Knoxville gun show negligent discharge

Guest TankerHC

Am I the only one that thinks this was a stunt pulled by some anti gunners?  That's the only ting that makes sense to me.

I have often thought this too.  How easy would it be to a load a gun while at a gun show. 

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks this was a stunt pulled by some anti gunners?  That's the only ting that makes sense to me.

I've wondered about this at times. Just how far would an "anti" go? Not say it has, or will happen; but it is something to think about in a climate like we have now. 

Anti-gunners have shown that facts and truth mean nothing to them if the results are for their side...so maybe it is conceivable.

• Like 1

Litmus test of blame, who would the lawyers go after if someone in deed had been shot/killed/suffered greatly:  I like to assume the ones with money:

>Promoter & Employees.  Assume the rent cops who check guns are paid employees or contractors
>Gun Owner
>Property Owner
>If the rent a cop is a contractor, then the rent a cop

No doubt the promoters of the show are insured. Hence that is where the lawyers would go.

It's possible the lawyers for the insurance would then pursue other parties but I suspect they might find the well a little dry depending.

I've wondered about this at times. Just how far would an "anti" go? Not say it has, or will happen; but it is something to think about in a climate like we have now. 

Anti-gunners have shown that facts and truth mean nothing to them if the results are for their side...so maybe it is conceivable.

The fact that no one was injured makes me think even more that it was set up by an anti.  Think about it, they supposedly got the rifle past security, who would have checked it to see if it was loaded and/or chambered.  They then sold it to a vendor, any gun guy worth his salt would have checked to see if it was loaded before ever making an offer (checking the operation of the action and whatnot.)  Then someone simply walks up and pulls the trigger and the gun goes off, I'm sure I'm wrong but I would like to think that anyone at a gun show wouldn't do something that careless.   This just doesn't add up to me as a simple oversight.

• Moderators
Well...As stated I was there. It got me thinking. What if instead of posting all the signs saying "no loose ammo or loaded guns. No exceptions", they posted signs saying "lethal guns beyond this point. Please check that all firearms are unloaded upon handling at your own risk".

I understand the desire of attempting to eliminate the handling/transfer of unloaded firearms. However, it seems to create a very large group of people (some of which may have never touched a firearm in their life), and tell them that all the firearms in that magical room are unloaded and safe. Pair that with someone who has never learned any firearm safety rules, and it eventually turns out like this. The allusion that all the guns are unloaded causes many to "forget" safety rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Well...As stated I was there. It got me thinking. What if instead of posting all the signs saying "no loose ammo or loaded guns. No exceptions", they posted signs saying "lethal guns beyond this point. Please check that all firearms are unloaded upon handling at your own risk".

I understand the desire of attempting to eliminate the handling/transfer of unloaded firearms. However, it seems to create a very large group of people (some of which may have never touched a firearm in their life), and tell them that all the firearms in that magical room are unloaded and safe. Pair that with someone who has never learned any firearm safety rules, and it eventually turns out like this. The allusion that all the guns are unloaded causes many to "forget" safety rules.

We even had a thread on here about this a couple years ago & several TGO members bragged that they still concealed a loaded pistol or carried ammo in the show anyway because they didn't feel that the signs applied to them. There will always be a few that ruin it for the rest of us.

We even had a thread on here about this a couple years ago & several TGO members bragged that they still concealed a loaded pistol or carried ammo in the show anyway because they didn't feel that the signs applied to them. There will always be a few that ruin it for the rest of us.

You figure a routinely concealed handgun has a greater likelihood of going off at a gun show than a McDonald's?

- OS

• Like 2

Seems to me the gun seller is at the greatest fault. Besides the obvious of checking them first,  guns are also supposed to be zip locked in such a fashion that they can't be cocked/fired.

You can't expect everyone who wanders into a place with 10 thousand guns to be an exemplar of firearm handling safety.

I doubt seriously the "anti-gunner" theory, especially if true that this was a tube fed rifle, and with extra rounds in it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Theres always a older dude at the goodman nashville show sitting in a chair in the back waving his pistols around for private sale - ALWAYS with his finger in the trigger. Drives me crazy

Yeah there used to be one or two that are back there with him doing the same thing.

I stopped going to the Goodman shows though so I have no idea if the whole crew is still in the back

I think the blame lies with both.

And if it was a set up( which I think it was not)  to think that a person would possibly  allow for a child to get killed or anyone else for that matter. Must be some really messed up human being. I cant fathom that... but then again.. there such people :(

I think its more of someone that doesn't need to own a gun.. apparently they need to go back to Lego`s ..

