Speaking of polls, at a recent 3 day event sponsored by the Family Research Council, Mr Cruz was their favorite in a straw poll. Hildebeast was last ( which is pretty irrelevant since mostly conservatives were there voting).

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/12/cruz-crushes-field-presidential-straw-poll-values-/

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/389117120660774912/photo/1

National polls and approval polls mean nothing to congress. It's too generic and anonymous. That's why incumbents are such strong favorites in elections. Even someone like Harry Reid in Nevada. Now, the beltway and media thinks it means something that's why we hear about it. But that's mostly to further the idea republicans are bad and stupid people by virtue. That's why republicans get destroyed when they stay looking at polls.
People who care, know what their congressmen stand for and the rest (unfortunately the vast majority) vote for the name they recognize or party affiliation. They think the polls are about other states and districts senators and reps.
It matters and has some affect to the POTUS (whoever that is at the time).