Carrying and body armor

Guest theconstitutionrocks

I always found it a bit odd...I hear about a lot of people who carry but don't wear a vest. Seems to me that if you think you might need your weapon the need for a vest would be just as important. In cases where it is not worn, is this just a trade off of mobility and comfort vs possibility of need or is it a reliance of being able to shoot first and accurately enough to eliminate a threat before he pops a cap in you?

Thoughts?

Mobility, comfort, not wanting to look like a mall ninja.... Something along those lines.

I generally tend to agree...if I'm going to be static in a confined area (ie movie theater...go figure) where cover or movement is limited or non-existant, then I'm wearing a vest. If I'm mobile, probably not, unless there is a significant potential threat...(going to recover the daughter and broken down car in the hood at 1 am in which case there is definitely a ..."WTF were you doing in this part of town at this hour..." ass chewing that is going to occur). With regard to being mobile, the tactical response in my view is get the hell out of the area first (it is NOT my job to move towards gunfire). If I can't do that, it is to take up a covered/concealed position which causes a "fatal funnel" for the bad guy and the element of suprise and oppportunity to shoot first, at fairly close range to ensure good shot placement and multiple hits (preferably the head) because I don't know if he is wearing body armor or not.

Wearing a vest and getting in a shoot out or even defending yourself... Your not going to fend very well in court. Good luck with that.

If you need a vest or personally feel the need, you should be carrying a much bigger weapon than a pistol, and at that point, you probably have a lot more to worry about.
  • Like 7
I forego the armor in lieu of dual wield pistols. You can only take so many attachments and perks so I prefer the extra firepower, since I'm more focused on getting the score streak. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 10
[quote name="theconstitutionrocks" post="1105133" timestamp="1391357454"]I generally tend to agree...if I'm going to be static in a confined area (ie movie theater...go figure) where cover or movement is limited or non-existant, then I'm wearing a vest. If I'm mobile, probably not, unless there is a significant potential threat...(going to recover the daughter and broken down car in the hood at 1 am in which case there is definitely a ..."WTF were you doing in this part of town at this hour..." ass chewing that is going to occur). With regard to being mobile, the tactical response in my view is get the hell out of the area first (it is NOT my job to move towards gunfire). If I can't do that, it is to take up a covered/concealed position which causes a "fatal funnel" for the bad guy and the element of suprise and oppportunity to shoot first, at fairly close range to ensure good shot placement and multiple hits (preferably the head) because I don't know if he is wearing body armor or not.[/quote] Body armor? Head shots?? I'm not being rude, but what kind of place do you live in? The world is a dangerous place, and carrying a firearm is just smart practice. But if you are in a place where you feel the need for body armor, then your gonna need a rifle. And head shots? I can't think of a single instructor I have ever heard in the civilian world or while I was in the Marines, that would advocate trying to get head shots. Especially using a pistol in a self defense situation. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Like 4

I forego the armor in lieu of dual wield pistols. You can only take so many attachments and perks so I prefer the extra firepower, since I'm more focused on getting the score streak. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer Incog and marathon

Incog is way more comfortable than wearing a tinfoil hat and marathon really helps with the PT tests.

• Like 1

Body armor? Head shots?? I'm not being rude, but what kind of place do you live in? The world is a dangerous place, and carrying a firearm is just smart practice. But if you are in a place where you feel the need for body armor, then your gonna need a rifle. And head shots? I can't think of a single instructor I have ever heard in the civilian world or while I was in the Marines, that would advocate trying to get head shots. Especially using a pistol in a self defense situation. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Well I look at it like this...If there is a possibility of having to use a pistol, that means you are possibly going to get shot at. If that is the case then you (IMHO) either need to be mobile and get the hell out of the area, or, if you can't readily do that, either have body armor on to mitigate the threat (which if a rifle and all you have is IIIA you are pretty much F*****), or to be able to hole up in an area where you have the element of suprise and a narrow open approach.

As far as head shots...I'm not going to try to engage that person down a 25 yd isle, i'd be looking to do it from a covered/concealed position less than 5-7 yds away before he knows I'm there.

When I was with the Sher. Dept., we were required to wear one. Warm weather, they're HOT!!, rest of the time,

they're tolerable, never comfortable. Wore one some in 'Nam, weighed a ton.

Personally I don't care to wear one now, to each his own. Think I'd opt for taking ducking lessons.

I took 5 hard hits in 'Nam, none of which hit anywhere near where a vest would cover.....just saying.

• Like 5

Make sure you duct tape some trauma plates on to it just in case. What if the Bad Guy is armed with a .338 Lapua or bigger?

Do you carry a Kel-Tec Sub2k in a briefcase as well? Cause then you could line the inside of the briefcases with some plates as well for even added protection.

• Like 1

Make sure you duct tape some trauma plates on to it just in case. What if the Bad Guy is armed with a .338 Lapua or bigger?

Do you carry a Kel-Tec Sub2k in a briefcase as well? Cause then you could line the inside of the briefcases with some plates as well for even added protection.

dude, just use duct tape to make plates. Macgyver could do it, why cant you?

Well I look at it like this...If there is a possibility of having to use a pistol, that means you are possibly going to get shot at. If that is the case then you (IMHO) either need to be mobile and get the hell out of the area, or, if you can't readily do that, either have body armor on to mitigate the threat (which if a rifle and all you have is IIIA you are pretty much F*****), or to be able to hole up in an area where you have the element of suprise and a narrow open approach.

As far as head shots...I'm not going to try to engage that person down a 25 yd isle, i'd be looking to do it from a covered/concealed position less than 5-7 yds away before he knows I'm there.

I think you're over thinking your next Wally World run...
  • Like 4
[quote name="theconstitutionrocks" post="1105252" timestamp="1391372800"]Well I look at it like this...If there is a possibility of having to use a pistol, that means you are possibly going to get shot at. If that is the case then you (IMHO) either need to be mobile and get the hell out of the area, or, if you can't readily do that, either have body armor on to mitigate the threat (which if a rifle and all you have is IIIA you are pretty much F*****), or to be able to hole up in an area where you have the element of suprise and a narrow open approach. [/quote] Well in that case I'd better throw a K-pot on and wear that everywhere too. Ya never know, I guess. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1105390" timestamp="1391391625"]Don't forget something to protect the cojones[/quote] Well of course. I double up the nut flap that hangs down from my body armor. Also put those side plates in, so I'm only lugging around an extra 45 lbs of armor. Problem is the kids complaining about wearing theirs everywhere they go, but I tell them, "where do you draw the line on safety, kids?" My son usually responds with, "wearing f'ng body armor everywhere we go, dad.... that is where I draw the f'ing line." Kids just don't get it I suppose. They'll learn to fear everything someday, I hope. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 9