Ballistol vs Kroil?

I hear a lot of folks on here talk about Kroil lately. I've used Breakfree for about the last 20 years for my firearms, but recently picked up a can of Ballistol after reading so much hype about it. I like it, other than the smell, which takes getting use to. Seems to be pretty good stuff.

What are your thoughts of the two oils for all around gun use....lube, clean and protect?

Kroil is more a deep cleaner and bore wipe to me.  It drys and goes away quickly so as a lubricant, I don't use it for that purpose.  On an older rifle or one that needs the lands and grooves cleaned well, it's great.  I have used it as a substitute for Hoppe's but still lubricate with CLP after cleaning.

kroil will probably protect, but honestly, do NOT use it on your guns for these purposes.   It is what wd-40 is supposed to be:  penetrating oil.  It spreads, and creeps,  and will loosen every pin, screw, whatever else is in your gun --- things will probably start to work loose just from shooting.    It would work as a lube for a while, but it will spread too thin to really serve there.   It will protect, but its going to creep and make a mess.   Its just not the right product.   If you have a rusted bolt/screw or stuck pin or even a stuck case in a die, use kroil -- its probably the best in of the class.   If you want to CLP, use something else.    Also, I have no idea if it harms any types of plastics or finishes.  Probably ok on finishes.

You might use it to clean, but I would not. 

Also, talk about an oil that will ruin ammo fast... I can assure you that if any oil can get into a primer and powder, this one WILL.

• Like 3
They all work mostly the same for cleaning IMO. The real difference lies with the ability to lubricate. I give the nod to balistol as the best all purpose CLP product. It cleans as well as anything, safe on pretty much any material, and does a pretty good job staying put as a lube. Grease maybe better if you use the right kind, but balistol works for me.

I will sometimes open a jar of Hoppes just for the smell. B)
  • Like 2
What they said.... Kroil, WD-40, PB Blaster, etc. are for cleaning and loosening stuck things. I use 3-in-1 oil for lubricating or protecting and I use silicone grease on things that slide.

The only "all in one" thing I use is CLP, and that's mostly for trigger assemblies that I don't want to take apart.
I keep a can of Kroil around all the time, but I don't use it as a lubricant. Like y'all said, it's too thin to do much good as a lubricant. I do use it on the inside of my barrels as treatment, for lack of a better term. I apply it with a patch and a jag at the end of my cleaning regiment and just leave it on. It seems to penetrate and protect, but I can't swear to it.

Kroil is made, or rather distributed from Murfreesboro, TN & I believe it's deodorized kerosene .. Do not know what Ballistol made from..

Little bit more to it than that but your real close...

Light Petroleum Distillates

Aliphatic Alcohols

Glycol Ether

Other Proprietary Ingredients

Anyone know where you can get Kroil locally in Knoxville area. I really hate when I run out and I have to wait 3-5 for my order. I looked all over for it last spring but never found it, just wondering if it has made its way into sores around here yet.

I do not use it on my guns, I use CLP as a all in one.

Kroil is made, or rather distributed from Murfreesboro, TN  (snip)

I always went to Kano Labs on East Thompson Lane in Nashville to buy it.  Is there another facility in Murfreesboro?

I also use Kano's "Dryphite" (spray graphite that dries) and "Slikene" (spray teflon that dries).

I use Kroil to loosen rusted fasteners.  Works great for that, but I really dislike the incredibly persistent smell of it.  

• Like 1
A friend had been using kroil on a Taurus millennium. After awhile the mag wouldn't drop. He handed me the pistol one day and said it wouldn't fire.

The kroil destroyed the round (primer) in the pipe and several other in the mag. I guess it swelled the frame too.

Not sure what else he does with his pistols but this one was soaking wet with kroil.

They all work mostly the same for cleaning IMO. The real difference lies with the ability to lubricate. I give the nod to balistol as the best all purpose CLP product. It cleans as well as anything, safe on pretty much any material, and does a pretty good job staying put as a lube. Grease maybe better if you use the right kind, but balistol works for me.

I will sometimes open a jar of Hoppes just for the smell. B)

Agree Nicky ... if they made a car scent hanger with Hoppes, I'd buy it!

Good feedback fellows ... all them things that make you say hmmmm..... :cool:

Think I'll keep my ol' CLP close at hand. Been using that stuff along time, and the Army sure loves it, so you know its got to be good.

Agree Nicky ... if they made a car scent hanger with Hoppes, I'd buy it!

Good feedback fellows ... all them things that make you say hmmmm..... :cool:

Think I'll keep my ol' CLP close at hand. Been using that stuff along time, and the Army sure loves it, so you know its got to be good.

A9CD8E29-9D15-473D-BAFF-2AEC62377C2B-485

Just dab a little out of the jar on it to recharge the goodness.

D&T arms has them.
  • Like 3

A friend had been using kroil on a Taurus millennium. After awhile the mag wouldn't drop. He handed me the pistol one day and said it wouldn't fire.

The kroil destroyed the round (primer) in the pipe and several other in the mag. I guess it swelled the frame too.

Not sure what else he does with his pistols but this one was soaking wet with kroil.

Your friend is the problem here not the Kroil.... LOL

There are numerous products out there with near the same mix as Kroil and even WD40 would have dudded out the primers...

• Like 1

Anyone know where you can get Kroil locally in Knoxville area. I really hate when I run out and I have to wait 3-5 for my order. I looked all over for it last spring but never found it, just wondering if it has made its way into sores around here yet.

I do not use it on my guns, I use CLP as a all in one.

Johnstone Supply has it.

Just an update. My brother and his girlfriend were having problems with their locks at home. Their old and I guess gunked up, a quick shot of balistol and 5 minutes jiggling keys around in their locks and everyone thinks I'm a locksmith. :rolleyes: went home after and did mine too, I never realized how bad they were until after.

Seriously, anything you would use wd40 for, balistol probably works better.

I've been using Ballistol CLP for more than 10 years and swear by it. I use it on all my guns, around the house, & it even keeps my car door's rubber seals from freezing up & sticking during the winter. It's also great for protecting leather holsters & boots. During WWII they even used it on cuts & scrapes & to kill lice. It's really handy stuff. :up: