Need AR advice

Dirtshooter

Hi guys, I am going to buy my adult son an AR for Christmas. I had planned on a new S&W M&P but ran across a local deal of a used Bushmaster XM-15E2S flattop that has collapsible stock, leapers red dot, aftermarket handguards, foregrip with light and maybe bipod, sling and 3 mags. Also included in deal is 400 rounds of PMC Bronze ammo and 220 rounds of Wolf steel cased. He is asking $1,000 and although I think it is a good deal I am having a hard time deciding. I want your opinion so I don't have buyers remorse, or better yet I can put part of the blame on you. LOL Thanks Mac Also does anyone know how to check an upper to see what brand it is or anything, most I see don't have any marking.

Meh. A used Bushie would have to have some pretty high end accoutrements to be worth a grand IMO currently.

Even BendMeOverGanderMountain was selling that model from factory for less than 900 new.

edit: Well, hmm, then again, overlooked  the ammo, well that's about $250, so maybe 750 clams ain't so bad. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I've got a Bushmaster. I'm no expert, but it seems to be a good rifle. That doesn't sound too bad with the ammo and all, but AR prices have dropped drastically, in the past few months. It sounds like a great selection for a Christmas gift.

Edited by gregintenn
If I were buying a used AR, I would confirm if its 100% genuine OEM, assuming that is what you want and a concern. Many people build ARs, and many are very good with high quality parts, but some could have less than desired internals. There is some peace of mind buying new, with a warranty, and for certain the ownership trail. If you are an expert and can spot less than desirable parts, then you should be okay.
  • Like 1

The story I got from the guy is a friend won it in a raffle and sold it to him so I am pretty sure it is a factory gun. Hey Runco, if I was an expert I wouldn't be asking ya'lls advice. LOL On some things I just like another opinion as I have been stuck in the past and it never feels real good to find out later. Thanks Mac

Sorry Glock55 but for certain you would have to change that name! LOL Shoot I have to be good to my kids and grandkids so they will take care of my sorry but when I sure enough get old.My oldest grandson is getting a camo Ruger 10-22 that is sure to get me a few brownie points.

Sorry Glock55 but for certain you would have to change that name! LOL Shoot I have to be good to my kids and grandkids so they will take care of my sorry but when I sure enough get old.My oldest grandson is getting a camo Ruger 10-22 that is sure to get me a few brownie points.

Can't blame a guy for trying. I'm sure they will be there for you. Hope they enjoy the new guns and May Santa bring many boxes of 22lr for that ruger.

The story I got from the guy is a friend won it in a raffle and sold it to him so I am pretty sure it is a factory gun. Hey Runco, if I was an expert I wouldn't be asking ya'lls advice. LOL On some things I just like another opinion as I have been stuck in the past and it never feels real good to find out later. Thanks Mac

I was being sarcastic.

I'm an odd one. There better be some decent separation in price from a new gun price (OTD) and vs. a used gun price. The seperation in price should be enough to give me peace of mind even if I got screwed. It shouldn't matter if the gun was won in raffle, or if it was owned by a little ole lady who only shot it on Sundays with one 223 factory round!

You are probably safe, but I am a very pessimistic person with a touch of Murphy. Remember Walmart sells that gun, check the pricing. Edited by Runco

Personally I would still stick with the M&P - even with the ammo and extras. Wolf steel case is relatively cheap and can be found with relative ease now, Midway had some in last month 500rds for $179.  The mags are only $10 a piece if not less also at Midway - Pmags for $8.99 now.

CS with S&W is dependable - from all accounts since Bushmaster moved to Freedom Group... not so much.

Personally though if I were buying one right now CDNN has Colt 6920s for $949 with $6 shipping, hard to beat that.

• Like 1

Personally I would still stick with the M&P - even with the ammo and extras. Wolf steel case is relatively cheap and can be found with relative ease now, Midway had some in last month 500rds for $179.  The mags are only $10 a piece if not less also at Midway - Pmags for $8.99 now.

CS with S&W is dependable - from all accounts since Bushmaster moved to Freedom Group... not so much.

Personally though if I were buying one right now CDNN has Colt 6920s for $949 with $6 shipping, hard to beat that.

When you're beating Wal Mart's price by $100, that is a definitely something to look into and jump on.

I see the LE6920MP for $1199, the basic 6920 for $1099 and a used trade in with the carry handle for $899.  This all on page 33 of the CDNN online catalog.  Where is this deal you speak of?

Edited by hardknox00001
[quote name="hardknox00001" post="1080645" timestamp="1387377337"]I see the LE6920MP for $1199, the basic 6920 for $1099 and a used trade in with the carry handle for $899. This all on page 33 of the CDNN online catalog. Where is this deal you speak of?[/quote] CDNN sends out flyers about twice a week. It came out on Dec 6th, also had the HK USC for $1299 - you have to call in to get the deal: 1-800-588-9500. They have greet deals on mags etc that aren't advertised except in those emails - I would highly recommend signing up. The sign up is on there site, on the left near the bottom.

CDNN sends out flyers about twice a week. It came out on Dec 6th, also had the HK USC for $1299 - you have to call in to get the deal: 1-800-588-9500. They have greet deals on mags etc that aren't advertised except in those emails - I would highly recommend signing up. The sign up is on there site, on the left near the bottom.

I like the concept of the USC but I'd have to do some converting to make it a UMP, single stack mag with a 16" barrel? Blasphemy...

[quote name="whitewolf001" post="1080756" timestamp="1387390946"]I like the concept of the USC but I'd have to do some converting to make it a UMP, single stack mag with a 16" barrel? Blasphemy...[/quote] Exactly, it's actually one of my future projects. We had a couple on a deployment and I became a big fan.
  • Like 1

I see the LE6920MP for $1199, the basic 6920 for $1099 and a used trade in with the carry handle for $899.  This all on page 33 of the CDNN online catalog.  Where is this deal you speak of?

Got an email from them this week with the pricing mentioned, yes very tempting, but it's Christmas time, so no-go on that for me..  I can forward to it to you if you would like.. 

I would stay away from that bushmaster. The M&P is a decent gun. Check your local gun stores for a better alternative. I would much rather have a Rock River, Colt, Sig, Bravo, or any higher quality AR than a bushmaster with a ton of accessories.

That's funny, owned both, not a whole lot of difference between the two, if any at all. Another funny thing putting a current colt product in the same league as a BCM, or RRA. Go look at some threads on arf.com and check out some of the pics of the "quality" of a colt that is being thrown out the door right now. After seeing that crap I would take a S&W or Bushy over a colt any day.

Don't get me wrong, they will shoot. I just have found the QC on the ones I've handled to be less than I would like. I also think that price is high for used even with the extras. Knock a few hundred off and I would say jump on it.

It wasn't a trick question. I don't know much about ARs, and honestly, short of the triggers and stocks, I haven't been able to discern much difference in quality between brands. My Bushmaster functions flawlessly, and shoots tiny 100 yard groups. Perhaps I'm lucky and got a good one, but more likely, I just don't know enough to know what to look for.

What QC issues should I look for?

Thanks for responding.

Edited by gregintenn