Pipes & Cigars

I'm a cigarette smoker normally. I have a pipe Ive smoked from time to time but I have a problem with pipe bite aka my tounge burning/hurting. Any tips on how to get away from it? Ill post a picture when I can. I am a part time cigar guy, and plan to order some Clints when I get straightened out financially. http://www.clintscigars.com Tapatalk ate my spelling.

My wife has been asking for a pipe for years to smoke with me on the boat because I always smoke a cigar out there and she loves the smell. So I finally caved and got her one for Christmas. This is us enjoying her new pipe and a good cigar the day we opened presents.

image_zps9e50d5f1.jpg

• Like 4

I have a pipe Ive smoked from time to time but I have a problem with pipe bite aka my tounge burning/hurting. Any tips on how to get away from it?

Do you have a straight pipe or a bent pipe? Bent pipes are much less likely to cause pipe bite

I'm a cigarette smoker normally. I have a pipe Ive smoked from time to time but I have a problem with pipe bite aka my tounge burning/hurting. Any tips on how to get away from it? Ill post a picture when I can. I am a part time cigar guy, and plan to order some Clints when I get straightened out financially. http://www.clintscigars.com Tapatalk ate my spelling.

+1 xjsnake regarding pipe shape. Peterson makes a "p-lip" mouthpiece on some of their pipes which has the vent hole on top of the mouthpiece to help with tongue bite. Some other factors regarding the issue:

· Speed of puffing (try slowing down and see if that helps)

· How the bowl was packed

· Some blends just tend to burn hot (aromatics seemed to more so than the english blends)

Edited by Father Goose

+1 xjsnake regarding pipe shape. Peterson makes a "p-lip" mouthpiece on some of their pipes which has the vent hole on top of the mouthpiece to help with tongue bite. Some other factors regarding the issue:

· Speed of puffing (try slowing down and see if that helps)

· How the bowl was packed

· Some blends just tend to burn hot (aromatics seemed to more so than the english blends)

Not that I can improve on FG's post but a few related thoughts:

-- As a fairly experienced cigar smoker but relative pipe newbie and primarily seasonal at that, if cigars are checkers, pipes are chess.  Much more technique and nuisance.  Puffing enough to keep the bowl going but not so much that the pipe "overheats."  Cigarette smokers are at a particular disadvantage as most are used to huffing one down standing under an overhang in the pouring rain. 

-- As FG says, some blends just burn hotter.  I find a pipe with thicker walls helps, especially with the sweeter aromatics.

-- Collecting pipes can be as addictive as collecting guns.  I've moved slow but I've got buddies with collections in triple digits.  If you get the bug or just want a lower entry point, be sure to look at estate pipes.  I've picked up a couple of nice estate pipes in really good shape for ~25-40% of the new price.  Fortunately pipes are also like firearms in that folks that care keep their stuff in good condition.          

I quit cigs eight years ago after 33 years of puffin them. Best thing I ever did. Now have started enjoying fine cigars ever now and then. The pipes remind me of my late great aunt who in her latter days (in her 80s) in WestTexas favored a corn cob pipe on her front porch in the evenings. She was a great lady.... 23 kids.

I quit cigs eight years ago after 33 years of puffin them. Best thing I ever did. Now have started enjoying fine cigars ever now and then. The pipes remind me of my late great aunt who in her latter days (in her 80s) in WestTexas favored a corn cob pipe on her front porch in the evenings. She was a great lady.... 23 kids.

:stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:  :stunned:

• Like 1

I started with a pipe a few years ago. Used to do cigars, but the wife was not a big fan of the smell. She actually asks me to smoke the pipe because she likes it so much.

She got me a Meerschaum pipe a few years ago, that I really like. It's shaped like a hand holding the bowl from underneath. Its started getting the cool patina from using it, and really looks nice.

Last year i bought a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe kind of as a joke. Turns out it smokes really well and I really enjoy it. The stem is kind if cheap and I've mis-shaped it some by holding it in my teeth, but it's a nice pipe. I tend to hold my pipes with my teeth rather than my hand.

I'm a cigarette smoker myself, and "make my own".

But occasionally I do like a cigar, especially something like a Macanudo or a cigar along that like with a maduro wrapper. I don't pretend to know much about cigars, just what I've stumbled upon that I like.

Quality cigars are generally costly though. I discovered Backwoods Cigars, Honey Berry in particular, several years ago. :up:

I know some folks will say those are sissy flavored cigars, but I think they are pretty darn good..and they're affordable.

I do have a couple of pipes. 2 I inherited from my father, and one I picked up in Germany back in the 70's. I really do need to try them out, but haven't a clue as to what tobacco to try.

Pipe tobacco recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

My grandmother (back in South Mississippi) taught me to make corncob pipes when I was 5 years old. She had me make them for her mother (full blooded Cherokee lady). It kept me busy and kept her mother happy. Smart lady my grandmother.

I love my pipes!  Started many years ago, and turned into an avid collector/smoker.  I wanted a broad based collection, so instead of concentrating one brand i went as diverse as I could.  Not sure how many I have but I'm sure its over 100 by now.  Everything from low end 'basket" pipes to high end (to me) pipes that cost several hundred a piece.  Oddly enough, my absolutely favorite smoker is an italian pipe that I found at the Tobacco Road Pipe Shop at the old Harding Road Mall back in the 90's.  It was a basket pipe that I paid less than 30 bucks for. Ive got  American mades, Canadians, Danish, German, English, French, Italians, and probably others  but   I smoked my pipes in rotation and I always looked forward to smoking that one the most.  Of late, Ive suffered from some respiratory problems, probably related to my prior cigarette use and also being grossly out of shape, so Ive not smoked my pipes in a long while.  I miss them though.  Sometimes I want to keep them in case I start up again, at other times I think about selling therm.  What I may eventually do is find a young fella who is into pipes but dont have a lot of money and make a gift of them.  that would be a nice thing I think, to enable  someone who has desires but not the means to experience some great smoking pipes.

Edited by barewoolf
  • Like 1

My wife has been asking for a pipe for years to smoke with me on the boat because I always smoke a cigar out there and she loves the smell. So I finally caved and got her one for Christmas. This is us enjoying her new pipe and a good cigar the day we opened presents.

image_zps9e50d5f1.jpg

I smoke a pipe on a rare occasion. Mostly burn the black cherry stuff.

If I smoke a Cigar, it's going to be a Macanudo Robust or similar. That's about my limit pricewise for a stogie.

If I smoke a cigarette, I buy Turkish Tabaco and roll my own.

I smoke for taste, smell and enjoyment, not addiction. So I rarely smoke, but when I do, I won't fool with crap like Marlboro and all.

Edited by JohnC
  • Like 2

Also, I can hardly finish a full size cigar anymore, especially because my wife has asthma and I can't smoke anywhere near her.

So when I buy a cigar now, I try to find small sizes in the tins.

I've had these for a while.

vypu4y7y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

Edited by JohnC

I too have my grandfather's old pipe.  Ran across it the other day so I thought that I'd throw a pic up from this thread.  I've never smoked a pipe much, just a few times when I was younger.  I think I may clean this one up and go buy some pipe tobaccoo and give it a shot.

18140057_zps60263e81.jpg

• Like 3

[quote name="JohnC" post="1092082" timestamp="1389275995"]Also, I can hardly finish a full size cigar anymore, especially because my wife has asthma and I can't smoke anywhere near her. So when u buy a cigar now, I try to find small sizes in the tins. I've had these for a while. vypu4y7y.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2[/quote] Try the Arturo Fuente short story, which is a large ring size but only 3-4" long - full body flavor but only lasts 15 min or so

• Like 2