How do you sharpen a ceramic knife?

I bought my wife a Boker ceramic kitchen knife that “never needs sharpening”.  It’s as dull as a butter knife.  I tried using my Lansky sharpener with a diamond encrusted stone. Two hundred strokes on each side and it’s still dull!  I guess I can try two hundred more…….

• Administrator

http://www.boker.de/us/warranty.html

Due to their extreme hardness, which is why they do not need to be sharpened as often as a steel blade, they are brittle. Therefore, blade breakage or chipping is not covered under warranty. We do provide a sharpening service, which can get out most small chips in the blade and restore the original edge.

Do not attempt to sharpen your Ceramic knife on your own.

If you need to have your knife sharpened, please refer to the information below.

Send your knife to:

Ross Cutlery
Attn: Ceramic Sharpening
324 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013

The charge for this service is $19.95 plus $10.00 for each additional knife in the same package. This service will take approximately 4 weeks.

Payment to Ross Cutlery must be in the form of a check or money order made out to Ross Cutlery. Please include a note with your name, address (no PO Boxes please) and phone number.

If you have any questions, please call (303) 462-0662 ext. 121.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback but for $20 and the trouble, I’ll try two hundred more strokes. My wife has a set of Almar knives and a couple of high dollar Japanese knives that I can sharpen. If I mess up the blade on the ceramic knife…. I’ll use it to spread peanut butter. ;)

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
This will sound odd to those whose last conversation about hardness was in 4th grade science class, but the zirconium oxide variants that most ceramic knives are comprised of is actually harder than a natural diamond.

Two hundred more strokes isn't going to help.

This will sound odd to those whose last conversation about hardness was in 4th grade science class, but the zirconium oxide variants that most ceramic knives are comprised of is actually harder than a natural diamond.

We didn’t learn that in 4th grade. I don’t even think zirconium oxide was invented when I was in the 4th grade.  After reading some reviews on Amazon, it seems I am not the only one to complain about the sharpness of these knives. Maybe I was expecting too much. I also Googled Zirconuim Oxide. Your never too old to learn. 

Ding!

You need a specialized grinder to sharpen it. A traditional sharpener will just rub on it. You'll do more damage to the sharpener than the blade.
  • Like 1
I always wondered about ceramics, harbor freight sells 2 different models that have held up well for the past year 15 bucks each. Never tried to sharpen them as someone had mentioned to me there was a trick or method just for ceramics...I guess the easiest is to trash and buy again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I bought my wife a Boker ceramic kitchen knife that “never needs sharpening”.  It’s as dull as a butter knife.  I tried using my Lansky sharpener with a diamond encrusted stone. Two hundred strokes on each side and it’s still dull!  I guess I can try two hundred more…….

If a Lansky sharpener won't do the task, I don't think it can be done at home.  I'd send it for sharpening or buy another knife depending on the value.

Probably so. I've never had one, but thought the cutting edge would have to be prone to chipping.

It's the main reason they don't max out the hardness when they heat treat blade steel. Brittle ain't a good quality for a knife edge, and I don't know how you can avoid it with ceramic.

• Like 1
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1084661" timestamp="1388113027"]It's the main reason they don't max out the hardness when they heat treat blade steel. Brittle ain't a good quality for a knife edge, and I don't know how you can avoid it with ceramic.[/quote] Yep. When you harden steel by heating and quenching its extremely hard and will hold an edge forever. But if you drop it on concrete or ding it against something it'll crack or possibly shatter. So you have to temper them down to a managable rockwell. Thats the reason I don't own a ceramic. I have never seen one any sharper than a well sharpened high carbon steel knife. By well sharpened I mean scalpel/straight razor sharp. Tapatalk ate my spelling.