Hey Officer....What do you make?

I know there are "bad" cops out there who bring a lot of criticism to the law enforcement profession, and it's a shame. There are a lot of good cops out there who make life a lot more civilized than it would be otherwise and we would be in a mess were it not for them. Someone posted this on Facebook today and I thought I would pass it on. It really made me think.

1932416_10152261092813726_1504356719_n.j

Edited by waynesan
  • Like 7

I think far too many people over value themselves and their professions. Romans 12:3

A man who provides for his family and is content with the choice and agreements he has made doesn't need to pander for reinforcement, compliments, gratitude, or favor.

Service only counts if it is selfless.

Stuff like the above, while meant to be in thanks, demeans the server and the service. LE is a job. If they don't like the hours, pay, benefits, etc then they can choose to do something else just like any other job and that goes for any profession. When I hear this kinda of stuff that tries to makes any one sound like a saint and claim some noble service, I have to ask would they do it for free? That is true service.

Thanks for a job well done, but no saint hood for taking a good paying job. Regardless of the job.

• Like 8
Not a thing wrong with being thankful for cops. Most of them put more thought into their career decision than the average 18 yr old who joins the military. Yet, we don't have a problem thanking the military for their service. So, why not thank cops and other civil servants who take life threatening jobs?
  • Like 5

Not a thing wrong with being thankful for cops. Most of them put more thought into their career decision than the average 18 yr old who joins the military. Yet, we don't have a problem thanking the military for their service. So, why not thank cops and other civil servants who take life threatening jobs?

On that note, why don't we thank the school nurse, or the janitor, or the dog catcher, etc.? They all work hard and provide someone a valuable service. Shall we buy everyone on a payroll somewhere a trophy?

• Like 1
Guest semiautots

Meh, more than minimum wage, but I'm not rich.  ;)

Work for Metro and you can get $25/hr for standing around in the street from the rent-a-cops.

[quote name="gregintenn" post="1131553" timestamp="1396101571"]On that note, why don't we thank the school nurse, or the janitor, or the dog catcher, etc.? They all work hard and provide someone a valuable service. Shall we buy everyone on a payroll somewhere a trophy?[/quote] Who cares whether cops, firemen, or soldiers take the jobs they choose for the thrill or the glory or the prestige or the pay or the power or a sense of duty and service? The fact still stands that many of us respect them for that choice and want to show that appreciation from time to time. That's our choice, just like belittling their contributions is other peoples' choices. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I'm pretty good with this and the OP's statement meme. Respect is a two way street. 

Work for Metro and you can get $25/hr for standing around in the street from the rent-a-cops.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "from the rent-a-cops," but I used to be an officer with the Metro Nashville Police Dept (I left in 2000 to go work for a smaller agency).

Since you quoted me, tell us about your vast knowledge.

• Like 1
[quote name="gregintenn" post="1131553" timestamp="1396101571"]On that note, why don't we thank the school nurse, or the janitor, or the dog catcher, etc.? They all work hard and provide someone a valuable service. [/quote] Hell yeah! I celebrate those folks who make very little but do much for our community. We have a great Animal Control in our community, with paid employees and volunteers who are compassionate and facilitate the adoption of neglected and abused animals. I love those people and my wife and I go out if our way with donations and foster assistance to help them make mission. Teachers? I love me some teachers. Doesn't pay much, but they do it anyway. There are some real heroes out there who spend a career in teaching making squat. Nurses, janitors, coal miners. Lotta jobs out there with folks that don't make much but deserve our respect. Sure, they do it to make a living, but those are jobs that service each of us and a job most of us aren't willing to do. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
Cop2_zpscf263138.jpg

Don't credit me with this mongrel prose. It has many parents, at least 535,000 of them policemen.

A policeman is a composite of what all men are, a mingling of saint and sinner, dust and deity.

Culled statistics wave the fan over the stinkers and underscore instances of dishonesty and brutality because they are "news". What that really means is that they are exceptional, unusual, not commonplace.

