Coke's America the Beautiful - Give me your thoughts

Shug

During last nights football game there were a few commercials aired that were good, most sucked, but there was one that really bothered me. I was wanting ya'lls honest feelings on it. I really didn't care for the coca cola company's rendition of "America the Beautiful" sung in a foreign language. I feel it is totally totally disrespectful, Whats your take on this?

In my time it's been my pleasure to talk to a number of folks who either came here from somewhere else, or whose parents or grandparents did. One of the things that struck me is that these people came here to be citizens of the United States. One of the things that seemed to be important to them was to be able to speak and read English in order to fit in to the culture.

Now we stress our differences. It seems counterproductive to me.

It's like the US is becoming Balkanized.

• Like 10

America is a multicultural nation.  I have no issue whatsoever with America the Beautiful being sung in multiple languages.  It representative of the diversity that makes up this nation.  

On a slightly different topic, what i have issues with from the super bowl is the fact that the NFL is a 25 billion dollar a year money generating machine that pays no taxes.

• Like 5

I thought it was disrespectful. Yes, America is multinational and cultural but English is our language. Other countries have their own language and songs. In English is how the song should be sang IMO.

In my time it's been my pleasure to talk to a number of folks who either came here from somewhere else, or whose parents or grandparents did. One of the things that struck me is that these people came here to be citizens of the United States. One of the things that seemed to be important to them was to be able to speak and read English in order to fit in to the culture.

Now we stress our differences. It seems counterproductive to me.

It's like the US is becoming Balkanized.

Both of these are the way I feel.

Beautiful song sang in English. I am tired of calling Lowe's for example and asked to press 1 for English. I am sorry, No I'm not sorry I am old and set in my ways and like Raoul has said many people immigrated to the U.S.A. and made certain that their kids learned English because they knew it was going to be much easier for them to get a good job if they could communicate with the majority of the citizens of the U.S.A. If you want to speak Spanish for example go to Mexico or Spain!! And while I am on a rant, I don't feel like giving any illegal alien from any country a "FREE" pass just because. I know personally know people that have went thru all the steps to become Legal Citizens and it is not fair to them to give these knuckleheads a free pass. My $0.02!!

• Like 2
If I had to take a shot in the dark on how many countries I've been to I'd say somewhere in the 20's. I get a kick out of the expectations of other Americans that folks there speak English, then get a bigger kick out of it when they do. The only places I've been to where the overwhelming majority of folks have no concept of English were countries where I carried a rifle. As for the rest, they didnt seem offended to speak English with me. I haven't seen this ad yet, so I can't form an opinion, but as a proud American I don't think I'd go out of my way to get offended. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll find something to be offended by tonight. This won't be it.

It's been said better already, I love the song and everything it stands for. Language is a non issue.

Maybe they'd better have the sign language interpreters stop interpreting it while we're on this whole "speak 'Merican" kick. But then, that's probably fine since its American Sign Language. (Insidently, ASL is the only excepted language with the word America associated with it at all.

And since I'm on the rant, why don't all you "lousy <insert political party of choice> stop trying to change the core values America stands for?!?1!!111." Sound familiar?
Guest TankerHC

I would say the 10 gazillion complaints on FB, the several hundred thousand on Alan West's page and the millions of others, the fact that the left is calling anyone who didnt like it "Right Wing Extremests, Teabaggers, Racists, I would say it didnt go over too well.

But they did the same thing last year. They PO'd every Arab in America, United States Citizen, born here or not. They ran an ad of an Arab with Camel walking through the desert and the Arabs called it racist, "Why is every Arab either a Shiek, Bedoiun or a Terrorist"?

Coke got exactly what it was looking to get. Since last night everyone is talking about Coke.

America is a multicultural nation.  I have no issue whatsoever with America the Beautiful being sung in multiple languages.  It representative of the diversity that makes up this nation.  

On a slightly different topic, what i have issues with from the super bowl is the fact that the NFL is a 25 billion dollar a year money generating machine that pays no taxes.

I know its off topic, but since its been brought up. No companies should pay taxes. If a company doesnt pay taxes and later on are required to pay taxes are they just going to eat the new expense? No they are going to cut employee pay, lay off employees, raise prices, or a combination. A tax on a business is just a way for the gov to hide tax from the people, because ultimately taxes are paid by the consumer directly or indirectly.

That being said, at first I had a problem with the commercial. But after thinking about it I dont really have a problem with it. Besides, its just a commercial.