I believe you have a good list.

I would reorder it.

First the one that pulled the trigger.
Then the Vendor that was involved, then Promoter, and maybe the ones that checked at the door to see if loaded.

Only if the one that pulled the trigger has money. Otherwise they will be further down the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No, and that is a possibility, but is there any evidence of it? We should be vigilant of that when there is evidence.

You figure a routinely concealed handgun has a greater likelihood of going off at a gun show than a McDonald's?

- OS

You figure breaking the law & ignoring legal signage is OK? That was my point! There have been two ND at two Knoxville gun shows in the past two years. Jan. of 2012 an idiot shot a hole through his hand with a Kimber & now this.

• Moderators

You figure breaking the law & ignoring legal signage is OK? That was my point! There have been two ND at two Knoxville gun shows in the past two years. Jan. of 2012 an idiot shot a hole through his hand with a Kimber & now this.

Obviously it is up to each individual as to whether or not to obey signs, but I find it very ironic that most the "holy grails" (gun shows) of firearm events do not allow for lawful carry. With so many people boycotting restraints and the like that post, it's ironic that gun shows are so well supported in their current form.

I think all OH Shoot was asking was whether or not someone that typically carries has a greater chance of a negligent discharge at a gun show. Remember that yesterday one of our members was in a sense an accomplice to a negligent discharge just yesterday.

I cannot go through the entire gun show policing everyone, but those places are full of people completely ignoring 100% of all firearm rules. Saw a kid yesterday around age 10 "sniping" me with a nice scoped rifle. Was obviously just in awe of the scope and power he was holding, but had no respect for what he was holding. His fault? I say most of the responsibility rides on the fact his father was allowing it while standing right behind him. That gun could have been the one with a round in the chamber.

I think it is naive for these establishments to promote a "gun free zone" saying "no loaded firearms or loose ammo. no exceptions". It makes the careless even more careless. Tell each and every customer that there are potentially loaded guns in there because they didn't really take the time to check anyone, tell vendors to quadruple check everything, and reiterate that everyone check their firearms upon handing off and taking hand of. In my opinion, that is better than create a very obviously false "unloaded gun" zone. Pretending that it works is just like pretending that gun free zones prevent robberies or mass shootings.

My wife and I were a couple of rows over when the guy discharged that rifle. We were just discussing the fact that we had been swept several times since entering the show.  We've been to some of the biggest gun shows in the nation; Reno, Tulsa, Baltimore/Timonium, etc .and haven't felt as odd (unsafe) as we did yesterday.  We left shortly after the incident.  Other than safety it was a pretty good show.  I don't know the answers, I have some ideas, however some folks better get their act together or it'll get fixed for them.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

One small show came up with an answer, actually the members of MSGO did. Earlier this year when we had 3 ND's at shows down there in 3 weeks (Tupelo then Hattiesburg, then Jackson), and members were at all three, and one MSGO (And the treasurer of our R&P Club) member was hit in the leg by shrapnel because he was  standing right next to the kid that did it (The gun was the venders carry gun, was going to sell it, handed it to the father, father set it on the table, kid picked it up and pulled the trigger).

A lot of people started suggesting that instead of the venue having to hire or rent cops, why not some of the NRA members step up and volunteer their time? Well there was a small show  (About 50 tables) down by Magee right after the third ND. Had to wait about 15 minutes to get in (Not as long as some of those people waited yesterday), but when we got in there was one cop, and seven other guys sitting at two tables. All but two were wearing NRA hats and the two that werent one was wearing a WWII Veterans hat and the other a Vietnam Veterans hat, 3 guys on each table and one guy standing at the end of the line observing.

Hand your gun to the first guy, cleared and inspected, second guy, re-inspected and zip tied, handed to the one guy standing and he looked it over real quick and handed it to you.

Took all of a minute per gun.

Guaranteed there was going to be no ND in there, and they saved money, because they were volunteers.

Only incident at that show was a guy had a heart attack outside while waiting in line.

Edited by TankerHC

You figure breaking the law & ignoring legal signage is OK? That was my point!

Whether they are "legal" or not, I have never seen statutorily compliant signage at a TN gun show. Never. Not once.

There have been two ND at two Knoxville gun shows in the past two years. Jan. of 2012 an idiot shot a hole through his hand with a Kimber & now this.

Ah,so that really wasn't your point. "now this" had nothing to do with carry.

What was the Kimber incident? Was it at a gunshow? Person carry it in there under a permit?

- OS