Buried under the froth is the fact - Less than one-half of one percent of policemen misfit that uniform. That's a better average than you'd find among clergymen.

What is a policeman made of? He, of all men, is at once the most needed and the most unwanted.

He's a strangely nameless creature who is "sir" to his face and "fuzz" behind his back. He must be such a diplomat that he can settle differences between individuals so that each will think he won.

But...if the policeman is neat, he's conceited. If he's careless, he's a bum. If he's pleasant, he's a flirt. If he's not, he's a grouch.

He must make in an instant decisions that would require months for a lawyer. But...if he hurries, he's careless. If he's deliberate, he's lazy.

He must be first to an accident and infallible with a diagnosis. He must be able to start breathing, stop bleeding, tie splints and, above all, be sure the victim goes home without a limp. Or expect to be sued.

The police officer must know every gun, draw on the run and hit where it doesn't hurt. He must be able to whip two men twice his size and half his age without damaging his uniform and without being "brutal". If you hit him, he's a coward. If he hits you, he's a bully.

A policeman must know everything - and not tell. He must know where all the sin is - and not partake. The policeman must, from a single human hair, be able to describe the crime, the weapon and the criminal - and tell you where the criminal is hiding.

But...if he catches the criminal, he's lucky. If he doesn't, he's a dunce. If he gets promoted, he has political pull. If he doesn't, he's a dullard.

The policeman must chase bum leads to a dead end, stake out ten nights to tag one witness who saw it happen - but refuses to remember. He runs files and writes reports until his eyes ache to build a case against some felon who'll get dealt out by a shameless shamus or an "honorable" who isn't.

The policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, and a gentlemen.

And, of course, he'll have to be a genius...for he'll have to feed a family on a policeman's salary.

By Paul Harvey

• Like 4
Guest semiautots

Not exactly sure what you mean by "from the rent-a-cops," but I used to be an officer with the Metro Nashville Police Dept (I left in 2000 to go work for a smaller agency).

Since you quoted me, tell us about your vast knowledge.

Every time there is a road closure, there must be traffic control.  There are several companies run by former cops that pay off-duty officers to stand by the closure and direct traffic.  I had a business on 4th & Demonbreun and got to know the cops from the Asst Chief down to the motorcycle cops.  Lloyd Poteete has the most business.  He pays $25 an hour.  I also went through the flood and the rebuild of Schermerhorn.  4th & Demonbreun is just about the center of Nashville now.  We had cops from Portland, Dickson, Troopers, deputies.  Got to know 'em all. 

Is that enough "vast knowledge" for ya, @#$!?

Every time there is a road closure, there must be traffic control.  There are several companies run by former cops that pay off-duty officers to stand by the closure and direct traffic.  I had a business on 4th & Demonbreun and got to know the cops from the Asst Chief down to the motorcycle cops.  Lloyd Poteete has the most business.  He pays $25 an hour.  I also went through the flood and the rebuild of Schermerhorn.  4th & Demonbreun is just about the center of Nashville now.  We had cops from Portland, Dickson, Troopers, deputies.  Got to know 'em all. 

Is that enough "vast knowledge" for ya, @#$!?

Lol, sure.

http://www.nashville.gov/Police-Department/Field-Operations/Secondary-Employment/Employing-Off-Duty-Officers.aspx

As you brought up traffic control, option #3 is/was the usual.

So yeah, that's plenty of your "vast knowledge."  Thanks for letting us all see it...

Edited by TN-popo
Imagine if law enforcement turned into a hard line business with no compassion, enthusiasm,and was ran like a bank or business where policy and procedure is adhered to in a rigid manner? Kind of like banks, insurance companies and investment firms??
Imagine if an officer told someone sorry I don't do CPR for strangers. The law says I don't have to, or call us after you call every person you know before reporting your child missing because we don't respond to speculation.

