need some ideas for a church shoot

my82cam

I want to get to know some of the new guys in our church better, so, I have invited 3 of them to go out and spend the day shooting and riding four wheelers.  I told them I would try to keep the cost around $60 per person for ammo but may be a tad more if needed.  I have never organized a shoot before and am just looking for some ideas or pointers on how to do it.  I am going to go over safety rules and tips first.  Have decided not to shoot shotguns, as all 3 guys don't have any experience shooting and they may get frustrated.  I have lots of handguns in all calibers, large and small rifles and ar15s and ak47s.  any shooting games out there that is good for 4 people to play? we play put-out with shotguns and clay pigeons but not sure how to do that with rifles or handguns.  any advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're a brave soul taking on three newbies at once. 

Why not bring a shotgun?  It's most satisfying to completely pepper something (or just completely destroy) with a scatter gun.  I'd think first-timers would have fun with that.

You may already be thinking of this, but don't just punch paper. Clay pigeons taped to a paper plate, plastic jugs, fruit, etc will make it a better time.

I have never really played any shooting "games" other than picking a target and each firing one shot to see who hit closest to center. The card idea is a good one though.

If you've got a good berm, set up some clays in there and shoot them until they're all a pile of dust. Works with handguns to make the initial shot and break them, then move back a bit and use the rifles to finish the job. If the new guys are having trouble give them shotguns with birdshot.
A couple rows of 10 or so clays in each, with each shooter at the line racing to break all of the clays in his row before the other shooter does is a regular shooting game that we play.

We even play that game in the backyard with pellet & airsoft guns, although it is more fun with a .22LR loaded with only 10 rounds (or however many clays are in each row) so that a "miss" automatically means that shooter who misses must reload at some point to finish.
  • Like 1

A couple rows of 10 or so clays in each, with each shooter at the line racing to break all of the clays in his row before the other shooter does is a regular shooting game that we play.

We even play that game in the backyard with pellet & airsoft guns, although it is more fun with a .22LR loaded with only 10 rounds (or however many clays are in each row) so that a "miss" automatically means that shooter who misses must reload at some point to finish.

Never done that many clays, but one of my pistol drills is 3 clays a foot apart each, 3 to 5 rounds loaded, between 5 and 15 yards. the extra 2 rounds lets you finish a clay if you do not break the entire thing. 

Never done that many clays, but one of my pistol drills is 3 clays a foot apart each, 3 to 5 rounds loaded, between 5 and 15 yards. the extra 2 rounds lets you finish a clay if you do not break the entire thing.

I used a 4'x8' piece of plywood & some large framing nails hammered through it so that the bottom of each clay rested (was cradled on) on two nails, it was simple & worked well.

Initially our rule was that the clay HAD to come completely off it's resting place to count, but some of those clays can break/bust in such a way that just a small cresent piece can stay on even after repeated hits, seemed unfair so we switched to simply any "hit" on the clay counted, regardless if it shattered or fell.

Reactive targets of any sort....  water balloons, flour balloons, steel targets (dueling tree?), clay birds, jugs full of water with a little food coloring, ...  everybody likes blowing stuff up. 

And finish off the day with some tannerite, but don't tell them.  Make up some sort of contest and the winner gets first shot at a "special" target. 

• Like 1

Reactive targets of any sort....  water balloons, flour balloons, steel targets (dueling tree?), clay birds, jugs full of water with a little food coloring, ...  everybody likes blowing stuff up. 

And finish off the day with some tannerite, but don't tell them.  Make up some sort of contest and the winner gets first shot at a "special" target. 

+1  we did that with a new shooter, tannerite in pumpkin from 100 yards away.  he squeezed it off......KA-BOOM.  it was great!  we had to ensure him that he didn't do something wrong, it was supposed to be like that

Helium balloons at 100+/- yards are fun for a golf shoot out. Moving target helium balloon on string. Pistols less than 50 I did it at 300 yards at a buddies one time with ar's. It was a blast. Most people don't have that kind of range. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union...... Edited by jtmaze

Battleship is fun - like the game, you've got a target with your oponnents ship - take turns shooting. There are some pre-printed, and you could make one yourself.

Set up a target at 50yds or so, and get the best grouping with 12ga slugs. (Also fun with .410, but more expensive)

Cut playing cards in half with a .22, break match sticks, etc.

Get a couple of the reactive ground targets (ball, star, box, etc) and see who can push them the farthest.

A couple of bowling pins tied up with rope. Cut the rope!

"HORSE" set up multiple similar targets. First person shoots, second person duplicates - have to call your shot.

Write a word or draw a picture (smiliey face, LOL or something)

12 empty shotgun hulls (or other bright small item) set up on a 2x4 or similar. Set up like

0 0 0 0 0 0        0 0 0 0 0 0

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

First to knock theirs over wins.

Get an old army man (green ones on flat plastic bases) staple to a 2x4, play hangman, IE guess letters/the word. Wrong letter guesses means someone takes a shot. Army man needs to be fairly good distance, and rifle should be .22 with iron sights. Need a spotter - keep guessing letters till the army man eats it. OR modify by having multiple army men and you have to lose the squad to lose at hangman.

Tape some old paintballs on a board/cardboard and take shots at them - they're moderately reactive. Can be used on other things too, ie tape one to the X ring - run a turkey shoot. 20ga - whoever breaks the paintball moves to the next round. - repeat as needed.

"Twister" get some cans of spraypaint (diff colors) and spray some large circles on boards like the twister game - red, yellow, green blue - attach clay pigeons in the colors. Call a color/position, first to shoot it wins - can be modified, IE shoot all blue - two green - one red, etc.

There's lots of targets out there you can print off too - bowling, the flies - shoot the flies - "where's waldo!"

Be creative!

I could bring a shotgun no problem, but meant more of clay pigeon shooting.  card game is not a bad idea, how do you play poker?? lol

I enjoy playing poker for .22 ammunition instead of money.  Bring a few bricks over and I'll be glad to teach you how to play. 

• Like 2

If you want to have fun with balloon targets try this. Fill a single with the high expansion spray foam insulation and put it at about fifty yard. Then you tell them that the first person to pop the balloon with iron sights gets 100 bucks. We did it one day and I have never laughed so hard in my life.

If you want to have fun with balloon targets try this. Fill a single with the high expansion spray foam insulation and put it at about fifty yard. Then you tell them that the first person to pop the balloon with iron sights gets 100 bucks. We did it one day and I have never laughed so hard in my life.

This

is

AWESOME!!!!!

My new favorite is cheap cans of dollar store spray paint. Shot at from at least 50 yards, with a centerfire rifle. I haven't found anyone man, woman, or child, that didn't giggle when the can flies around like a rocket after hit