Faraday cage and what to put in it...

I just finished reading One Second After so I'm thinking I might see if I can figure out a Faraday cage. I know a metal box, or wire box is basically what it is. I've already got an old all metal cabinet with double front doors. Was wondering if this might suffice? It was probably made in the 50s-60s, not made of heavy sheet metal but it seems to be solid all around. Wondering if the door cracks might be a problem?

Then what should I keep in it? Was thinking a couple of FRS radios, am/fm radio, led flashlights, spare batteries?

First you might want to read some literature on the scientific accuracy of the book. I read it too. A great read and very thought provoking. However, not rooted in reality. I'm not scientist and neither is the author of the book. Best you seek some neutral sources to challenge the claims made in the book in regard to the effectiveness of nukes (especially low yield NK nukes) detonated 25 miles above earth as well as how our grid, transportation means and modern electronics will react to an EMP of varying yields. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A metal cabinet would work but you probably want to modify it to make sure that the doors are properly grounded to the main part of the frame (screws & wire). The cracks in the door should not be an issue.

Edited by tnguy

I'm not jumping on the crazy train here, but I do have some things I want to keep in storage in general such as the things I mentioned. Just thought if I could also cover the emp angle with what I have it would be good. I really think it's more likely some other circumstance would come to pass, but if I can do a little tweaking to what I already have, so much the better. I'll check and see how connected the doors are to the rest of the cabinet. I've actually got two of these cabinets  and didn't really know what to do with them as I've just replaced them with some plastic Rubbermaid ones that are larger. I hate throwing away perfectly good storage. Just thinking this might be a good use for them.

Maybe ground the box?  This may be overkill, but IIRC (my electricity and mag physics is rusty) EMP can jump thru minor shielding and grounding it should help redirect it away from the inside.  Someone else may know if this is the way to go or not.   I have only used a cage to stop interference from small sources, not a heavy hitter,  such as shielding a cable from an motor or the like...  its not the same.

I dunno, a phone, a laptop, radio, lights and batteries,  anything electronic or electric that you would put into your bug-out bag should go in this.   I also can't remember if emp can set off ammo under some conditions (???).

Guest theconstitutionrocks

couple of ways to do it...

1 is a metal box that seals well (ammo can), that you ground.

2. The second method is a fine, and I mean FINE metal screen over a  frame...don't think that will work?,,,take your cell phone in there and try to get signal. A gunsafe/metal cabinet will also work, just make sure the stuff inside isn't touching metal

Guest theconstitutionrocks

First you might want to read some literature on the scientific accuracy of the book. I read it too. A great read and very thought provoking. However, not rooted in reality. I'm not scientist and neither is the author of the book. Best you seek some neutral sources to challenge the claims made in the book in regard to the effectiveness of nukes (especially low yield NK nukes) detonated 25 miles above earth as well as how our grid, transportation means and modern electronics will react to an EMP of varying yields. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it should be HIGH yield nukes...that's one of the reasons the Russians had (maybe still have) about 5-6 of their SS-18s loaded with a 20MT warhead. Couple those blown over the central US...lights out. Course if that happens there will be a lot more dangerous stuff to worry about

I've been looking into this, and am on the lookout for a couple of yard-sale microwave ovens to keep on a shelf in my garage to store electronics.  Seems to me if they keep microwave energy in, they should keep EMP energy out pretty well.  Seems to be a lot of debate as to whether or not a Faraday cage/box needs to be grounded - easy enough to plug it in to ground a microwave.  I also keep a couple of the anti-static bags used for computer chips, etc in my daily carry stuff to keep any unused electronics (ham hc, kindle, etc.) in when they are not being used. 

These precautions may not save everything if it hits the fan, but should help for a lower-level (and much more possible IMO) event.  I also downloaded a cool sun monitoring app for my iPhone that alerts me if big solar flares are coming - might just give me time to stuff things into a bag or microwave.

I saw an article about testing your Faraday cage or box by turning up the volume on your cell phone, placing it in the box, then calling it from another cell phone.  If it rings, it means that the signal is getting through, as would harmful energy.  Makes sense to me...

My question is that if an emp hits and you save some of your electronics, who are you going to contact considering virtually everything and everybody else was knocked out. Use that space for something that won't be a paper weight. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 2

Here’s what I’d keep protected:

Tablet/smart phone and e-book, pre-loaded with Topographic maps, first-aid info, edible plant guide, etc.

AM, FM, and shortwave emergency radio receiver

Wristwatch

Hand-held Ham Radios

Flashlights and batteries

Laptop computer

Solar power panel (which will charge at least some of these electronics)

I understand that the phone network and internet may not work, but if the equipment itself is intact, they will still be extremely valuable resources – worth protecting if possible.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Guest cchelsoi

If you are worried about cracks and seals not being all there you could cover them up with some Aluminum tape, that should work. I put that on the wholes on my safe to complete the seal. You could probably give it some slack if you wanted to seal the door cracks too, it will be hard but I think its possible.

I have a close family member that may be needing a pacemaker, and this got me thinking about electronic medical devices and EMP. I wonder if an "MRI-compliant" pacemaker would survive emp. I wish I could just put a spare in a faraday cage, but we couldn't change it out anyway...

I'm not paranoid or even expecting emp, but why not keep a few items safe just in case. Here's what I like to keep protected:

Flashlights
Old cell phone with DC charger with vital records on a SD card
2 handheld HAM radios (with DC charger)
Small AC inverter
Old android tablet that I have with a DC charger (also will accept SD card)
SD cards with important information
Watch
2 smaller solar panels
Portable NOAA WX radio/flashlight/hand crank charger
4 FRS/GMRS 2-way radios

If I need transportation, I guess I will be driving the OLD Ford tractor, lol Edited by Batman
  • Like 1