Generators

Group buy? :)

I'm going to have the secretary pull all the invoices this week so I can go through and figure out who we bought them from and where they had to be picked up, exact price, condition, etc.. and contact the people and see what kind of price I would be looking at now. I may do a little research and see if there are enough buyers looking for them and if there are I might see about scrounging up the money to buy a load of them for resale purposes. If it makes sense to do this then I would be happy to offer a few on here for pretty much cost. I'll keep you posted if I end up working this out.

I'm going to have the secretary pull all the invoices this week so I can go through and figure out who we bought them from and where they had to be picked up, exact price, condition, etc.. and contact the people and see what kind of price I would be looking at now. I may do a little research and see if there are enough buyers looking for them and if there are I might see about scrounging up the money to buy a load of them for resale purposes. If it makes sense to do this then I would be happy to offer a few on here for pretty much cost. I'll keep you posted if I end up working this out.

In the interests of full disclosure, those look a little bit bigger than what I could actually do anything with right now. Though I should really get hold of the actual dimensions as I'm just going from eyeballing.

Edited by tnguy

In the interests of full disclosure, those look a little bit bigger than what I could actually do anything with right now. Though I should really get hold of the actual dimensions as I'm just going from eyeballing.

They are HEAVY! Any generators of that output is going to have lots of weight in copper wire alone. As for the physical dimensions, I seem to remember them being around 5'-6' long and maybe 3' wide. The ones that we had were mounted to an "I" beam skid made of 2 long "i" beams running long ways and a couple pieces of steel running between them to join them together. You can move them into place with a decent size skid steer easy enough but they certainly aren't the type of generator that you want if you're going to need to move them  very often unless you own a skid steer or something to move it with yourself. I'm thinking aboutbuying a couple just to hook to our house and my parents house. They would be easy enough to wire into your house panel and then wire up a starter/kill switch inside next to the breaker panel. I would suggest getting enough quickcrete to pour a small pad for it and install some sort of mounting bolts/studs into the concrete so that it could be bolted down. Some heavy rubber between the frame and the concrete should get rid of any possible rattles and vibrations. 

As far as hauling it goes, It could be hauled in the bed of a pickup but i'd say a 3/4 or 1 ton would be needed but smaller pickups would be out of the question. Hopefully the shipping paperwork we have will show the size and weight of the units.

The units that I saw at the link above seem a bit rougher condition than the ones we had. 

I've not been able to pull the invoices from the 20kw generators that we had. The secretary is out of town this week and she now works from home so I have decided to wait until she returns this weekend rather than risk a breaking and entering charge to get them sooner ;)

6250watts? That was a pretty good score i'd say.

Yeah, i walked in the pawn shop this morning to price some AR parts(quad rail)...and seen the generator over in the corner, i was like :stunned: when i seen the sale price on it..They had 3 other gensets there, this one had the best price..so i asked if i could take it outside to test it, they said sure, so took it out, it fired up on the 2nd pull :woohoo: ..then i tested out a power tool from their shelf to see if it generated power...and it did...so i payed for it and loaded it up in the back of my truck :)

I just finished up making my patch cord so i can backfeed my house if the power goes out :)

[URL=http://s82.photobucket.com/user/wayne121170/media/IMG_20141009_141718618_zpsdiykos0s.jpg.html]IMG_20141009_141718618_zpsdiykos0s.jpg[/URL]

Yeah, i walked in the pawn shop this morning to price some AR parts(quad rail)...and seen the generator over in the corner, i was like :stunned: when i seen the sale price on it..They had 3 other gensets there, this one had the best price..so i asked if i could take it outside to test it, they said sure, so took it out, it fired up on the 2nd pull :woohoo: ..then i tested out a power tool from their shelf to see if it generated power...and it did...so i payed for it and loaded it up in the back of my truck :)

I just finished up making my patch cord so i can backfeed my house if the power goes out :)

IMG_20141009_141718618_zpsdiykos0s.jpg

You know they call those "suicide cables", right? But nice find.

Edited by tnguy

yes...i love finding a deal :)...especially nowadays, they are getting pretty hard to come by..

Indeed!

I did snag a stihl blower at my local pawn shop for $100. Wouldn't start at the shop ao i took a chance and put in a new plug, hosed out the carb with cleaner and put in fresh gas. Started right up [emoji41]
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A 5kw will run pretty much all you need. for the average house, if you don't have electric heat. I've got a 10KW military generator and can run the whole house (including AC).

The good thing about military generators is they will run 10% over rated output for hours on end and never miss a beat ( the civilian equivalent to my 10kw military is rated at 12,500kw). The down side is they are loud. Being load isn't really a problem for me as I have no near neighbors but probably wouldn't be a good idea in a subdivision.  

Edited by m16ty

At the times I need to run a generator, the electricity is more important than the noise.  My neighbor may curse me but I can't hear it over the noise of the generator.  During past outages I've offered to let him plug an extension cord into my generator but I will not make that mistake again.

Edited by tnhawk

At the times I need to run a generator, the electricity is more important than the noise.  My neighbor may curse me but I can't hear it over the noise of the generator.  During past outages I've offered to let him plug an extension cord into my generatoer but I will not make that mistake again.

Sounds like there's a story there.
  • Like 1