Ask a banker at a higher level to flex policy or procedure they'll laugh at u while taking a million a year home for a job their frat brother hooked em up with.when someone tells someone who works in public service o find another job that pays more money and move on I say fuck off. Most adults in public service enjoy helping others to a degree. Some help beyond their minimum expectations. That's the reward. Crap pay is a unwanted evil that goes with helping others for a living. unless of course you're one of those dirtbags that claims their with a public safety organization. They collect a million bucks over the phone and get to keep 2/3 of it to help the public servants that need financial aid.
Most of us in mid tn know Lloyd Poteet, who does hire officers for security and other needs. Most in public service work second jobs because there is a desire to live and not just survive on the shit wages paid. Public service folks usually deserve a lot more than the pay at hand. Does that banker deserve a million a year for showing up to perform menial a tasks? Or does a complete stranger giving mouth to mouth res to a 6 mo old baby or 90 year old woman deserve it??

Everyone needs to earn a living but generally speaking le pay is
Crap. Teacher pay is crap as other service jobs are agreed. I don't think any officers fireman or ps folks are looking for anything except a simple thanks once in a while and money at the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 2
I respect your job and some jobs have higher risk. You knew the pay, hours and commitment when you signed up. When did job duties and tasks become a badge of honor? If I don't perform at my job the 18 people who report to me don't get paid which results in their families not being able able to buy food. Where does that put me as compared to others? Actually you shouldn't care...just respect that I work and treat others with dignity and respect
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with thanking someone for a job well done, be it a police officer, a sales clerk, or a street sweeper.  When a person who is in a given position expects the rest of the world to bow down and kiss their feet I certainly have no more respect for them regardless of whether or not they have any authority.  I've needed and received police assistance before, I was always thankful and let the officers know it, but like I previously mentioned I'm glad to thank anyone who did their job which resulted my benefit.  Heck I usually thank the minimum wage employees in the drive through that hand me my food, it's polite.

• Like 3

Who cares whether cops, firemen, or soldiers take the jobs they choose for the thrill or the glory or the prestige or the pay or the power or a sense of duty and service? The fact still stands that many of us respect them for that choice and want to show that appreciation from time to time. That's our choice, just like belittling their contributions is other peoples' choices.

Who has belittled anyone in this thread? I'll bet it's difficult to move around with that gigantic chip on your shoulder. Just because one doesn't always bow down at the altar of the FOP, that doesn't mean they are cop bashing or belittling anyone. They do a job, they get paid. That's sort of how the rest of the world works.

This day and age, I admire anyone who works hard and makes an honest living. This includes, but is not limited to law enforcement officers.

Edited by gregintenn
[quote name="gregintenn" post="1131986" timestamp="1396187664"]Who has belittled anyone in this thread? I'll bet it's difficult to move around with that gigantic chip on your shoulder. Just because one doesn't always bow down at the altar of the FOP, that doesn't mean they are cop bashing or belittling anyone. They do a job, they get paid. That's sort of how the rest of the world works. This day and age, I admire anyone who works hard and makes an honest living. This includes, but is not limited to law enforcement officers.[/quote] No chip on my shoulder, you're the one all riled up and making personal attacks over a choice of words you disagree with. If I find it belittling to suggest that being a cop is no more worthy of praise than being a janitor, that's my call. And I call 'em like I see 'em. If you feel that all jobs are equal and anyone who appreciates one more than another is bowing down to some altar, that's your call. No reason to get personal. That's what gets threads locked. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

No chip on my shoulder, you're the one all riled up and making personal attacks over a choice of words you disagree with. If I find it belittling to suggest that being a cop is no more worthy of praise than being a janitor, that's my call. And I call 'em like I see 'em. If you feel that all jobs are equal and anyone who appreciates one more than another is bowing down to some altar, that's your call. No reason to get personal. That's what gets threads locked.

:up: Fair enough.

• Like 1
Guest semiautots

I think that if people "thanked" whomever they felt "thankful for" on a more regular basis .... the world would be a slightly better place.

You're right.  Thanks.