Defensive shotgun- Do you have one? What do you load it with?

CQB Elite

When I was a LEO we were taught to load our shotguns with the first shot being fired a slug and the rest buckshot. That was back before patrol carbines were popular so I could see the slug giving you a little more range on the first shot. I was wondering how many of us have a defensive shotgun in their home and what do you load it with? Slugs? Buckshot? Birdshot? Good ole rock salt like Granny Clampett?
12 Ga. Federal LE Tactical Low Recoil 9 pellet 00 Buck in my Beretta 1301.

It has a velocity of 1145 fps. The FLITECONTROL wad is reputed help keep the pellet grouping nice and tight. Several manufacturers have similar types of pattern control wads for smooth bores, Hornaday VersaTite is another one.

Once I get the new barrel in it will be loaded with Hornady Coyote 3" Magnum nickle plated 00 buckshot, because I want my intruder to know he got dispatched with nothing but the finest...

I'm sure that will be a comfort. :rofl: :rolleyes:

Once I get the new barrel in it will be loaded with Hornady Coyote 3" Magnum nickle plated 00 buckshot, because I want my intruder to know he got dispatched with nothing but the finest...

That is very considerate

• Like 1

When I was a LEO we were taught to load our shotguns with the first shot being fired a slug and the rest buckshot. That was back before patrol carbines were popular so I could see the slug giving you a little more range on the first shot. I was wondering how many of us have a defensive shotgun in their home and what do you load it with? Slugs? Buckshot? Birdshot? Good ole rock salt like Granny Clampett?

I have a Benelli 12 ga pump and I only load buckshot.  It's not my preferred "go to" weapon but it's there!

• Like 1

I alternated slugs and heavy shot, its not buckshot but something in the upper middle that has a good number of pellets of a good diameter.  Using the normal 12 ga instead of magnums to get a couple more rounds (total is 11 +1 I think, or 10+1, I forget).

Edited by Jonnin

My shotguns are pretty far down on the defensive "depth chart" (I greatly prefer rifles for that sort of thing), but I do leave my 14" 870 loaded with Federal 000 buck, mainly because it patterns just beautifully out of that particular gun.  3 slugs and 3 more rounds of 000 on the sidesaddle. 

Wow, just how often do you have to use it defensively? ;)

- OS

So I wasn't the only one thinking this. I thought, "Man, that must be a ROUGH part of town and they MUST be on a first name basis with the area's responding officers." Would it be sorta like Ralph and Sam, something just nonchalant that's an every day thing, hahaha.

Sam_and_Ralph_clock.png

• Like 2

Good thing about being a portly feller is that we have plenty of cushion to act like a built in limb saver.

I gave a box of 3" 00 buck to a TGO friend a few years back. He's the opposite of a portly feller. I swear the gun was slinging him around the yard. :) My gun has a 3" chamber, but it gets 2 3/4 shells.

I gave a box of 3" 00 buck to a TGO friend a few years back. He's the opposite of a portly feller. I swear the gun was slinging him around the yard. :) My gun has a 3" chamber, but it gets 2 3/4 shells.

I've got some Nobel Sport 2  3/4 LE double naught, has 12 pellets instead of 9. Those babies must be loaded with frigging nuke material. It's worse than 3 inchers.

Even the Mosinites in the crew declined to shoot it more than once. I relegated it to "use only if SHTF and all other buckshot is expended" status myself.

- OS

• Like 1