At first I thought this was a joke....

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Man arrested and charged with a felony....for having a secret compartment in his car filled with.....NOTHING

Its now against the law in Ohio to have a secret compartment in your car, even if there is nothing in it. And it's a felony.

Wonder how long before this spreads. And what does it take to prove intent?

"The ACLU of Ohio believes SB 305 is an unnecessary and unproductive expansion of law. Drug trafficking is already prohibited under Ohio law, so there is no use for shifting the focus to the container. Further by focusing on the container itself, this bill criminalizes a person with prior felony drug trafficking convictions simply for driving a car with a hidden compartment, regardless of whether or not drugs or even drug residue are present.

Given this is the first arrest, you have to wonder how the courts might view a law making it a felony to alter a person's own property for reasons that have nothing to do with actual public safety. Maybe we'll see.:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/21/driver-arrested-in-ohio-for-secret-car-c

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2013/11/20/trap-car-law/3655713/

http://www.infowars.com/ohio-man-arrested-for-driving-car-with-empty-hidden-compartment/

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20131122/first-hidden-compartment-arrest-made-in-northeast-ohio

Edited by TankerHC

There are lots of these places in a car, WTF!!!

Apparently it is a super secret compartment with an electic opening device that requires a certain sequence of events to happen for it to open.

Regardless, that law is beyond ridiculous.  I don't care if it is a drug smuggling compartment.  There weren't any drugs, so no reasonable law was broken.

• Like 2

Man evidently the news medias where writing the lies as they needed to and cops were changing their stories too. The last one I read all of s sudden the LEO's smelled a fresh Mary Jane in the car which caused the search and not the wires. I wonder what they would have done if the wires went to hidden radio speakers with woofers connected to them. Everyone knows folks modify their cars for radio speakers so I guess in Ohio that is now illegal also............jmho

Guest Lester Weevils

That's exactly right Lester, unfortunately its the tax paying public winning the stupid prizes for our governments stupid games.

The public keep voting for those authoritarian morons who keep trying to wage a war on contraband. Let's just wage a war on human nature (which is pretty dang ornery, which will cut off its own nose to spite its own face, when push comes to shove). Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest TankerHC

I'm curious about the compartment that Dodge builds into several of their vehicles that could be considered secret? In the Ram it is under the middle front seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What about the Rambox option? I darn near bought one of those instant felonies.

mp011002rm-1281640608opt_zps02230eb4.jpg

I'm curious about the compartment that Dodge builds into several of their vehicles that could be considered secret? In the Ram it is under the middle front seat.

I bought a 2013 F 150 back in March.  I asked the salesman about a console compartment under the armrest/middle seat back.  He told me is was only an arm rest.  And it is.  Later that day after taking possession of the truck found that the middle jumpseat lifts up and has a nice hidey hole under it.   Makes me wonder if that could be considered hidden?

The dang salesman did not know it was there.  I did not know it was there from simply looking.

How could "the man" twist that?

I bought a 2013 F 150 back in March. I asked the salesman about a console compartment under the armrest/middle seat back. He told me is was only an arm rest. And it is. Later that day after taking possession of the truck found that the middle jumpseat lifts up and has a nice hidey hole under it. Makes me wonder if that could be considered hidden?

The dang salesman did not know it was there. I did not know it was there from simply looking.

How could "the man" twist that?

Nah that is just the "spare parts carrier" that is required on all Fords! :)

• Like 3

What about the Rambox option? I darn near bought one of those instant felonies.

mp011002rm-1281640608opt_zps02230eb4.jpg

Even though I disagree with this law.

The key words is alter and intent.  My intent is to use a location like that to Safely store ammo to keep it away from kids.  It is for the children you know.

Ohio passed a law in 2012 making it a felony to alter a vehicle to add a secret compartment with the “intent” of using it to conceal drugs for trafficking.

I do not condone any drug or other law breaking, but come on now. He needs to get a really good lawyer that wants to make a name for himself/herself keeping this politically correct. Mike .357 I had my 2012 F-150 for a few months before a buddy told me about the under console hidey hole. And Dane that hidey hole ain't near about big enough to put all the spare parts to keep a Ford a runnin!! You know Ford used to have a commercial about 98% of all Fords built were still on the road, they weren't lyin, I see them beside the road every day!! On a cool quiet evening you can hear them Fords a rustin, kind of warms your heart ya know. Just funnin ya'll I have a F-150 and a Yukon so I am playing both sides, looking to buy a Jeep so I can have something running some of the time.

I wonder if one of the biometric gun vaults under the seat would suffice for a felony charge? 

And that's where we get into trouble at.  I guess the car manufacturers need to start filling in all the gaps with some kind of homeland security approved safety foam that you can tell if it's been tampered with or not.

Guest Lester Weevils

And that's where we get into trouble at.  I guess the car manufacturers need to start filling in all the gaps with some kind of homeland security approved safety foam that you can tell if it's been tampered with or not.

Don't give them any ideas! :)