Ever wonder what an ATF setup looks like?

• Moderators

It looks like this.

Hot tip: if some scroungy guy offers to sell you guns out of his trunk, he’s probably one of “ATF’s Finest” — a criminal working with the agency to make new first-time felons. A Wisconsin man is now about to be a literal jailhouse lawyer because he didn’t listen to his own sense that there was “something funny” about the convicted drug dealer who was insisting he buy the guns.

The rest can be found here.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=14082

I'm torn on this. First I read what you posted and formed an opinion about the ATF setting people up. Then I clicked the link and it seems some Joe bought a suppressor from someone's trunk along with two handguns. Any time some one offers to sell me something along the Class 3 line I will be having my fat arse running like Usain Bolt away from said deal. Just my 0.02.

• Like 5

You better believe 2 things for sure. I ain't buying anything out of the trunk of anyone's car that I am not familiar with and (2) I will be doing just like buck1032 and bolting at a high rate of speed if there is anything in that truck with a class III rating period!!!!!!..............jmho

I'd call it half setup, half sting. I am surprised it didn't get ruled entrapment, but this lawyer was undeniably a willing buyer.

Entrapment seems almost a non-legal concept anymore after various rulings through the years.

LE can suggest somebody bomb something, even help them build the bomb, then cuff 'em right before they do it, of course cops have been able to pose as hookers or johns and get solid convictions from their unwitting takers, etc.

Not even sure how you can "entrap" someone anymore, seems the law mostly just says if you did it, you did it. I guess pleading ignorance that the act was illegal at all might be about all you can do ... oh wait, that doesn't work. ;)

- OS

• Like 1
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1130226" timestamp="1395857868"]Entrapment seems almost a non-legal concept anymore after various rulings through the years. LE can suggest somebody bomb something, even help them build the bomb, then cuff 'em right before they do it, of course cops have been able to pose as hookers or johns and get solid convictions from their unwitting takers, etc. Not even sure how you can "entrap" someone anymore, seems the law mostly just says if you did it, you did it. I guess pleading ignorance that the act was illegal at all might be about all you can do ... oh wait, that doesn't work. ;) - OS[/quote] Yeah, happened with the "terrorist plot" thwarted up in Washington. They befriended an 18 year old on an extremist website, then provided him training and explosives to take out a government building, then arrested him when he tried. Who do they think they're saving by doing that. Go out and find real bad guys rather than trying to make them. That's what third world countries do. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I hope you read it completely. In exchange for reducing a charge or going free, a guilty man agrees to find another man and make

him into a criminal. There's nothing to be torn about. It doesn't matter if it's opera tickets or firearms. It's the damned principle involved

and used by your government against you and I. That's okay with you?

It also fits like a glove the more laws are written, the larger the pool they have to use tools like this.

As far as the buyer is concerned, he should have known better, even though buying a suppressor shouldn't be illegal...period.

However, I see where you're coming from on the way they entrapped him. Letting one person off the hook on crimes he was convicted for should only be reserved for catching really big fish who pose a greater threat. That doesn't seem to be the case at all here.

At a Nashville gun show once, I saw a guy sell a gentleman with a table a Colt Delta Elite for a very cheap price. Soon after, I saw a couple more guys walk up to the same table and ask if he had a Colt Delta Elite for sale. He told them no. They got quite unruly, and the other guy came back soon after. As far as I know, they finally left unhappy, and the guy with the table went home with a screaming deal on a 10mm. I expect that was an ATF setup. If not, I don't have any other explanation for the display I witnessed.

• Like 1

I hope you read it completely. In exchange for reducing a charge or going free, a guilty man agrees to find another man and make

him into a criminal. There's nothing to be torn about. It doesn't matter if it's opera tickets or firearms. It's the damned principle involved

and used by your government against you and I. That's okay with you?

It also fits like a glove the more laws are written, the larger the pool they have to use tools like this.

I did read it completely and do agree with you that the whole operation screams of corruption. However it would have ended very simply if the guy had just smiled and ran far away.