Broke rule #1

[quote name="TMF" post="1051970" timestamp="1382412070"] I didn't know there was a wrong way unless you're pointing it at someone.[/quote] I'm a AK guy and was unfamiliar with the hold button on the left side and pull charging handle maneuver on a AR platform to hold the bolt open. I asked the honest question on how to do it here to find out how to hold the bolt open and got ripped up saying I should know how to work any gun I own. Should have just Googled it but I guess I needed to learn more about the human race that day. I was still new at the AR platform and was trying to be a good gun owner and ask a safety question to more experienced owners and got beat down for not just trying to figure it out and wanting to ask. The good thing is that it taught me a lesson, I now declare to anyone I take shooting with any of my guns to ask me any thing they want to know on how to use them cause I'd rather them be safe. My number one rule out there is, there is no stupid or embarrassing questions on guns. Edited by Tobashadow
  • Like 1

I'm a AK guy and was unfamiliar with the hold button on the left side and pull charging handle maneuver on a AR platform to hold the bolt open. I asked the honest question on how to do it here to find out how to hold the bolt open and got ripped up saying I should know how to work any gun I own.

Meh, pay no attention to that. That sounds like an Arfcom thing. In fact, if this ND thread was on Arfcom it would already be ten pages of people telling the OP he has no business owning or operating a firearm ever again. Can't fault a guy for asking honest questions or owning up to an honest mistake. That's how folks learn stuff. They don't learn by keeping questions to themselves or by not acknowledging mistakes made along the way.

I've seen quite a few NDs in my day. It's a learning experience every time.
Oh trust me I learned real quick from my first and only ND about 20 years ago. It was a Lorcin 22 that I swore was completely empty and was fixing to put it away after shooting it and pointed it down at the ground and pulled the trigger to clear the firing pin from the cocked position and it put a round three inches from my foot. That was a huge learning experience for me.
Guest TankerHC

Meh, pay no attention to that. That sounds like an Arfcom thing. In fact, if this ND thread was on Arfcom it would already be ten pages of people telling the OP he has no business owning or operating a firearm ever again. Can't fault a guy for asking honest questions or owning up to an honest mistake. That's how folks learn stuff. They don't learn by keeping questions to themselves or by not acknowledging mistakes made along the way.

I've seen quite a few NDs in my day. It's a learning experience every time.

+10,000. May sound dumb but I have a lot more respect for people who own up. Everything is a teaching or learning moment. At the very least a re-enforcement. I know people who could blow their own kneecap off and would still blame the gun.

BTW, the rule in my home is all guns are loaded.  Some are.

I had a dream/nightmare someone was in my home uninvited.  In my dream I yelled to my wife to get the load gun.  She replied which one and I said they are all loaded.

Rob, perhaps you DID unload it, and the Grimlins that have been stealing (hoarding?) ammo decided to hide one in the chamber?

Nah, bud, you aren't an asshat --- asshats find someone or something else to blame.  I appreciate the reminder, as others have already noted. And while I haven't had an accidental discharge -- yet -- I've screwed up about everything else in my world at least once.  Gonna share this with my gun buddies (names with-held on both sides), because we just can't be too careful. 

I'm a AK guy and was unfamiliar with the hold button on the left side and pull charging handle maneuver on a AR platform to hold the bolt open. I asked the honest question on how to do it here to find out how to hold the bolt open and got ripped up saying I should know how to work any gun I own. [B]Should have just Googled it but I guess I needed to learn more about the human race that day.[/B] I was still new at the AR platform and was trying to be a good gun owner and ask a safety question to more experienced owners and got beat down for not just trying to figure it out and wanting to ask. The good thing is that it taught me a lesson, I now declare to anyone I take shooting with any of my guns to ask me any thing they want to know on how to use them cause I'd rather them be safe. My number one rule out there is, there is no stupid or embarrassing questions on guns.

Don't pay attention to "those kind", they get off on acting like they know everything there is to know about everything. There's a finger gester invented just for them, at least you get to know who they are.

As for the OP's ND, chauk it up to being human. Every human i've ever known is capable of making a mistake, i've made quite a few in my 50+ years.

Glad nobody was hurt. We all can use a safety reminder, thanks for posting this. The bigger man admits his mistake and learns from it and passes it on for others to learn from it as well.  I have been working with my nephew about gun safety and I will mention this to him next time we shoot.

"To make no mistakes is not in the power of man; but from their errors and mistakes the wise and good learn wisdom for the future." - Plutarch 

• Admin Team

I'm a AK guy and was unfamiliar with the hold button on the left side and pull charging handle maneuver on a AR platform to hold the bolt open. I asked the honest question on how to do it here to find out how to hold the bolt open and got ripped up saying I should know how to work any gun I own. Should have just Googled it but I guess I needed to learn more about the human race that day. I was still new at the AR platform and was trying to be a good gun owner and ask a safety question to more experienced owners and got beat down for not just trying to figure it out and wanting to ask. The good thing is that it taught me a lesson, I now declare to anyone I take shooting with any of my guns to ask me any thing they want to know on how to use them cause I'd rather them be safe. My number one rule out there is, there is no stupid or embarrassing questions on guns.

Is this the thread where the "beat down" happened?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/64774-heres-my-stupid-ar-question/

We're usually quite particular about attitude/tone towards other members, especially when they're new shooters.  Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I'd recommend you stay off Arfcom.

• Like 1
I have only had one ND. I was not familiar with FA had a jam on a sterling, pulled the bolt to eject the round and let the bolt fly. Bang. The barrel was pointed at an angle of 3 foot in front of me in the dirt. My ahole was pointed 3 foot behind me. One hole in the ground the other blew through my pants :D

I have only had one ND. I was not familiar with FA had a jam on a sterling, pulled the bolt to eject the round and let the bolt fly. Bang. The barrel was pointed at an angle of 3 foot in front of me in the dirt. My ahole was pointed 3 foot behind me. One hole in the ground the other blew through my pants :D

Yep, a common mistake on those type of machine pistols since they work from an open bolt and have the firing pin machined into the bolt. What is scary is when you see an open bolt machine gun, such as an M249, lose its trigger assembly while loaded. I've seen it happen twice. One time it was mounted and all rounds went into the berm. Another time it was in someone's hand and a bunch of people were almost killed.